August 20, 2019, 01:11:04 PM

Author Topic: Daniels getting released.  (Read 1382 times)

Offline craig

• HOF Member
Re: Daniels getting released.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2019, 05:31:59 AM »
(copied from an earlier listing)
"Key free agents include Daniels, Bulaga, Williams, Crosby, Allison, Spriggs, Fackrell, Lowry, Martinez..." 

Daniels gone, Lowry signed.   

That leaves: 
1.  Martinez (high priority)
2.  Allison, Fackrell.  (Youngish players.  Are they ascending solid players who management wants to keep, if prices are fair?)
3.  Bulaga, Spriggs.  (RT.  May want to extend one?  Is Spriggs good enough?  Bulaga too good?)
4.  Crosby (goodbye for sure.) 

Certainly the team has protected enough cap space to extend Martinez, given.

D+D world, *IF* Allison and Fackrell play through this season and look like variably good, solid NFL pro's at this point, the team may be interested in having the cap space to sign them at good-value deals.  Or not, they may feel they've got other guys and don't need them, even if they've got quality years in the league ahead.

The board writes off Bulaga, but OT's sometimes age better than other positions.  And his VORP may be much larger than in case of Daniels, Allison, or Fackrell? 

If Bulaga is too good to pay to a good-value market deal, and Spriggs isnt' good enough, they may still need to sink a hunk of cap space into an external RT. 

Bottom line:  In cap league, freeing cap is always worthwhile, you'll have opportunity to put it to good use...  not this year but next.  It's not like they'll have nothing to spend it on. 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2019, 05:58:25 AM »
To belabor,
1.  you don't want to be unnecessarily spending inordinately on limited VORP.
2.  You don't want to be unnecessarily paying sub-value contracts.  (Avoiding bad contracts is pretty important....)
3.  You'd like to have space so that if you have solid-value players available at good-value contract, that you have cap space to do so. 
4.  In a package/matchup/rotation league, there can be value in paying good-value contracts to package/matchup/rotation players, even if they aren't every-down assets. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 10:36:36 AM »
That didn't take long: Daniels visited Cleveland, and is off to another destination that is being kept on double secret probation. Probably NE. Hope the best for him, and if he can get a ring elsewhere, that would be fine with me.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/25/in-cleveland-for-now-mike-daniels-will-head-elsewhere-tonight/

Why no trade? Gutekunst kind of answers the question. Vague, elusive and not really an answer. But he did sorta address the issue.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/25/mike-daniels-was-released-after-trade-conversations-came-apart/

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2019, 11:03:12 AM »
That didn't take long: Daniels visited Cleveland, and is off to another destination that is being kept on double secret probation. Probably NE. Hope the best for him, and if he can get a ring elsewhere, that would be fine with me.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/25/in-cleveland-for-now-mike-daniels-will-head-elsewhere-tonight/

Why no trade? Gutekunst kind of answers the question. Vague, elusive and not really an answer. But he did sorta address the issue.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/25/mike-daniels-was-released-after-trade-conversations-came-apart/

If he wants a shot at a ring and play for peanuts NE might work.  NE wont pay him squat.  It will be interesting to see where he goes.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 12:59:45 PM »
It is surprising given the lack of pending 2020 free agents Green Bay will have. Only two names on that list are Daniels and Martinez, which I guess this move could be interpreted as Martinez>Daniels where he will likely get a similar salary. 

Freeing up the room is nice but, I don't see it doing much for them this year or next.

This is a the new Gutey era - it's no longer just about our pending 2020 free agents - it's about all NFL pending free agents.

Except there's not anyone outside of the Packers own who will be on the market. Von Miller+Clowney (both are unlikely to be available) and that is literally it. Signing either of them makes zero sense with the Smiths just being signed. Maybe a CB like Ronald Darby? Very unlikely Gutey makes a splash like he did this year or even dips his foot in. In fact, I'd bet my left nut there's zero chance he does and bet my favorite beer he signs anyone of significance beyond his own roster.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 01:01:20 PM by claymaker »

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2019, 02:28:43 PM »
It is surprising given the lack of pending 2020 free agents Green Bay will have. Only two names on that list are Daniels and Martinez, which I guess this move could be interpreted as Martinez>Daniels where he will likely get a similar salary. 

Freeing up the room is nice but, I don't see it doing much for them this year or next.

This is a the new Gutey era - it's no longer just about our pending 2020 free agents - it's about all NFL pending free agents.

Except there's not anyone outside of the Packers own who will be on the market. Von Miller+Clowney (both are unlikely to be available) and that is literally it. Signing either of them makes zero sense with the Smiths just being signed. Maybe a CB like Ronald Darby? Very unlikely Gutey makes a splash like he did this year or even dips his foot in. In fact, I'd bet my left nut there's zero chance he does and bet my favorite beer he signs anyone of significance beyond his own roster.

I think he'll explore FA next year, not to the extent of this past year, but if a player is there he wants, and its worth dumping some players, I dont think he'd hesitate.  I think the country club days are over and its move up or move out.  JMO.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2019, 03:27:27 PM »
Clay's reference was to "anyone of significance", and referenced Von Miller and Clowney. 

Packers aren't going to involved with players of that caliber, and if lesser guys don't classify as significant, then the Packer's won't sign significance. 

I've got a lower bar, I think, and view guys like Billy Turner and Lowry as being significant... to the Packers.  Turner isn't a franchise player like Miller, but any guys who are starting like Turner or play most of the snaps like Lowry, I think they are significant. 

Lowry, Bulaga, Martinez, Fackrell, and Allison, none of those guys are stars, but each might start or play a lot for the 2020 Packers. 

