August 20, 2019, 01:54:34 PM

Author Topic: Preseason 2019 Game 1  (Read 903 times)

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
Preseason 2019 Game 1
« on: August 09, 2019, 08:49:32 AM »
Finally get to see them play again, so happy about that.

Onto what I saw from the game, I liked what the offense was able to do. Kizer looked okay vs their defense and made some nice plays and throws. For better or worse he's not the worst backup you could hope for. Boyle also did some nice things, so I wonder how confident they are in him replacing Kizer. It'll be interesting to see how the WR competition turns out, I think Kumerow is probably in the lead for the 2/3 spot. J'mon Moore doesn't appear to have improved his catching ability, so I don't put much confidence in his future as of now. Dexter Williams looked okay at RB. Production wasn't great but I don't think he didn't produced any negative plays.

The defense looked pretty good TBH. Raven Greene had a good night with a forced fumble and nice tackles, which were a sore spot all night. Rashan Gary had some nice rushes and created pressure against their OLine. Montravius Adams was disruptive and drew the attention of their OLine when he was on the field. The DBs had some nice moments and ended the night with 2 picks off Joe Webb, Hollman and Greene stood out. Aside from the tackling, which was not very good, and an early miscommunication I didn't see much I didn't like from the 2s. Ty Summers was forced into a lot of action with Oren Burks getting his bell rung and looked okay but I think communication is probably his biggest obstacle right now, I suspect he will make the 53.

Overall, a solid outing by the "depth chart" of Green Bay as none of the starters played on either side. Some of starters played for Houston, so it was good to see guys like Gary and Kumerow go against their 1s and show they belong.     

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Preseason 2019 Game 1
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 09:52:42 AM »
NFLN has a replay of the game tomorrow (Saturday) at 4 P.M. (CST).
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 10:36:47 AM »
Also, J.K Scott looks like he got a lot of good work in the offseason and it showed on his punts. Lots of hangtime and lots of distance. He also had a really nice knuckle punt that forced the first score of the game. Packers must feel good about drafting him. I'll also amend my description of Dexter Williams, he looked good and produced well. It didn't look like he was getting much on his runs, but looking at the stats he averaged 4.5 yards per carry and made a nice screen catch and run.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 12:43:04 PM »
Thanks much for game report, clay.  I didn't see the game, so helpful to read your observations. 

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 12:49:12 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how the WR competition turns out, I think Kumerow is probably in the lead for the 2/3 spot. J'mon Moore doesn't appear to have improved his catching ability, so I don't put much confidence in his future as of now. 

I'd have to disagree with this. Number one is obviously D.Adams. I'd say the no.2 is MVS. No.3 is Allison. I put them in that order as I think Allison plays the slot while MVS plays outside. Kumerow's competition is ESB, Davis, Moore, Shepherd, Lazard.

I'd put ESB and Davis (if he comes back healthy fairly quickly), above Kumerow. Why ? Because both are faster than Kumerow. All three have been making good catches, many times in practice. ESB is as big and is much more athletic (and five years younger). Davis has track speed. He has really come on this year as a receiver and already has good value as a returner (exactly what you want from receivers deeper in the rotation). Age is irrelevant between Davis and Kumerow (only one year  apart).

I'd put Kumerow above Moore (who has not impressed as much as several other receivers). Shepherd has been catching well, making splash plays, and has return ability, but I think Kumerow's size and ability trumps Shepherd. Lazard is almost 6'5", has similar speed (and is 23 years old). I'm guessing that Kumerow is still more valuable than the younger Lazard.

To my way of thinking the depth (best to worst) is something like D.Adams, MVS, Allison, ESB, Davis, Kumerow, Shepherd, Moore, Lazard. The puts Kumerow at No.6 in my estimation, on the cusp of making the cut.

I know Kumerow (or Jesus, if you prefer) is a very popular guy and It's obvious Rodgers likes him, but the Packers have real talent at WR and it makes for some very tough decisions at cut down time. If I had to predict whether Kumerow makes the cut, I'd say yes he does, but not as the no.2 or 3 option.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 01:06:29 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 01:05:40 PM »
I think Shepherd is a PS candidate.  Hope he makes it; he's a North Dakota State guy.  I used to work there, so would love to have him make it.  Lots of friends who are huge fans of NDSU and think highly of Shepherd.  PS is built for a guy like that. 

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 01:09:38 PM »
I think Shepherd is a PS candidate.  Hope he makes it; he's a North Dakota State guy.  I used to work there, so would love to have him make it.  Lots of friends who are huge fans of NDSU and think highly of Shepherd.  PS is built for a guy like that.

Definitely agree with craig that Shepherd is very likely PS material. The real question is that there should be good WRs on the PS (Shepherd, Lazard, Moore), so who would get claimed if put there. As a smaller guy, I think Shepherd could well stick there and be an option if the Packers get a cluster of injuries at WR.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 03:23:08 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how the WR competition turns out, I think Kumerow is probably in the lead for the 2/3 spot. J'mon Moore doesn't appear to have improved his catching ability, so I don't put much confidence in his future as of now. 

I'd have to disagree with this. Number one is obviously D.Adams. I'd say the no.2 is MVS. No.3 is Allison. I put them in that order as I think Allison plays the slot while MVS plays outside. Kumerow's competition is ESB, Davis, Moore, Shepherd, Lazard.

