August 20, 2019, 01:21:59 PM

Author Topic: Is Oren Burks done for season?  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: Oren Burks done for season
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 07:13:57 AM »
Saw a comment from the doctor/spokesman on Burks injury. The feeling was it would be week to week or month to month verses day to day. Can't imagine him returning until the later part of the season.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 07:53:37 AM »
Craig,

Thanks for that. I kind of liked Burks.  Nice complement to Martinez.

These guys have Summers and Bolton in the Pro Bowl already.

I went back and read each posting twice thinking I must be missing it, but who are 'these guys' that have Summers and Bolton in the Pro Bowl already? No one has even stated that either would be a quality starter no less a Pro Bowl player. Were you possibly in an altered state of mind when posting this? Just trying to make sense of how you come to that conclusion. Help us out here.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 07:57:38 AM »
Saw a comment from the doctor/spokesman on Burks injury. The feeling was it would be week to week or month to month verses day to day. Can't imagine him returning until the later part of the season.

Saw that also Hands. Dr. David Chao is a great source for us fans on injuries, love what he does. I post his actual tweet here.

David J. Chao

Verified account

@ProFootballDoc
Follow
Follow @ProFootballDoc

Great news!
In thought surgery too.
Must be muscle or partial tendon.
"Day-to-day" is very optimistic.
More week-to-week, even month-to-month.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 09:28:27 AM »
....I went back and read each posting twice thinking I must be missing it, but who are 'these guys' that have Summers and Bolton in the Pro Bowl already? No one has even stated that either would be a quality starter no less a Pro Bowl player. Were you possibly in an altered state of mind when posting this? Just trying to make sense of how you come to that conclusion. Help us out here.

I'm not Gregg, and hyperbole is a thing.  But my response was to the sense that a feeling was "O, Burks wasn't a factor last year anyway; Summers and Bolton have some good qualities; Burks has proven nothing; we might be just as good or maybe better with them anyway; if we lose Burks for the season, probably nothing to worry about, no big deal." 

My feeling is that *if* he misses most or all of the season, that it's really disappointing to me.  That I thought he had a chance to be very good and very impactful this season.  Yes, it's possible that he'll be no good even if healthy; and yes it's possible that Bolton will a great find and turn out to be as good or no worse than Burks.  But the chances that Burks could 2nd-year-jump into being a very solid core player, including this year, are real.  And if he's gone, I'm really disappointed about it. 

Hopefully Bolton will step right in and they won't miss a beat.  But to expect a rookie to understand every nuance of the defense is unrealistic. 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
Re: Is Oren Burks done for season?
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 09:36:24 AM »
I am super-thrilled that Burks' injury may not be as serious, and that he may not be gone long-term this season.  Thanks for Dr. Chao's comments, he's smart and knowledgable. 

I think Burks was obviously misleading in "day to day", as if he might be in pads practicing any day this week, or in pads tackling exhibition 3.  I think his "day to day" is more about assessing and evaluating the severity of the injury, and for the doctor to get a clearer understanding of where things stand.  Rather than being able to fully-participate within a few days. 

Chao says "week-to-week, even month-to-month" seems pretty optimistic to me, happy; the phrasing suggests it may literally be within weeks rather than months; that it may well be months plural, but not obviously so.  If he went on IR with 8-week recall, that would be 11 weeks, about 3 months.  That might be reasonable, allow full healing, and have a guy still full go for half a season plus playoffs?  And if it might be "week-to-week", perhaps he won't even need to go 8-week IR and might be ready by the start of October.  (7 weeks away?)

I'm really happy about yesterday's favorable news. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2019, 11:22:51 AM »
I'm not Gregg, and hyperbole is a thing.  But my response was to the sense that a feeling was "O, Burks wasn't a factor last year anyway; Summers and Bolton have some good qualities; Burks has proven nothing; we might be just as good or maybe better with them anyway; if we lose Burks for the season, probably nothing to worry about, no big deal." 

My feeling is that *if* he misses most or all of the season, that it's really disappointing to me.  That I thought he had a chance to be very good and very impactful this season.  Yes, it's possible that he'll be no good even if healthy; and yes it's possible that Bolton will a great find and turn out to be as good or no worse than Burks.  But the chances that Burks could 2nd-year-jump into being a very solid core player, including this year, are real.  And if he's gone, I'm really disappointed about it. 

Hopefully Bolton will step right in and they won't miss a beat.  But to expect a rookie to understand every nuance of the defense is unrealistic.

No one is happy that Burks got hurt. But the injury did happen. So we're doing our best to deal with the reality that he may be gone for an extended period. That means we evaluate the replacements, and try to find the silver lining. No one is disrespecting Burks; what we are doing is bowing to the facts: football is a game of attrition. That the injury occurred this early means the team will have more time to adjust, and hopefully get someone else more "up to speed". And lets remember, Burks is not a six or seven year vet; this would have been his second season, one we were all hoping he'd take that proverbial "next step", if not a "leap" in performance on the field. Now, someone else will have a chance to show what they can do in real games.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
Re: Is Oren Burks done for season?
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2019, 05:54:34 PM »
Burks tore his pectoral muscle. Will be done for 2019.

Dewey Beats Truman!

8)