September 14, 2019, 11:15:47 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Bears Game Day Thread  (Read 2105 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v Bears Game Day Thread
« on: August 30, 2019, 12:29:49 PM »
So it begins. Against the greatest and oldest rivalry in pro football. 100 years for the league, and a matchup between the Bears and Packers since 1923 (they were the Staleys in 1921). Finally, the exhibition season is over, and the real games that really count begin. Kickoff Thursday night at 7:20 p.m. CST. So, what to expect? Both teams gave their starters very limited playing time during the "please don't anyone important get injured" exhibition games. Both teams will probably be a bit rusty, so the first half or three quarters could be more defensively dominant. What will MFL's offense look like once they stop playing vanilla? Same with Pettine's defense. For the Bears, will Trubisky show he is an NFL franchise QB, or a wannabe with a good defense to limit the amount of production he needs to create? Lots of questions. But one thing about which there is never a question: that I really, really hate the Bears. Old school, unlike the younger crowd who despise the Vikings. I'm eagerly awaiting kickoff. What about you?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Bears Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 12:46:48 PM »
Thanks Ricky for your annual help in starting the Game Day Threads.  thumbsup)
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline packlaw

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 03:00:56 PM »
Packer fan since '59 and I don't like the Bears but in order of really despise it is Dallas from the early years and when we got beat regularly by Smith and Aikman...second is the Vikes...we surpassed the Bears lead against us, have been really successful against them the last two decades and Halas did recommend the Pack higher Lombardi

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 08:35:21 PM »
Funny that Ricky should bring up if Trubisky is real or not.

In looking back at that draft, man did the Bears blow it.  They gave up three picks to move up one spot and get Trubisky.  When, in fact, they could have had Mahomes or Watson by doing nothing.

Its pretty clear both of those guys are better than Mitch.

We are really lucky the bears screwed that up.  God, Mahomes and Mack on the same team?

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 11:50:28 AM »
Packer fan since '59 and I don't like the Bears but in order of really despise it is Dallas from the early years and when we got beat regularly by Smith and Aikman...second is the Vikes...we surpassed the Bears lead against us, have been really successful against them the last two decades and Halas did recommend the Pack hire Lombardi

I can't hate on the Bears all that much, because they and the Packers have seldom been good at the same time. I don't love em, but other teams eclipse them in the dislike stakes. It's either the mid eighties Bears or the mid 90s Packers, for example.

Now I CAN get behind a good old dislike of the Vikings because they have been fiercer competitors in the last 20 years. Outside the division, I don't like the Seahawks, Cowboys, or Patriots. I'm pretty indifferent to the rest, including the Lions, they've never done enough to earn more than a mild frown (and I just loved Barry Sanders).
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 07:11:42 PM »
Apparently the rest during the exhibition season has left Kevin King ready, willing and able to start Thursday night. The question being, will the team put him out there, or go with someone who has had more practice time?

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/kevin-king-back-at-practice-plans-to-play-vs-bears-712#comment-443099

And on the Bears hatred, it was taught to me by my dad. And I've been a Packers devotee since at least 1959. The Vikes? I still have a lot of respect for "old school tough" Bud Grant. And well remember those bruising games in the old Met, before they wussed out and went for the domes.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 10:37:22 AM »
Kevin King.

I would like to see this guy make it through an entire regular season without missing one game.

Between him and Alexander that would be a real boon for us.  I like our first team secondary.  I think its the best part of our defense.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 11:07:43 AM »
I really think the Pack wins this. Not by much, but they get a good lead and the Bears come back but can't close the gap.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 07:20:47 AM »
In the Packers history their head coaches have not faired well in their first starts against the Bears. In 2006 Mike McCarthy with Brett Favre at QB kicked off his career with a 26-0 lose to the Bears. Mike Sherman in 2000 also with Brett Favre lost 27-24. In 1999 Ray Rhodes with Brett Favre lost 14-13. Mike Holmgren in 1992 lost 30-10. Lindy Infante in 1988 lost 24-6. Forrest Gregg in a blood bath in 1984 lost 9-7. Bart Starr in 1975 lost 27-14. Even Joe Philbin filling in last season with Rodgers at QB lost 24-17. Even Curly Lambeau lost his first starts against Chicago, in 1921 when the Bears were still the Staleys he lost 20-0 and in 1923 when they were named the Bears he lose 3-0. 