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2019, 03:55:04 PM »
Clay's reference was to "anyone of significance", and referenced Von Miller and Clowney. 

Packers aren't going to involved with players of that caliber, and if lesser guys don't classify as significant, then the Packer's won't sign significance. 

I've got a lower bar, I think, and view guys like Billy Turner and Lowry as being significant... to the Packers.  Turner isn't a franchise player like Miller, but any guys who are starting like Turner or play most of the snaps like Lowry, I think they are significant. 

Lowry, Bulaga, Martinez, Fackrell, and Allison, none of those guys are stars, but each might start or play a lot for the 2020 Packers.

Agree with that, no big time FAs, maybe a low or mid level bargain. Cant afford the big fish.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2019, 03:56:31 PM »
Let’s be straight on Fackrell.

He’s a situational pass rusher who was pressed into playing more than normal last year due to injuries.

I highly doubt he duplicates his 2018 season, but if he does, he has priced himself out of GB because Edge guys that can get sacks, “get paid”.......Big time!

Fackrell is not a “starter type” Edge player in a Pettine defense because he cannot both, set the Edge, as well as pass rush.

I would not put him in the same conversation as Martinez or Bulaga.

Not sure Allison is a “significant” player as well. He’s a “nice” player, but has not had a breakout season yet to separate himself from other JAG’s.

He was,potentially, on his way last year before injury shelved him, but that is merely speculation by fans/media. He hast proved diddly-squat yet, IMO.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2019, 04:17:49 PM »
Let’s be straight on Fackrell.

He’s a situational pass rusher who was pressed into playing more than normal last year due to injuries.

I highly doubt he duplicates his 2018 season, but if he does, he has priced himself out of GB because Edge guys that can get sacks, “get paid”.......Big time!

Fackrell is not a “starter type” Edge player in a Pettine defense because he cannot both, set the Edge, as well as pass rush.

I would not put him in the same conversation as Martinez or Bulaga.

Not sure Allison is a “significant” player as well. He’s a “nice” player, but has not had a breakout season yet to separate himself from other JAG’s.

He was,potentially, on his way last year before injury shelved him, but that is merely speculation by fans/media. He hast proved diddly-squat yet, IMO.

Plus Fackrell will be 28 in Nov.  He came late to the NFL.  In comparison age wise, Randall Cobb is 28

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2019, 09:31:10 PM »
I'm making a different point.  Not that we surely want to sign Allison, Fackrell, Martinez, and Bulaga.  But that we might.  Not that all are every-down starters, but Allison may have usage, and Fackrell might have a niche role that you'd like to keep them for. 

We don't know, yet.  But between those four players, they certainly would like to resign Martinez, and they may have interest in any or all of the other three.  Having some cap space so that you can sign variably-useful guys to good-value contracts is good. 

Teams use situational players.  Not to distract from the concept, but Crosby will get $3.6 with a $4.8 cap hit.  Situational guy.  (Granted, I think it's a bad-value contract, but I digress....)

Fackrell is a situational pass rusher and coverage OLB.  Of course he's not complete and won't get used or paid like a Smith; but as the only coverage guy, they may prefer to retain him, as a situational guy, for the situations he fits better than Gary and the Smiths.  For a situational-guy price.  Beats me; a $3-million situational guy?  $5-million situational role?  If a situational-guys get 7 sacks and breaks up three 3rd-down passes; might $3-5 a year be good value? 

Allison, who knows?  Might get passed by MVS, ESB, Moore, Kumerow, and Davis too.  Or, he might emerge as an effective 3rd-receiver and primary slot guy.  Beats me?  Maybe he'll catch 8 TD/800 yards; maybe 5/450; maybe 0/0?  I don't know.  But it's **possible** that he'll be a useful guy this year, and will project to remain useful guy in 2020, if the price is right.  Again, $3?  $5?  Again, he might be a "situational" or "package" guy.  Perhaps MLF goes 45% Allison as WR3; 20% extra TE; 15% FB; 5% Davis as WR3; 15% ESB as WR3?  Beats me, but there's a hypothetical possibility that he'll have a useful role, and will be signable for an appropriate-for-role price?  (Randall Cobb signed a $5M; might not Allision hypothetically demonstrate value in that strata and be solid value at $12/3?) 

It might be nice for Gute to have some flexible cash for such signings, I think, or other signings.  Not Von Miller salaries, but guys who have a role for the Packers.   

Same for OT.  Maybe Spriggs looks great but wants to sign cheap.  Maybe Light looks like the answer and future starter, on rookie contract, and you clear cap space by walking both Bulaga and Spriggs.  Or maybe both look lousy, and Turner doesn't really look like a tackle either, but Bulaga puts together a healthy year, looks irreplaceable, and would like to stay even at a very club-fair price? 

If you've got some cap flexibility, you might be pretty glad you did. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2019, 03:53:28 AM »
The word used was “significant”.

And the only one of Martinez, Bulaga, Spriggs, Allison, and Fackrell who is significant (especially for the Packers future) is Martinez, and they should be trying to extend him immediately with the extra cap space they cleared with Daniels release.

The others are wait-and-see decisions that don’t need to be made until after the season.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2019, 06:54:41 AM »
Both of you are correct.  Martinez  should be extended soon.  The others can be watched and see how they do this season. I could see a mid/late season signing *IF* one of these guys is progressing well and at a bargain deal.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 07:03:23 AM by The GM »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2019, 01:32:07 PM »
Daniels signing with the Lions.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2019, 01:52:23 PM »
Lions needed help.

Flowers is on PUP I believe and “Snacks” is on non-football injury list.

I wonder what kind of pay cut he took?