August 20, 2019, 01:17:12 PM

Author Topic: Dean Lowry extended  (Read 493 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Dean Lowry extended
« on: July 23, 2019, 02:26:58 PM »

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Dean Lowry extended
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 02:50:01 PM »
Haven’t seen this posted yet.

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-sign-dl-dean-lowry-to-contract-extension

Likely spells the end for Mike Daniels in Green Bay if it wasnt going to happen already.  Any cap advantages to cutting him now or is it better to play out the season?

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 03:17:45 PM »
Three years for just over $20m ($6m signing bonus).

Pretty good numbers for a guy who played more than 65% of the defensive snaps last year. The knock on him was always his short arms, but he compensates well for that with good hand use to negate his natural disadvantage.....and don't forget he is a big dude (listed at 6'6", 296). Reliable, solid talent, always available, still only 25 years old.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 03:19:39 PM »
This is an interesting re-sign to me and frankly surprising. The only contract that seems to draw a parallel for me here would be Lane Taylor.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 03:33:14 PM »
Likely spells the end for Mike Daniels in Green Bay if it wasnt going to happen already.  Any cap advantages to cutting him now or is it better to play out the season?

From my reading of his contract for this year, the Packers could save $8.3 million of cap, while having $2.4 million in dead cap. If I'm wrong, please correct me. That written, I think it would be much better to keep Daniels around this year and let him walk in FA next year. He is still a very effective player, and is a leader on the defense. Unless he is beaten out by a younger, cheaper player. But that is what training camp and the exhibition games are meant to establish.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 07:04:25 PM »
This is an interesting re-sign to me and frankly surprising. The only contract that seems to draw a parallel for me here would be Lane Taylor.

Wow, I'm surprised too: both by the fact, by the timing, and by the size of the contract.  I'd thought it was possible that they might be interested in keeping him as a rotation guy, but I would have imagined more in the $10-15/3 range.

It's interesting.  As with the Billy Turner signing, I think it must reflect a pretty positive management scouting and evaluation.  Time will tell whether management's judgment is wise. 

Pettine's already had the guy for a full year, and should have had opportunity to evaluate his scope and limitations.  Interesting that they respect and project him favorably enough to want a deal like this. 

I do think it's nice that with Daniels expiring, they won't be in a position to be losing two primary/core linemen. 

Having a really smart guy in the position group is also kind of nice.  Martinez for ILB; Lowry at D-line; Adams for WR; hopefully Amos at safety? 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 09:22:56 PM »
$20.3 for three years. BUT, until the contract details are announced, the real cost is unknown. The original extension numbers always sound more impressive than the reality of the contract. Still, this seems to be another indication that Daniels is on his final year with the Packers. Also, seems to be an indication the team is getting ready for the big re-sign of Clark.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 07:23:54 AM »
The Packers have declined because D+D hasn't worked well recently.  I think it's a very good sign to have some guys being viewed as worthy of 2nd contracts, and worth solid rotation-foundation contracts.  I'm no scout, for sure.  So if Gute and Pettine and all of the scouting staff project Lowry as being worth that deal, I'm happy.  They've got all the film, and they think he's worthy, that's great.  Obviously is our evaluators are dumb and our D+D stinks, we're going to be cooked.  Just gotta hope they're smart, and increasingly effective. 

Other tangent:  Things can get stale quickly, of course, so there is value in shaking things up.  But I think there is some value in stability, too.  With Smith and Smith, and Gary, and Lowry, I presume Clark will get extended at some point, and Martinez as well.  Could be an unusually consistent core of box defenders.  Seems to me an unusually large collection of stable, stay-together, nobody-too-old guys in the box.  For stunting and communicating and stuff, that could be variably helpful.  Likewise if coaching staff has the same group for a while, they should be able to figure out how to optimize their usage of their capabilities. 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 07:25:29 AM »
And just like that, Daniels is released!  Wow.  That was quick. 

Offline NOLAPackerfan

• Rookie
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 07:38:16 AM »
I think Id have rather seen Graham or Tramon cut, and Daniels given a chance to battle through camp...Im sure they know something I dont though.

Maybe they really like Keke and/or Lancaster/Adams
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:38:57 AM by NOLAPackerfan »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 07:39:02 AM »
Not impossible to think they are clearing cap space to extend Martinez right now as well.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 07:40:28 AM »
Something tells me that Daniel's may have a lingering injury from last year. Otherwise, a trade ( even a 7th round pick) seems reasonable.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 08:19:26 AM »
Not impossible to think they are clearing cap space to extend Martinez right now as well.

Gotta deal with Fackrell too.  Tough call on what to pay him.  Martinez should get a pretty good raise.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 08:29:42 AM »
Martinez is ahead of Fackrell and Allison in the extension pecking order.

Fackrell had one good year in 2018 as a situational rusher.

Martinez is the field general for this defense. He comes first, and doing his extension earlier rather than later makes total sense in the long term future of Pettine’s defense.

If Fackrell posts another 10 sacks and Allison puts up 1,000 yds receiving, they can talk extension after the season.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 08:40:35 AM »

Gotta deal with Fackrell too.  Tough call on what to pay him.  Martinez should get a pretty good raise.

Fackrell won't be re-signed. Like Daniels he is not a ideal scheme fit for Pettine's defense, wouldn't be a surprise if Fackrell was traded during training camp.