November 22, 2019, 06:34:10 PM

Author Topic: Raiders v Antonio Brown debacle  (Read 1533 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Raiders v Antonio Brown debacle
« on: September 05, 2019, 03:07:52 PM »
In the "you shoulda seen this coming" department, apparently the Raiders are thinking seriously of parting ways with Antonio Brown. The big thing is that apparently they could end up not owing him anything. Whether he would still be on the hook for the fines the team imposed on him for his unexcused absences from practices was not addressed. What a mess. Uber talented, uber jerk. The Pats are actually better off with Josh Gordon.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/05/jon-gruden-we-have-to-adapt-to-antonio-browns-absence/

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/05/antonio-brown-may-end-up-getting-no-payment-at-all-from-the-raiders/
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 03:14:43 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Raiders v Antonio Brown debacle
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 04:25:49 PM »
The key to any of these malcontent acquisitions is being able to get rid of them if needed. 

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 09:28:17 PM »
Btw, Antonio Brown's guaranteed money for the season kicks in on Monday.  No pressure.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 10:04:28 PM »
Btw, Antonio Brown's guaranteed money for the season kicks in on Monday.  No pressure.

It sounds like Brown is becoming more and more disenchanted with the Raiders. And Mayock doesn't seem like he's going to put up with Brown's nonsense. However, if Gruden really wants AB on the team, who will win out? Who will Mark Davis, the team owner, support? Because something or someone will have to give in, and Gruden was hand picked and handsomely overpaid to run the team.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 08:01:45 AM »
Not only have they fined him, they have taken away his guaranteed money.

Which means he is playing on a week to week basis.

Now he wants out.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 09:13:01 AM »
He was just released by the Raiders.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 11:39:32 AM »
He was just released by the Raiders.

The Raiders cancelled all his guaranteed money (is that legal? Stay tuned for the lawsuit/arbitration), effectively cutting his salary considerably and making him a week-to-week player. He asked for his release, and the Raiders complied. Now he's a FA, and will be looking for a lot of money guaranteed (again). Will another team bring in this extremely talented troublemaker? Well, at least one team seems to be willing to take risks with players like Brown, and manage to utilize them and win championships.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/07/will-the-patriots-pursue-antonio-brown/

Josh Gordon and Antonio Brown on the same roster? One troubled by addiction problems, the other by an enormous ego.

And something that means a lot to Brown right now. Enjoy:

https://www.google.com/search?q=please+release+me+song&rlz=1CAACBD_enUS809&oq=please+release+me+song&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.12369j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 11:53:14 AM by ricky »

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 01:07:11 PM »
The key to signing guys like Brown is the ability to dump them quickly without damage. 

There is a precedence with getting these malcontents to play and getting to a Super Bowl:

Andre Rison in GB
Moss in NE
T.O in Philly

I think Pete Carroll would be a good fit for him but even he might not want the headache.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 01:33:36 PM »
Rumor is that Brown wants to take some time off and just spend it with his old helmet.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 02:14:06 PM »
He's going to the Patriots, 1 year deal.  Done.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 03:36:53 PM »
He's going to the Patriots, 1 year deal.  Done.

How many days until the Pats get tired of him also? The guy has become toxic. Talent is one thing, but the Pats in particular are not going to put up with any type of shenanigans. Does Brown have enough discipline to stop the social media nonsense, follow the rules, keep his head down and his nose clean and embrace "the Patriot way"? This has all the makings of a real train wreck. HE will he be able to suit up to play against the Steelers. He'll have to sit out a week. The problem being, he might say all the right things to the Pats now, but I don't believe for a second that he will be able to keep his trap shut very long. The fuse is lit- how long before the explosion happens?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 03:44:54 PM by ricky »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 05:30:45 PM »
I think their is room for a conspiracy theory here.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 06:11:47 PM »
Agree it's all pretty fishy if you ask me.  The guy acted like a complete lunatic.  No team should have signed him.  But yet hours later he's a Patriot?  Yah it stinks for sure. 

Offline davekenya

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 11:23:50 AM »
Well, at 9M guaranteed this year, BB must think he's worth the risk.  His batting average in high-risk deals is OK (W:  Moss, Dillon; L:  Haynesworth  T:  Gordon).  If the Pats can tolerate Brown for 10 weeks, they'd even be eligible for a comp pick for him next year....b/c, you know....NE needs more help and high draft picks.  Thank goodness he didn't end up in Seattle; they're already loading up and getting him would shore up one of their few weaknesses. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 12:02:32 PM »
I think their is room for a conspiracy theory here.

This whole situation reeks of collusion. Brown acts the petulant clown, then goes bananas, then threatens to hit the GM in the face (allegedly), gets the team to impose financial penalties. Then, he asks for his release, gets it, and (this is NOT suspicious at all!) 90 minutes later, he has signed a contract with the Patriots. Will the Pats get away with it? With their history of shady doings, that is not a sure thing. However, if Washington could sign Albert Haynesworth literally the day after he became a free agent, flying him to Washington to sign the completed contract. Somehow, the team and his agent and Haynesworth all agreed on a big, complex contract that was apparently drawn up and ready to go during the period where there was supposed to be no contact between teams and agents. Nothing to see here, move along. My sincere hope is that Brown works out for the Pats as well as Haynesworth did for Washington. On the other hand, the Pats did come in and signed Randy Moss away from the Packers when the Pack thought they had an ironclad agreement with Moss. So, though this smells bad, it could all be above board.