August 20, 2019, 01:58:40 PM

Author Topic: Back-up quarterback  (Read 412 times)

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
Back-up quarterback
« on: August 07, 2019, 10:15:50 AM »
I have seen enough of Deshon Kizer the day on that we traded for him.  His performance last year and this year confirms my thoughts even more.  I do have some insight from his Notre Dame days and their were issues there.  His head coach at that time acknowledge some of this.  I'm sure with time he has evolved beyond some of those ego issues, unfortunately it hasn't resulted in W'S.  That how players get measured the last time I checked!

So it's kind of interesting that the Texans are in town this week.  They have a pretty decent back-up in AJ McCarron.  We have a DB who wants to get traded.  Not trying to be a matchmaker here, but I would trade our disgruntled DB along with a 5th rd pick for McCarron.  Of course the Texans need to be willing to participate in this marriage.

I guess we could wait to see who gets cut in the next few weeks and see who pans out.  My concern if Rodgers goes down again, we actually have a defense capable of winning games, now!  The backup QB now becomes critical.  Rodgers goes down now and we have to defer to Kizer, you know how many games we win, even with a stellar defense.  Don't have to go far to answer that, ask the Cleveland Browns before Dorsey drafted their future QB! 2-24 to be precise.

I would keep an eye on Miami and Tannehill.  Maybe a few others out there.  Not happy where we are at backup qb.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Back-up quarterback
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 11:16:02 AM »
'I would keep an eye on Miami and Tannehill.' ?

Tannehill doesn't play for Miami.

Watson has been injury prone in his short pro career, if McCarron is all that you are toting him to be, why would the Texans trade him away? For a ham sandwich and small Coke no less.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 05:15:52 AM »
Don't have to worry about McCarron, sounds like he broke his thumb yesterday.  Still, I have zero faith in our backups. Since I deal with risk analysis routinely, I was surprised we didn't address this in the draft.  How many games has Rodgers missed in the last two years.  Did we make the playoffs? No! Did we play 500 ball? No!  Sounds like a huge need to me. Just saying.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 06:50:06 AM »
Kizer should get plenty of opportunities during these preseason games to show what he can do and if he has progressed.  Sink or swim, I think his status will become pretty clear in the coming weeks.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 08:10:09 AM »
Yes, it would be very nice to have a capable backup QB to Rodgers. There are a few problems, though. There are very few decent QB's out there. And those who might be willing to accept a backup role are not going to sign for league minimum. They're going to want a few million a year. For a guy who might be able to win a few games in case of emergency. Or maybe not. A QB like Foles, for example, is extremely rare. From backup to SB MVP? Rarer than hen's teeth with gold fillings. This has been a yearly concern for a long time. Let's just face the facts: if Rodgers is injured for an extended period, the Packers are toast. So, should the Packers spend a high draft pick on a QB prospect? In the next two years, it seems likely to happen, because Rodgers isn't going to play forever. The team got lucky/smart in drafting AR when Favre was still playing at a high level. Time to repeat the process.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 09:42:00 AM »
Does Boyle have PS eligibility?  My guess is that last year, as the new guy with shine, there was concern that he'd get snagged if we exposed him.  This time around, after not seemingly having progressed and ascended as originally hoped, I'd guess he's at much less risk of being claimed. 

Given how injury-prone Rodgers is, I could imagine Gute might prefer to keep Boyle on PS as the 3rd QB, perhaps a little more ready than Wilkins to get called up.  But it's also possible that as a long-term prospect, that perhaps Wilkins is a preferable developmental prospect? 

I've ready some camp observations that have claimed that Wilkins had a good arm; I'd thought the reports when he signed had given me the idea that he was an athlete and a runner and had the heart of a lion and all that, but that his pure arm strength wasn't very good.  But *IF* his arm strength is quality, then perhaps he's got a legit shot to develop into a solid NFL backup? 

The D+D window for guys is always so short.  You see a first year guy, see some good things and imagine "Given what he's already got, **IF** he improves he could become XYZ....".  But then if that improvement doesn't manifest pretty quickly, by year 2 or 3, it's pretty easy to turn it over and try again.  Last year Boyle was the guy; perhaps it's time to turn it over and give Wilkins a try; next July maybe turn him over too...

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 12:02:19 PM »
Time to broach the difficult question as to when Rodgers replacement will be taking over. In December, AR turns 36. In 2022, which is right around the corner, the Packers have an "out" on his contract. He'd be 39 at the end of that season. Assuming he's still playing at a high level. After his performance last year, this year is (to me) shaping up to be a "return to form" year. Will he lose some of his bad habits? Will he really accept coaching? Will he start making plays he used to do automatically, but last year repeatedly failed to make? Sure, his stats were solid. But so were Kirk Cousins. Rodgers has been a transcendent player. But no one beats Father Time. And although there is a lot of denial out there, he seems to be more injury prone, and more diva than ever before. So, when the 2022 season rolls around, I'd like to see a capable backup in place, so the Packers have the chance to deal Rodgers to a team that is only lacking a QB to finish their SB dreams. If it's a year or two too early, OK. I'd rather take some lumps for a season or two and then contend again, like the Packers did with Favre, than be like the Giants and hang onto their popular but over-the-hill QB for too long.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 01:48:34 PM »
A new QB ? 2021 or 2 or 3. Whichever year has THE GUY available. Of course, if finding that guy were easy, all teams would be doing it.

The next great one might be Clemson's Trevor Lawrence, and if he comes out it is most likely after his Junior year (2021 draft). Trouble is, he is likely to be such a sought after guy, that the Packers would need to make some tough decisions (and be lucky) to position themselves where they had a chance at him.

Maybe a better idea than seeking the best QB is to have a team around the QB strong enough that a merely solid QB can win.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 01:52:17 PM »
I don't believe the Packers will make any moves for a different backup QB, but if they did Colt McCoy is probably one of the few that would make any since in a trade. He has been schooled for years in the same offense and has proven he can win games as a backup. The Redskins drafted a QB in the 1st round, traded for Case Keenum and may have Alex Smith back at some point in the regular season.   

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 07:22:56 PM »
A new QB ? 2021 or 2 or 3. Whichever year has THE GUY available. Of course, if finding that guy were easy, all teams would be doing it.

The next great one might be Clemson's Trevor Lawrence, and if he comes out it is most likely after his Junior year (2021 draft). Trouble is, he is likely to be such a sought after guy, that the Packers would need to make some tough decisions (and be lucky) to position themselves where they had a chance at him.

Maybe a better idea than seeking the best QB is to have a team around the QB strong enough that a merely solid QB can win.

I'd rather they pick a guy a few years early and work with him, see if he has the "it factor", can lead a team and be an effective QB. That would mean next year. Would Rodgers be offended? Probably. Or, he might remember what it was like when he took over for Favre, be as helpful as possible, and use the draft pick as motivation to prove how invaluable he is. Also, remember that Romo was a UDFA; Wilson was drafted in the third round, and Prescott in the fourth. The draft position is much less important than the ability of the player to be a winner on the field.