I'd put ESB and Davis (if he comes back healthy fairly quickly), above Kumerow. Why ? Because both are faster than Kumerow. All three have been making good catches, many times in practice. ESB is as big and is much more athletic (and five years younger). Davis has track speed. He has really come on this year as a receiver and already has good value as a returner (exactly what you want from receivers deeper in the rotation). Age is irrelevant between Davis and Kumerow (only one year  apart).

I'd put Kumerow above Moore (who has not impressed as much as several other receivers). Shepherd has been catching well, making splash plays, and has return ability, but I think Kumerow's size and ability trumps Shepherd. Lazard is almost 6'5", has similar speed (and is 23 years old). I'm guessing that Kumerow is still more valuable than the younger Lazard.

To my way of thinking the depth (best to worst) is something like D.Adams, MVS, Allison, ESB, Davis, Kumerow, Shepherd, Moore, Lazard. The puts Kumerow at No.6 in my estimation, on the cusp of making the cut.

I know Kumerow (or Jesus, if you prefer) is a very popular guy and It's obvious Rodgers likes him, but the Packers have real talent at WR and it makes for some very tough decisions at cut down time. If I had to predict whether Kumerow makes the cut, I'd say yes he does, but not as the no.2 or 3 option.

Speed only kills if you can use it. Davis has yet to prove he can be relied on to stay healthy, and he's injured right now. Kumerow is definitely ahead of both St. Brown and Davis, Green Bay has said as much with their depth chart. He's listed as their number 3 ahead of Allison. It's not a fan favorite thing, he's earned it. https://www.packers.com/team/depth-chart

We can get semantical over the 2 or 3 option but he's earned himself a place in this offense and will get significant playing time this year.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:25:44 PM by claymaker »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 05:34:30 PM »
Not trying to make a stink about Trevor Davis here, but contract could end up being a factor at some point.

2019 is the final year of Davis' contract and then he's a UFA, but Shepherd is under contract through 2021.

If it's a tight decision between these two as to who better fits as Slot WR and PR, having a guy on a cheap contract for the next 3 years could come into play.

Plus, Shepherd then becomes a RFA, because he went undrafted. GB would basically control his contract for the next 4 years.

Just say'in.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 09:13:57 PM »

Speed only kills if you can use it. Davis has yet to prove he can be relied on to stay healthy, and he's injured right now. Kumerow is definitely ahead of both St. Brown and Davis, Green Bay has said as much with their depth chart. He's listed as their number 3 ahead of Allison. It's not a fan favorite thing, he's earned it. https://www.packers.com/team/depth-chart

We can get semantical over the 2 or 3 option but he's earned himself a place in this offense and will get significant playing time this year.

Agreed. Kumerow has earned his stripes by being a consistent playmaker when given the chance. He had the two toughest covered catches in the game. DB all over him and catches with his hands away from his body to secure the catch. ESB and Moore are definitely not on his level as a WR. Sheppard looked good and Lazard could become monster if he continues to improve. At this point I would be keeping Adams, MVS, Kumerow, Allison, Lazard & ESB. Sheppard if we keep 6. Davis minor contributions haven't been near enough to justify his spot. Moore may very well clear and end up on PS with his failure to perform.

Adams is the all-star, MVS & ESB are the burners, Allison is the possession guy, Kumerow is the swiss army knife, Lazard is the big body who can go up and make some contested jump balls. That wouldnt be a group to sleep on for any defensive unit.

Side note, so.many people were coming open on crossing routes and schemes it was refreshing. Putting Adam's and MVS and Graham into this offense when the season starts should be a fun thing to see.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 10:38:43 PM »

Side note, so.many people were coming open on crossing routes and schemes it was refreshing. Putting Adam's and MVS and Graham into this offense when the season starts should be a fun thing to see.

I think Graham is the key to this season, and the Packers will go as he goes.   Mediocre Graham = Mediocre season.  Good Graham = Good season, Graham goes off = Packers go off.   The Packers have lots of weapon but in general I think Graham's play is a HUGE factor in how this season will go. JMO   
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 10:40:12 PM by The GM »

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 06:52:22 AM »
Not trying to make a stink about Trevor Davis here, but contract could end up being a factor at some point.

2019 is the final year of Davis' contract and then he's a UFA, but Shepherd is under contract through 2021.

If it's a tight decision between these two as to who better fits as Slot WR and PR, having a guy on a cheap contract for the next 3 years could come into play.

Plus, Shepherd then becomes a RFA, because he went undrafted. GB would basically control his contract for the next 4 years.

Just say'in.

Excellent point. Given a choice between a higher paid player or a cheaper player who are effectively equal physically and in terms of development, it only makes sense that the lower paid player be retained. So, definitely, Davis is in a "prove it or lose it" mode this year. Stay healthy, be productive, earn a second contract.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 07:04:16 AM »

Thanks for sharing that observation.  That's very encouraging. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 07:28:55 AM »

PFF GB Packers

@PFF_Packers
Follow
Follow @PFF_Packers

More
Of the 24 defensive players to play 20+ snaps in the #Packers  win last night, UDFA Curtis Bolton was the highest graded.

Curtis Bolton (90.6)
Raven Greene (88.5)
Montravius Adams (76.2)
James Looney (75.2)
Kingsley Keke (74.8)

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 08:33:26 AM »
Summers getting a lot of ink after his first game.  May have earned himself some more TC reps.  We'll see.