November 22, 2019, 05:59:23 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Bears Game Day Thread  (Read 2948 times)

Offline B

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Bears Game Day Thread
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2019, 06:38:40 PM »
I get the "its only one game" caution, but I'm not buying the bears offense isn't a real test stuff. Last season:
Chicago Bears*   12   4   0   .750   outscored opponents  421 to 283
Minn. Vikings   8   7   1   .531   outscored opponents 360 to 341   
G. B. Packers   6   9   1   .406   underscored    
Detroit Lions   6   10   0   .375   underscored
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2019, 08:06:40 PM »
Agree with both Packlaw.  It was fun watching the defense.  On 3rd and 4th downs, I expected them to succeed! 

I think Bruce's point is also very well taken.  The Bears scored plenty of points last year, it's not like they had a bad offense.  They were a top-10 scoring offense in the league, and only 3 teams were more than 15 points ahead of the Bears in scoring on the year. 

I also think the negativity about Trubitsky is somewhat puzzling.  It didn't look to me like he was making many particularly bad throws or missing guys who were very open.  Several of his completions were into tight coverage and required rather difficult catches.  Granted, I can't tell if he was throwing to the wrong guys or not seeing guys who were open. 

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2019, 08:37:30 PM »
Agree with both Packlaw.  It was fun watching the defense.  On 3rd and 4th downs, I expected them to succeed! 

I think Bruce's point is also very well taken.  The Bears scored plenty of points last year, it's not like they had a bad offense.  They were a top-10 scoring offense in the league, and only 3 teams were more than 15 points ahead of the Bears in scoring on the year. 

I also think the negativity about Trubitsky is somewhat puzzling.  It didn't look to me like he was making many particularly bad throws or missing guys who were very open.  Several of his completions were into tight coverage and required rather difficult catches.  Granted, I can't tell if he was throwing to the wrong guys or not seeing guys who were open.

Sometimes fans suffer from a disease I call 'recent-itis'. The symptoms are trashing (for example) a QB who has a bad game. He is useless, rubbish, shoulda drafted 'x' instead, etc. Then a week later he has a good game and the same fans go gaga ('Superbowl here we come'). For these fans, the highs need to be less high and the lows less low, reality is somewhere between the extremes.

I was amused by the Skip Bayliss tweet. After Rodgers postgame quote "We've got a defense", his response was "it was only against Mitch freakin Trubisky". This comes after first picking the Bears to win (no surprise there as he hates the Packers), and second, he ranked QBs a while back and I believe he had Mitch ranked 4th. Can't have it both ways, Skip.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2019, 05:44:22 AM »
Cousins often has quite good touch and accuracy.  Thielen and Diggs are two of the best WR in the league, and Kyle Rudolph is still pretty resourceful.  Next game will be another big test for the defense, in some ways perhaps more challenging with some targets of that caliber. 

Pettine may customize the game plan.  The pressure and collapse-the-pocket against the Bears already worked variably well, and that was against I think a pretty good line.  Last year, the Vikings line was terrible, giving Cousins and the receivers very tight clock on most plays.  Will be interesting to see whether the Packer front is able to really pressure, get some sacks, and really squeeze both pocket and clock on Cousins.  Or whether Diggs and thielen and Rudolph will have time to operate. 

Bears, my perspective (without rewatching anything) is that the Packers D combined front and back.  But I thought the secondary was perhaps more impressive than the front?  I didn't see tons of *quick* sacks? There was pressure, and the pocket was squeezing in, and the clock was ticking in Trubitzky's head for good reason; but many of the sacks or hits themselves were coverage sacks?  Clock ticked, Trubitzky didn't throw, eventually somebody got home. 

The same "get the ball out quicker" preference that Rodgers did not accomplish, Trubitzky routinely did not accomplish either.  Whether that's because Rodgers and Trubitzky don't see the field well and don't process decisions fast enough, or whether receivers just weren't able to get open to the credit of the opposing secondary, of course I can't really determine. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2019, 07:38:43 AM »
The Packers won and that alone is a beautiful thing. The Packers equaled their total of road and division wins in week one of the season, all of PackersNation should be proud and rejoicing for the next week of life.

The game was one of the best defensive games by a Packers team in the last decade. But here is the but in this game from that effort that no one is talking about, the Packers defense knew what offensive plays the Bears were running before they ran the plays. Tramon Williams said yesterday that Amos was calling out the plays pre-snap throughout the game. Stacey Dales posted a clip of Williams breaking down Amos calling out the play of the INT in the endzone. This has happened a number of times that I can recall in recent history were a cerebral player leaves one team and plays that former team out of the gate and the plays are known. A few years back a safety left the Patriots for the Bills and the Bills beat the Patriots 31-0 in the opener, but it didn't slow the Patriots for the rest of that season. Just a word of caution to not draw too hard of conclusions off of one game for the offense or the defense.

Great win. Life is good. Enjoy every minute of this week, I know I am.       