That is 0-8 with 1st starts against the Bears by the Packers last 8 coaches to lead them.

The hope of breaking this trend would be with the fact that 3 of the 17 men that walked the sideline before MLF did leave with a victory against the Bears. Dan Devine in 1971 won 17-14 (but that game was in November and had allowed the new coach a chance to get his feet under himself). Vince Lombardi in 1959 won 9-6 and Gene Ronzani in 1950 won 31-21.

In researching this I found an interesting fact, in the Packers history only 3 Head Coaches have been named coach of the year. Who are they?         

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 07:27:54 AM »
In the Packers history their head coaches have not faired well in their first starts against the Bears. In 2006 Mike McCarthy with Brett Favre at QB kicked off his career with a 26-0 lose to the Bears. Mike Sherman in 2000 also with Brett Favre lost 27-24. In 1999 Ray Rhodes with Brett Favre lost 14-13. Mike Holmgren in 1992 lost 30-10. Lindy Infante in 1988 lost 24-6. Forrest Gregg in a blood bath in 1984 lost 9-7. Bart Starr in 1975 lost 27-14. Even Joe Philbin filling in last season with Rodgers at QB lost 24-17. Even Curly Lambeau lost his first starts against Chicago, in 1921 when the Bears were still the Staleys he lost 20-0 and in 1923 when they were named the Bears he lose 3-0. 

That is 0-8 with 1st starts against the Bears by the Packers last 8 coaches to lead them.

The hope of breaking this trend would be with the fact that 3 of the 17 men that walked the sideline before MLF did leave with a victory against the Bears. Dan Devine in 1971 won 17-14 (but that game was in November and had allowed the new coach a chance to get his feet under himself). Vince Lombardi in 1959 won 9-6 and Gene Ronzani in 1950 won 31-21.

In researching this I found an interesting fact, in the Packers history only 3 Head Coaches have been named coach of the year. Who are they?       

RT, I looked it up and it's an interesting result. Not at all who I thought it would be.....
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 07:34:26 AM »
Packer fan since '59 and I don't like the Bears but in order of really despise it is Dallas from the early years and when we got beat regularly by Smith and Aikman...second is the Vikes...we surpassed the Bears lead against us, have been really successful against them the last two decades and Halas did recommend the Pack higher Lombardi

During the '70's and '80's I never dreamt that the Packers would surpass the Bears in head-to-head wins and now that they have I am not interested in handing it back to them. All it will take is a few wins by the Bears and this rivalry will get ugly fast again. Bears fans have 27 years of frustrations bottled up and when that blows it will not be pretty. Best to just keep the cap on that bottle. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 09:29:56 PM »
I can't believe I forgot to include this, as this is the song that always cheers me up when I'm feeling down. Really. And for those who want to argue some other team is a bigger rival/pita/more hated, link to the song about how much they suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0tssFp9CWU

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 03:45:23 AM »
I’ve always considered this the unofficial Packers fight song.

https://youtu.be/61V9COTA8_I

Rundgren was even interviewed one time regarding Packer fans adopting that song as “their song”.

http://archive.jsonline.com/Services/include.ashx?domain=www.jsonline.com&file=134214368.html
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 03:47:22 AM by dannobanano »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 05:20:25 AM »
Here’s a good one a friend sent this morning.

https://youtu.be/PUnLwM1JfKI

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 09:42:25 AM »
I really think the Pack wins this. Not by much, but they get a good lead and the Bears come back but can't close the gap.

I hope you are right.  I'm not a big fan of going into one of the toughest defenses in the NFL with a new offense and a QB who hasnt thrown a game ball this whole preseason.  Lots of pressure on Rodgers after the offseason stuff to play well.