August 20, 2019, 01:23:56 PM

Author Topic: Dean Lowry extended  (Read 494 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Dean Lowry extended
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 09:39:17 AM »
Apparently the Packers tried to trade Daniels but go no acceptable offers. He wants to sign with a SB contender. So he could end up in NE.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/packers-shockingly-release-top-defensive-veteran-on-training-camp-eve-save-millions-in-cap-space/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2019, 11:01:38 AM »
...Fackrell won't be re-signed. Like Daniels he is not a ideal scheme fit for Pettine's defense, wouldn't be a surprise if Fackrell was traded during training camp.

I've wondered about that, and am interested in your perspective on the "scheme fit". 

What I'm wondering about is whether being *different* works *against* a guy (everybody should fit the profile); or whether maybe in a package/match-up league, whether being different might actually be just fine? 

The Pettine prototype seems to be the big, physical, lineman-like run-stoppers.  Fackrell is obviously different, a slender guy who functions more like an ILB/safety than like a DL.  But in a package league, I wonder if that might not be OK?  Pettine might not want his OLB in coverage as much as Capers did....  but might not there be some packages, some 3rd-down situations, some opponents, where even Pettine might like to have a coverage-oriented OLB?  To package-replace the set-the-edge OLB's? 

Obviously that depends on the price.  You don't want to be paying a package player at an every-snap price.   

On offense, the guy where I ask this exact same question is Trevor Davis.  The prototype WR they seem to be collecting are the long, strong ≥6'2" receivers.  If they ALL need to fit the profile, Davis seeing value as a WR doesn't fit.  But as a package guy, might there not be some plays and packages and opponents where having the quicker, shiftier Davis might be a helpful change-of-shape? 

Using MLF's basketball analogy, might having one point guard among the bunch of tall forwards make some sense, both for Davis at WR and Fackrell at OLB? 

I'd love to be a media guy and be able to ask MLF and Gute their thoughts on those questions.   

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 07:28:56 AM »
I think that the release of Daniels should tell you all you need to know about Fackrell's future in GB. When the Packers cut a former Pro Bowler and team leader because of scheme fit the likelihood of re-signing Fackrell is close to zero percent.

The disappointing thing to me is not building a team of the best possible 53 players. Are the Packers a better team today than they were yesterday and that answer is a clear no they are not.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2019, 08:35:42 AM »
I think that the release of Daniels should tell you all you need to know about Fackrell's future in GB. When the Packers cut a former Pro Bowler and team leader because of scheme fit the likelihood of re-signing Fackrell is close to zero percent.

The disappointing thing to me is not building a team of the best possible 53 players. Are the Packers a better team today than they were yesterday and that answer is a clear no they are not.

We are not privy to all the facts and factors of Daniels' release. Has his injury lingered longer than expected? Is the team confident that younger, cheaper players (Adams, etc.) are now ready to take a bigger, perhaps rotational role in the defense? As far as Daniels past accomplishments, that's what they are- the past. Making the Pro Bowl is nice, but it's not as if players are eager to play an exhibition game with the risk of injury associated with the game. Especially since how well they play in the Pro Bowl will have no impact on their job security. Now, the leadership issue is a concern. So, it may be time for guys like Martinez and Clark to step into that role.

As far as Fackrell is concerned, he had one good season. If he repeats his numbers from last year during this season, then he has made a good case for a new contract. The question being, was it a fluke, or was it a matter of "the light coming on"? That is something the team will have to decide. And hopefully, they'll make a better decision than the one made with Nick Perry.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 09:02:24 AM »
With a few exceptions (Woodson) the Packers decisons to cut players early has been pretty good.     Most dont do a lot with their new team.  Does not include FA they let go or trades, but their veteran cuts have been pretty accurate.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 09:04:36 AM by The GM »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2019, 10:23:15 AM »
With a few exceptions (Woodson) the Packers decisons to cut players early has been pretty good.     Most dont do a lot with their new team.  Does not include FA they let go or trades, but their veteran cuts have been pretty accurate.

This definitely seems to be the model in NE.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2019, 11:01:50 AM »
NE has also been relatively prolific in picking up older veterans, and using them as role players.  Those pickups have usually tended to be thrift signings, though, not full-price guys. 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2019, 11:31:53 AM »
..Are the Packers a better team today than they were yesterday and that answer is a clear no they are not.

A team is always balancing short-term Nowacrat versus long-term Buildican factors.  Gute alluded to long term considerations, and adding flexibility for next year.   

The move freed $8.3; presumably none of that will buy talent for this year.  It's not about yesterday and today, it's about tomorrow. 

If long-term wasn't considered, we'd be trading future 1st-round draft picks to add talent today.   

I can't judge whether Daniels this season would have provided more value, and more VORP, than the $8.3 will provide in future seasons.  That was Gute's job to evaluate exactly that.  He maybe evaluated wrongly, that's perhaps a safe default assumption!  But it's hypothetically justifiable, on a case-by-case basis, to sacrifice something short-term for a long-term gain.   

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2019, 12:53:07 PM »
..Are the Packers a better team today than they were yesterday and that answer is a clear no they are not.

A team is always balancing short-term Nowacrat versus long-term Buildican factors.  Gute alluded to long term considerations, and adding flexibility for next year.   

The move freed $8.3; presumably none of that will buy talent for this year.  It's not about yesterday and today, it's about tomorrow. 

If long-term wasn't considered, we'd be trading future 1st-round draft picks to add talent today.   

I can't judge whether Daniels this season would have provided more value, and more VORP, than the $8.3 will provide in future seasons.  That was Gute's job to evaluate exactly that.  He maybe evaluated wrongly, that's perhaps a safe default assumption!  But it's hypothetically justifiable, on a case-by-case basis, to sacrifice something short-term for a long-term gain.   

Its part of the changes that required in the NFL.  HHCD, Matthews, Perry, Daniels all gone from last year.  Thats a lot of talent and big contracts gone.  There seems to be more optimism this year with the new additions.