September 15, 2019, 02:39:00 AM

Author Topic: A nod to Viking week dot-dot-dot  (Read 512 times)

Offline B

• HOF Member
A nod to Viking week dot-dot-dot
« on: September 10, 2019, 07:36:13 PM »
In honor of it being Vikings week, maybe posters could share their favorite Viking Packer game memory, followed by their biggest Viking nightmare memory.

I'll start:

Antonio Freeman's on his back overtime winning catch on Monday Night Football in the pouring rain. https://youtu.be/lQmyLLxRNcA

Many Metrodome house of horror memories, but it's hard to top T.J. Rubley's bonehead game giveaway audible from a quarterback sneak call to a pass interception resulting in giving a game to the Vikings. Mike Holmgren cutting him the next day despite Favre and Ty Detmer being injured.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: A nod to Viking week dot-dot-dot
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 02:41:17 AM »
Unlike ricky, the Vikes are the NFC North team I most want to beat. Mainly, that's because of how many years they have been the main competition to the Packers. From the start of the 90's they have been the team to beat, far more so than the Bears.

A win on Sunday would give the Packers a great boost over two very serious rivals (yes, the Bears are good at the moment and so are the Vikings). The NFC North is a very tough division at this time...........Bring it on.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline raptorman

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 07:39:44 AM »
How I became a Vikings fan.

11-6-66 is the day I watched the Vikings beat the Packers in Green Bay on our new color TV.  I loved the idea of Vikings and was into purple and orange at the time. Had it been the Browns, I could have ended up a Browns fan. (Wait, I just threw up in my mouth a bit)   Packer fans at school the next day were upset. (I grew up 28 miles from Lambeau Field in the heart of Packer country. Not being a Packer fan was almost considered a sin.)  And since most of them picked on me because I stuttered, well, it was my way of getting back at them. I had discovered football and how to annoy Packer fans at the same time.   Been Annoying Packer fans ever since. 

BTW, the Vikings went 4-9-1 that year. The Packers won their first super bowl after going 12-2.  Van Brocklin left, Tarkenton left, the next year was the start of the Grant era.
Something new coming soon!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 12:58:36 PM »
Best memory:

Favre to Jennings for the all-time TD record, and doing it in the Humpy Dome.

Worst memory:

Vikes beating Packers in GB in a playoff game with Randy Moss mooning the fans.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 07:04:47 AM »
Best memory was my first ever live NFL game, December 10th 1972. It was a bitter cold day at the old Met Stadium, but the Packers got a rare win against the Vikings in those days 23-7. John Brockington and MacArthur Lane combined for over 200 yards rushing that day and the Purple People Eaters were fighting mad by games end (I think Alan Page was tossed for fighting in the 4th quarter if my memory serves me correct). The Vikings had won 8 of the previous 9 meeting and would go on to win 10 of the next 11, but the day belonged to the Packers on that day. The '70's was not a good decade for the Packers in this series.

Worst memory would probably be the playoff lose, like danno had also said.

Honorable mention on best memory would be the Chrismas Eve game in 2004 that the Packers won with a walk-off FG 34-31. That was one hell of a game! The bad news is that it was just weeks later that the playoff lose to the Vikings happened. 

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 01:25:03 PM »
In honor of it being Vikings week, maybe posters could share their favorite Viking Packer game memory, followed by their biggest Viking nightmare memory.

I'll start:

Antonio Freeman's on his back overtime winning catch on Monday Night Football in the pouring rain. https://youtu.be/lQmyLLxRNcA

Many Metrodome house of horror memories, but it's hard to top T.J. Rubley's bonehead game giveaway audible from a quarterback sneak call to a pass interception resulting in giving a game to the Vikings. Mike Holmgren cutting him the next day despite Favre and Ty Detmer being injured.

Thanks for posting. What a great memory that play was?👌
“What’s going on out there”

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 06:56:47 PM »
It's not my best memory but now that I've grown up I've come to really appreciate what I saw. It wasn't the Randy Moss mooning the fans game, but I just remember this one catch he made in back of the end zone. His back was to the goal post, mid air, and he was falling back and he managed to toe tap to score the TD. I never see it on his highlight reel plays, but that was always the one play of his that stood out to me.

Nightmare is definitely Favre in a Vikings jersey.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 05:50:07 PM »

I'll start:

These may be mine as well.