August 20, 2019, 02:27:46 PM

Author Topic: Daniels getting released.  (Read 1386 times)

Offline lozmel

• Rookie
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
Daniels getting released.
« on: July 24, 2019, 07:41:16 AM »
Hard to believe we couldn't get a draft pick for him.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
Re: Daniels getting released.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 08:47:46 AM »
He will be in New England in no time haha.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 09:36:52 AM »
Very surprising. Yesterday, there was a post detailing the cost savings the Packers could have. But how do you replace the leadership? This was in reaction to the extension for Lowry. Still, surprising. Best of luck to Daniels, who wants to join a team with SB aspirations. So, definitely NE could be in the mix. Here's a link- tried for a trade and got no acceptable offers. Savings of $8.3 million. Now we'll also find out if Clark was so successful because he had Daniels next to him.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/packers-shockingly-release-top-defensive-veteran-on-training-camp-eve-save-millions-in-cap-space/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 11:10:38 AM »
Sorry to see him go, lots of great memories.  He was a great case-study in D+D working.  High-effort guy, fun to like. 

Matthew, Perry, and Daniels have been key guys in the front for a bunch of years now; and all three have missed a lot of games with injury.  It's the National INjury League, of course, so whoever plays will get injured, I guess.  But it could change a lot if we could somehow have a reduction in injuries defensively along the line. 

Man, so many changes. 

With Lowry locked in long-term, and Daniels gone, I think that means a huge window-of-opportunity is there for Lancaster and Adams.  You better claim it while it's there, Lancaster and Adams!

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 12:12:38 PM »
It is surprising given the lack of pending 2020 free agents Green Bay will have. Only two names on that list are Daniels and Martinez, which I guess this move could be interpreted as Martinez>Daniels where he will likely get a similar salary. 

Freeing up the room is nice but, I don't see it doing much for them this year or next.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 01:16:53 PM »
Daniels didn't fit the DL physical size profile for a Pettine defense.

He was short (6-0) by most DL standards, unless your name is Aaron Donald (6-1).

Look at the other DL (likely to be kept) on the Packers roster.
Clark; 6-3
Lowry; 6-6
M-Adams; 6-4
Lancaster; 6-3
Keke; 6-3
F-Brown; 6-4

Then the Edge guys who will likely take snaps on the interior as well.
Z-Smith; 6-4
Gary: 6-5
P-Smith; 6-5

Offline bmaafi

• Second String
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 01:21:19 PM »
You know the Vikings, Bears and Lions will probably all show interest in him as well.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 01:47:29 PM »
The Queens would only want him if he could play CB.

Offline mtsportsfan

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 05:32:22 PM »
Okay , with the cut there be cap savings. My question is
For what , are going to use that money someplace else
Or hold on to it. Can't believe we couldn't get something for him.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 06:09:21 PM »
This is a surprise.

The guy was both versatile and a gamer all the way.  He was one of those players who defied the odds and made up for his lack of size with quickness, determination, versatility, technique and stamina.

Is Lowry taking his place?

He will not be unemployed for long.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 06:14:23 PM »
It is surprising given the lack of pending 2020 free agents Green Bay will have. Only two names on that list are Daniels and Martinez, which I guess this move could be interpreted as Martinez>Daniels where he will likely get a similar salary. 

Freeing up the room is nice but, I don't see it doing much for them this year or next.

This is a the new Gutey era - it's no longer just about our pending 2020 free agents - it's about all NFL pending free agents.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 06:33:52 PM »
For those who are amazed that no other team wanted to give anything up to get Daniels, that alone should be a strong indication as to why the Packers cut him. Add in the injury that plagued him all last year, his high salary, and who wants to trade for someone else's damaged goods? Especially since other teams were sure they could pick him up for a greatly reduced salary off of waivers. Which brings up a related point. This is the reality of the NFL: the only money that counts in a contract is guaranteed money. Everything else is hot air. That's why the guaranteed money for Lowry, and how the contract is structured is so crucial to him, and the team. So, a team game is based on adversarial interactions between team and player.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 06:54:40 PM »
Football players (professional team athletes in general) are nothing more than mercenaries.

They hire themselves out to the highest bidder for a specified period of time.

Don’t feel sorry for them.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 09:05:46 PM »
Couple of my thoughts (probably already expressed by others).
1.  That he won't be unemployed is one thing, I agree.
2.  But I strong suggest that he won't be employed at the salary the Packers were committed to paying him.
3.  As always, $$$ is a factor.  For example, had he been willing to restructure to $5M instead of $8.5, the Packers might likely have retained him. 
4.  I am not at all surprised the Packers weren't able to trade him for draft pick.  A trading team would have needed to absorb his contract had they done so.  I suspect that other teams, like the packers, thought his contract was too high.  So like the Packers, they didn't want to pay it, plus give up draft pick for the privilege. 
5.  But sure, of course he'll be able to sign for less. 
6.  I tend to trust the Packers cap-management analysis.  They weren't close to zero for this season, and they would have already had at least a little bit to work with next offseason.  But the cap hits on all the free agents is going to jump a ton next year.  Discretionary $$ was going to be tight.  Freeing up an extra $8.5 for next year, we might not care now but we might care a whole lot then. 
7.  I don't expect they'll spend much if any of that on external FA's before or during this season.  I expect the $8.5 saved will mostly be reallocated on extensions of guys who will be here anyway for this year, or on future deals to keep internal guys or to acquire external guys.  But yeah, that will be for future years, not for this one. 
8.  It's a cap league.  Overpaying relative to value is not a good policy.  I'm no scout, of course, so I can't be sure whether the Packers were shrewd or stupid to think that his cap hit was an overpay relative to the value he was going to provide this year.  I'm pretty trusting in their cap management.  Their talent evaluation, not as much; but I hope they're on target
9.  $$ spend and value always factors in value relative to replacement.  Pettine and Gutey might be nuts if they think Lowry and Lancaster and Adams can replace Daniels or come even close to doing so.   But I'm kind of hoping this is reflects that Gute/Pettine think the replacements are rising fast, thus narrowing/erasing the gap between them and Daniels; and I'm hoping that if they are thinking that, that they are correct!

This opens a huge window of opportunity for Adams and Lancaster.  I hope they seize the chance and vindicate Gute and Pettine. 

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 11:16:08 PM »
IMO, Pettine and Gute are banking on the FA's and Gary to make up for Daniels.

I don't think Lowry can do it. Or Lancaster or Adams.