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2019, 08:08:48 AM »
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/06/packers-s-adrian-amos-predicted-bears-playcall-on-game-sealing-int/

[Both Amos and cornerback Tramon Williams detailed how the new Packers safety warned of the incoming route combination and then made the play in the end zone when the exact route he predicted eventually arrived.
“They did the play a couple of times. He missed it one of the times he was open on it, and they did it again and they didn’t hit it,” Amos told Stacey Dales of NFL Network.
With that information in hand, Amos knew the Bears would go back to the route, potentially in a big situation.
The play featured a corner route (or a seven route) from the slot receiver. Facing 3rd-and-10 from the Packers’ 16-yard line, the Bears went right back to it, just as Amos predicted.
“They ran the play early on in the drive also — same thing. Adrian said they ran a 7 route,” Williams said. “He said they’re going to come back to it. I said I’ll be there. They came back to it, I saw him running the seven route. (Amos) made a heck of a play.”
It took both veterans to make the play. Williams identified the route immediately and played it deep enough into the end zone to squeeze the space and force Mitchell Trubisky to overthrow the pass. Amos, playing as a single-high safety, read Trubisky’s eyes the whole way and beelined to the corner, putting himself into a perfect position to haul in the throw.
Amos said he eventually figured out the route combination over the course of the game as the Bears started to establish tendencies in the passing game.
The entire play encapsulates why the Packers spent $37 million to acquire Amos. Not only did he help the defense limit the Bears to only two passing plays over 20 yards, but his experience paid off in a major way during a crucial point in the game. It takes a veteran like Amos to figure out a route combination that’s working in-game and then have the confidence to know a team will go back to it at some point. Information is power, and Amos used the intel he gathered to create arguably the biggest play of his football career.]

I'm not sure that it was Amos' past knowledge of the Bears offense as much as it was his Football IQ/Smarts that made that play possible.

I would like to believe that this will become a trend, that Amos and others on this defense, will make "in game" decisions based on what they are seeing and identifying what the opposing teams tendencies are, and then exploit those tendencies to the Packers advantage.

Amos did just that, and at a crucial moment on the big stage.

I'm more than encouraged.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 08:09:51 AM by dannobanano »

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2019, 08:22:00 AM »
Both of these are great points.  RT's that Amos knows the Bears and knows Trubitsky and the receivers, so huge advantage that may not translate.  But he's also smart, as is Williams, as is danno's point, and it may not have been all "past inside knowledge" versus more general smarts and recognition. 

Not to go all nuts and Pettine-fan and stuff.  But for all of the combine measurables and RAS and stuff that we all obsess about at least around draft time, the NFL is SO much about recognition and decision-making.  Any my sense is that the Packers may have assembled a pretty smart collection of defensive players.  Williams and Amos.  Savage we'll see, but the draft talk and Gute talk and reputation seems to be for a smart, quick-thinking guy.  Jaire I think is really quick.  Obviously Martinez.  I'll admit that's an area where I wonder for Montraveous.  Brown and King, not so sure. 

The reputation is that Pettine and his defense was pretty oriented toward smart guys in the secondary.  Perhaps an area where poor Josh Jones didn't hold up very well. 

In recent years the Packers had assembled a lot of fast athletic UDFA secondary guys.  I suspect a lot of those good-speed-good-RAS UDFA's don't super-often work out is because the 40-speed is sometimes way faster than their brain-speed.  Tramon is a wonderful exception, an UDFA guy who never lacked in the diagnostics department. 

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2019, 09:30:04 AM »
Both of these are great points.  RT's that Amos knows the Bears and knows Trubitsky and the receivers, so huge advantage that may not translate.  But he's also smart, as is Williams, as is danno's point, and it may not have been all "past inside knowledge" versus more general smarts and recognition. 

Not to go all nuts and Pettine-fan and stuff.  But for all of the combine measurables and RAS and stuff that we all obsess about at least around draft time, the NFL is SO much about recognition and decision-making.  Any my sense is that the Packers may have assembled a pretty smart collection of defensive players.  Williams and Amos.  Savage we'll see, but the draft talk and Gute talk and reputation seems to be for a smart, quick-thinking guy.  Jaire I think is really quick.  Obviously Martinez.  I'll admit that's an area where I wonder for Montraveous.  Brown and King, not so sure. 

The reputation is that Pettine and his defense was pretty oriented toward smart guys in the secondary.  Perhaps an area where poor Josh Jones didn't hold up very well. 

In recent years the Packers had assembled a lot of fast athletic UDFA secondary guys.  I suspect a lot of those good-speed-good-RAS UDFA's don't super-often work out is because the 40-speed is sometimes way faster than their brain-speed.  Tramon is a wonderful exception, an UDFA guy who never lacked in the diagnostics department.

I think Pettine is bringing a culture where these guys are believing in each other.  Its one game but these guys are building a confidence in what they CAN do.   If they can  handle Minnesota with Cook, and the WRs, its going to be a big boost to their confidence.  You didnt see guys running alone through our secondary as in the past.   You saw 11 guys going to the ball.  When you get a gang mentality like that, it inspires all the backups to to push the starters and want be part of it. 

granted its game 1, games in Nov-Dec after a season of wear and tear could be much different, but I like what I see.   

Offline Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2019, 11:20:22 AM »
That was as good as I've seen GB's D play in a long time. Considering the Bears' only scoring drive came on a possession where they started in FG range, they effectively shut the Bears out.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2019, 11:26:04 AM »
The Packers won and that alone is a beautiful thing. The Packers equaled their total of road and division wins in week one of the season, all of PackersNation should be proud and rejoicing for the next week of life.

Great win. Life is good. Enjoy every minute of this week, I know I am.       

This sentiment is perfect. Bask in the win, like Bears fans are still clinging to the '85 Bears and (vastly overrated coach) Ditka.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2019, 09:06:34 AM »
The Packers seem to have luckily avoid injury in the Bears game, one down and fifteen more to go.

Mike Spofford

Verified account

@mikespofford
Follow
Follow @mikespofford

More
Everybody practicing for #Packers in Monday’s no-pads during media portion workout except WR Darrius Shepherd & LB Oren Burks. Rookie CB Ka’dar Hollman still wearing red non-contact jersey.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 09:07:10 AM by RT »

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2019, 11:23:36 AM »
Like like like!!!  :):):)