September 15, 2019, 03:29:34 AM

Author Topic: Is Oren Burks done for season?  (Read 1285 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Is Oren Burks done for season?
« on: August 10, 2019, 03:12:26 PM »
Reports coming out Burks tore his pectoral muscle. More tests ordered, but if true he will need surgery and will be done for 2019.

Is he the new Nick Perry?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:48:24 AM by LMG »

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Oren Burks done for season
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 04:28:16 PM »
Reports coming out Burks tore his pectoral muscle. More tests ordered, but if true he will need surgery and will be done for 2019.

Is he the new Nick Perry?

No, Kevin King is the new Nick Perry, and Burks is the new Kevin King. If that makes sense.

Offline Premontre1969

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 05:13:53 PM »
Let’s hope that this is just a really bad luck injury and Burks will be back for a long haul. At 8 minutes into the game he’s rushing into the backfield and gets blindsided with a block in the back by Texans tackle, Tytus Howard #71, right into a charging quarterback. The force of impact on Burks twisted body would’ve taken anyone out. That should’ve been a penalty on the Texans. Really bad luck for Burks as well as the Packers team.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 07:03:21 PM »
Perry was hurt for most of three seasons, then suddenly got healthy for one year, got a big contract, then was re-injured. Burks is in his second year, has an unusual injury, and people are ready to write him off? Sounds similar to the feelings on here when Adams was hurt his second year, underperformed, and a lot of people wanted him run out of town on a rail. Or at least cut. Patience, grasshopper. Besides, it's a good thing this happened now, since it gives the team time to find a replacement. Time for the cliched "next man up." One person's bad luck is another person's opportunity.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 09:24:47 PM »
Nick Perry really gets such a bum rap from Packers fans when the reality is that he was a very good player for the Packers. He played in 81 games over his 7 seasons, that is over 11.5 games per season and when he was on the field he played a physical and violent brand of football. Football is a violent game and the more physical a player plays the more injuries that will occur.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 11:36:46 PM »
This hurts since we do not have a lot of proven depth at ILB.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 07:27:37 AM »
This hurts since we do not have a lot of proven depth at ILB.

Burks was "proven depth"?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 07:59:09 AM »
The ILB group will be fine as long as Martinez stays healthy, they will go as he go's. The question here is, doe this injury give Josh Jones new life on this defense? Burks and Jones overlap a bunch in skillset and their rolls in Pettine's defense. Personally don't think Burks loss is that big of a deal. I've yet to see much that equals the 3rd round draft hype for Burks.   

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 12:25:00 PM »
Ricky:

As far as I know, Burks was scheduled to start.

We now have an undrafted Free Agent taking first team reps.

We also have like a sixth round rookie behind him.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 01:05:32 PM »
Ricky:

Its all about performance.  Can Bolton or Summers step up? Im not so sure they havent already.  Burks has tools, but you might see a better performance by one of those other guys.  We'll see how it plays out.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 01:20:09 PM »
Ricky:

Its all about performance.  Can Bolton or Summers step up? Im not so sure they havent already.  Burks has tools, but you might see a better performance by one of those other guys.  We'll see how it plays out.

Beat me to it. Draft position is highly overrated. Just a guy is drafted in the first round doesn't mean he's gold. Just like an UDFA could well be a diamond in the rough. Does it matter how you get a guy who can play? Not to me. A recent example from the Packers: they moved up in the draft to snag Spriggs in the second round; they waited until the fourth round to get Bakhtiari.  But back to Burks. The Packers now have three exhibition games to find a replacement, either on the roster or added to the roster.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 01:21:50 PM by ricky »

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 03:26:15 PM »

Its all about performance.  Can Bolton or Summers step up? I'm not so sure they haven't already.  Burks has tools, but you might see a better performance by one of those other guys.  We'll see how it plays out.
See the part in red. +1
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 03:31:19 PM »
I'm pretty disappointed, not nearly as "whatever, no problem, who cares" as you guys!  Burks is a smart, hard-working, long-and-fast guy; he's had a year to learn and to 2nd-year-leap; and there was a lot of positive feedback on his camp work.  He was a prime break-out-establish-himself candidate.  So I was really optimistic that he was poised to emerge as a talented legit core-guy in the defense. 

I think Summers plays the Martinez spot, not Burks. 

Bolton, UDFA rookie without a year of familiarizing and without the length and speed.  Greene is really slender for that role.  Hopefully this is a huge opportunity for Jones and he takes it.  But depending too much on an injured-guy increases the risk a lot, I think. 

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 09:33:01 PM »
Craig,

Thanks for that. I kind of liked Burks.  Nice complement to Martinez.

These guys have Summers and Bolton in the Pro Bowl already. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 09:34:26 PM by Gregg »

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 10:21:07 PM »
Burks will not need surgery on his chest injury. Looks like he will be back this year. Says he's 'day to day', though I don't think he will be back for a few weeks yet.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"