December 06, 2019, 12:15:50 PM

Author Topic: Chris Simms & Aaron Rodgers  (Read 617 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Chris Simms & Aaron Rodgers
« on: July 17, 2019, 03:22:54 PM »
Worth the watch.

Rodgers comes across as “real” and wants it all to work out with new coach MLF.

Also, Rodgers is a hell of a good golfer.

https://youtu.be/4G2xAm8r-qk
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 03:23:32 PM by dannobanano »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Chris Simms & Aaron Rodgers
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 04:09:52 PM »
Saw this earlier, but didn't bother watching because it sounded like a lot of rehashing of issues, with the same comments being made again. But when you suggested it was worth a watch, gave it a try. Good stuff. Rodgers comes across as focused, intense, and confident without going overboard. Definitely worth a watch. Thanks for the link and recommendation.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 01:24:25 AM »
You can boil all of the conversation down to how you feel overall about what was said, the way it was said and the clues it gives to the man, rather than the player. Pretty positive vibes, for me.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 06:04:11 AM »
The offense is designed to take pressure off of Rodgers.  Im just not sure Rodgers can do that.  Im sure it will start out that way, but a few losses does Rodgers revert back to I gotta do this myself mode.  Thats not a slam on Rodgers I just think it might be hard for him to give up some of the reigns.  That would be a huge change for him.  We'll see.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 06:34:19 AM »
I don't think it will be "does Rodgers revert back to I gotta do this myself mode", and part of the reason that I make that claim is that there will be "trust" by Rodgers in, not just the new system, but in the HC calling a different style game than MM.

After all, this is a "NEW" offense that AR is still learning and not at all like the one that he's played in for the last 11+ years. Yes, there's going to be growing pains in establishing this offense, and I highly doubt AR goes off script if the offense takes a little time to find its legs. He will trust the new HC thought process on calling a game. Just listen to what he said in the interview with Simms about San Fran's offense (which GB's will strongly resembles).

Plus, MLF will need to "trust" what AR see's in the defense at the LOS, his experience in diagnosing what's in front of him, and having the option to change a play (likely to a scripted few choices set forth by MLF).

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/03/aaron-rodgers-on-audibles-in-new-offense-most-important-thing-is-trust/

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 08:00:38 AM »
Souds great Danno,  and I certainly hope it turns out that way, but a few weeks back Rodgers was complaining about having freedom in this offense, and ability to have a voice.  Perhaps he's had a chance to see more of the offense and has bought in?

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 08:52:03 AM »
 Great link, thanks for that. Excited to see how audibles without changing formations work out with this new offense, should be lethal with Rodgers. Need to get off to a fast start, hopefully the defense can take the next step and help until the offense hits on all cylinders.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 11:40:15 AM »
Seems like a lot of enthusiasm, by everybody associated with the Packers, and with Rodgers too. 
I don't know what he was doing before the interview started, maybe walking up a mountain and meeting Sims someplace; but thought it was interesting that he was all breathless. 

PFF guys don't care for him, it seems, but Billy Turner got mentioned favorably in this interview, too, by Rodgers.  Seems like the players believe he's going to be effective.  Also Rodgers really likes/respects Martinez. 

Seems like Rodgers appreciated what Shanahan has done with his offense, so seems optimistic.  There was a passing comment about defenses, not sure if he was thinking about having figured out the Packers offense, or whether he meant that they're figuring out the Shanahan offense; I think the former. 

Almost the first Q was about Mahomes, and Rodgers emphasized that what he liked about Mahomes was going "off script", Simms said something about that's your game, and Aaron agreed, something to the effect of "that's my game".  Seems pretty consistent that he expects to go "off script".  Again, I'm not assuming trouble there; every QB is calling audibles.  And the "script" is presumably going to have multiple built-in options, kind of scripted by the defensive responses.  So I'm not sure this is going to be an issue; but if you're looking for Rodgers to just run the play call, nothing in that interview suggests he's been convinced that doing so is the way to go.  :)

I like all the enthusiasm, though.  Think it's healthy for a guy and for the locker room. 

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 01:25:38 PM »
Seems like a lot of enthusiasm, by everybody associated with the Packers, and with Rodgers too. 
I don't know what he was doing before the interview started, maybe walking up a mountain and meeting Sims someplace; but thought it was interesting that he was all breathless. 

PFF guys don't care for him, it seems, but Billy Turner got mentioned favorably in this interview, too, by Rodgers.  Seems like the players believe he's going to be effective.  Also Rodgers really likes/respects Martinez. 

Seems like Rodgers appreciated what Shanahan has done with his offense, so seems optimistic.  There was a passing comment about defenses, not sure if he was thinking about having figured out the Packers offense, or whether he meant that they're figuring out the Shanahan offense; I think the former. 

Almost the first Q was about Mahomes, and Rodgers emphasized that what he liked about Mahomes was going "off script", Simms said something about that's your game, and Aaron agreed, something to the effect of "that's my game".  Seems pretty consistent that he expects to go "off script".  Again, I'm not assuming trouble there; every QB is calling audibles.  And the "script" is presumably going to have multiple built-in options, kind of scripted by the defensive responses.  So I'm not sure this is going to be an issue; but if you're looking for Rodgers to just run the play call, nothing in that interview suggests he's been convinced that doing so is the way to go.  :)

I like all the enthusiasm, though.  Think it's healthy for a guy and for the locker room.

Agree,  its a good thing.  A big key to potential success is Rodgers buying in.  Once you get that and a little success, this offense's confidence could spread like wildfire.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 01:53:38 PM »
Pretty sure that what Rodgers means by going "off script" is when the play and the pass pro break down and he gets flushed from the pocket and still has to make a play.

Edit: Watched it again and Rodgers said when he goes "off schedule". So "script" can/could be audibles. (Cue Rosanna Rosanna Danna...…….."Never mind!")
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 02:52:58 PM by dannobanano »

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 09:41:40 PM »
Thanks for the "off schedule" versus "off script" correction. 

Again, it's pretty clear that whatever MLF has told him, that he hasn't persuaded him that going "off schedule" is bad or prohibited.  Rodgers if pretty forthright about it here; in earlier interview I heard him talk about "being creative" (as opposed to just replicating the Shanahan offense), and I think the "trust" comments were perhaps more aligned with wanting the coach to trust him to improvise, rather than self-talking to himself to trust the coaches plays that were called before he saw the defensive setup.  Another interview alluded to what happens in practice, versus what happens once the first real-season play happens and a pass-rush is on.