September 14, 2019, 11:42:03 PM

Author Topic: Training Camp  (Read 5175 times)

Online craig

• HOF Member
Re: Training Camp
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2019, 10:44:57 AM »
from Warren Sharp
Matt LaFleur on early downs:
50% - 11 Personnel    [44% Pass, 56% Run]
25% - 12 Personnel    [48% Pass, 52% Run]
25% - 21 Personnel    [35% Pass, 65% Run]

Last yr, GB used 11 pers on 72% early downs (68% pass)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2019, 12:18:18 PM »
He's not being mentioned here, but Brady Sheldon (LB) played a good game on Thursday. Maybe they take a longer look at him, along with Summers, before they go outside the organization  to get another ILB.

The only way any other WR gets a spot on the 53, due to ESB's ankle injury, would be for ESB to go on IR. That means ESB misses more that the first few games. At this point, the earliest ESB might expect to be ready to return to action would be around Oct. 1st, but high ankle sprains are not something that heals fast. I'm guessing that he's a 50/50 candidate for IR, at best.

Taylor should hold down the LG spot, and the reason why is Bulaga. Bulaga is the biggest health risk on the OL. If Jenkins starts at LG and Bulaga goes down, then they have to move 3 players around (Turner to RT, Jenkins to RG, and Taylor to LG).
If Taylor is the starter at LG they only move Turner to RT and insert Jenkins at RG.

I haven't heard anyone, anywhere, mention moving on from Corey Linsely next year until you just mentioned it. Have you heard that from somewhere? Or, is that just a flier that you're floating out there?

So, the Packers wouldn't go with their best option at LG because Bulaga might get hurt? Taylor and Turner are both vets, so moving around might be an inconvenience, but not a reason to not have their best guys on the field. About Linsley, I heard some talk about that a few weeks ago, from at least one of the people covering the team. But, in the greater scheme, with a lot of big contracts are coming up sooner than later. And quite simply, you can't have a team of Pro Bowl or All Pro players. It would be too expensive with the cap. So, you end up making some difficult and unpopular decisions. So, will Linsley be the next Daniels? It's not as if centers are difficult to find. The big thing he has going for him is he is smart and has never missed a game. Is this hating on him? Absolutely not. Just looking at the roster and trying to find ways to save some money to pay the impact guys.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2019, 12:44:24 PM »
So, the Packers wouldn't go with their best option at LG because Bulaga might get hurt? Taylor and Turner are both vets, so moving around might be an inconvenience, but not a reason to not have their best guys on the field. About Linsley, I heard some talk about that a few weeks ago, from at least one of the people covering the team. But, in the greater scheme, with a lot of big contracts are coming up sooner than later. And quite simply, you can't have a team of Pro Bowl or All Pro players. It would be too expensive with the cap. So, you end up making some difficult and unpopular decisions. So, will Linsley be the next Daniels? It's not as if centers are difficult to find. The big thing he has going for him is he is smart and has never missed a game. Is this hating on him? Absolutely not. Just looking at the roster and trying to find ways to save some money to pay the impact guys.

Worth noting that Mike Daniels is off the books now (approx $10m) and Jimmy Graham is almost certainly gone after the 2019 season ($12.3m). So are Matthews and Perry.  That offsets the additions of Turner, Amos and the Smiths this year. The cap cupboard isn't bare. I'd look to re-sign both Linsley and Martinez as core players. They are only 28 and 25 years old and both make significant contributions on the field. There is a very good alternative center in the wings (Jenkins), but if he looks like he will be holding down a starting guard spot, then keep Linsley. Equally there isn't much behind Martinez that looks like a no.1 ILB at this time, there are some interesting young guys, but Martinez gives the experience and reliability you need. I know the biggest contract coming will be Kenny Clark's, but I think the Packers can handle all those contracts unless Martinez waits for free agency and gets offered a huge contract elsewhere.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 12:46:06 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2019, 08:28:44 AM »
It's the latter.

And since the Packers are so bad at actually getting anything of value for their players, they'll probably end up just cutting him.

Blargh.

https://giphy.com/gifs/look-shrug-oprah-l4pTsh45Dg7jnDM6Q
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 08:29:32 AM by big ror »
"cram it up your cramhole, lafleur."

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2019, 08:14:44 PM »
Thought this site had been closed and had not checked it for years... good to see still here.

I went to training camp this year, the Tuesday when had joint practice with Texans when I was back in States and in Fox Valley.  First time seen training camp in 10 years.

Still enjoy watching the players come down to practice on bikes and then back up.  I was walking behind Mark Murphy going down to the practice field.