November 19, 2019, 08:48:44 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Eagles v Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 2046 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Eagles v Packers Game Day Thread
« on: September 23, 2019, 05:36:26 PM »
The banged up and slow starting Eagles will be the next challenge for the Packers. Thursday night, so everyone should be able to see it on their TV. Always a good thing. then a mini-bye to get ready for the Cowboys. The Lions were the latest team to surprise the Eagles, using the tried and true Patriots mantra of "take away their best player." On Sunday, that was TE Zach Ertz. With Alshon Jeffrey and DeSean Jackson out, this limited the offense quite a bit. The Eagles are a surprising 1-2, while the Lions are 2-0-1. For the game Thursday, it's a matter of the offense coming out of it's shell, and the defense continuing to dominate. Can the Packers do it again? In their "trap game" against the Broncos, both sides of the ball were alternately bad and brilliant. But even a relatively out of sync offense scored 27 points and allowed zero sacks; while the defense, though it did allow some leakage to the running game, still came on strong with turnovers and sacks at crucial times (again). So, who is going to be suiting up and ready to make a difference Thursday? Here's the current injury report for both teams:

https://www.packers.com/news/injury-report-packers-vs-eagles-week-4
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
Re: The OFFICIAL Eagles v Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 05:40:59 PM »
Thanks Ricky on this short week.  8)
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 06:36:43 PM »
Think you nailed it with Ertz.  With the their WRs banged up, he becomes a even more vital part of that offense.

Offline whiterook87

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 03:48:41 AM »

Eagles HC Pederson is hoping that Alshon Jeffery will play vs Pack Thursday night.

From Philly newspaper:

The Eagles will play again Thursday, when they face the Packers in Green Bay. The quick turnaround makes it difficult to expect players who missed Sunday’s game with injuries to be ready a few days later.

Despite this, Pederson said he’s optimistic that wide receiver Alshon Jeffery, who missed Sunday’s game because of a calf injury suffered in Week 2 against Atlanta, will be back.

Jeffery was considered “limited” on the team’s injury report.

“I’m hoping that he’s ready to go,” Pederson said. “We’ll see this week, we’ve got a couple of days, but walk-through later today, we’ll get the guys in here and hopefully he’ll be ready to go.”

The Eagles will be without CB Ron Darby Thursday night, who is dealing with a hamstring injury.
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 06:55:38 AM »
The Packers may well be catching the Eagles at the right time on Thursday night. They are a team that is beat up injury wise and traveling on a short week. Advantage GB.

The Philadelphia Eagles are 2-8 ATS in their last 10 September games, including 0-3 this season. They're a road dog at Green Bay, the Packers are 4.5-point favorites on Thursday night.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 08:15:54 AM »
Huge opportunity game for the Packers.  Need to win at home, the road schedule is going to be tough.  Conference wins are also helpful for wildcard tiebreakers and stuff, too.  Really important opportunity to add a victory. 

The following 10 games will be skewed towards road games, so playing above .500 in the last 10 games will be very, very challenging.  But **IF** they can sneak out a win versus Philly, then *IF* they could go .500 the rest of the way, that could get them to 10 wins and a likely playoff game. 

As some of you know, I live close to NDSU, Carson Wentz's college.  He is enormously popular around here, a really classy guy who is super well respected.  So I'm kind of especially interested to see how the Packers defense does against him, and vice versa.  Tough guy with a lot more scramble than flacco or Cousins, and obviously a big deep-ball arm.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 11:39:19 AM »
Now this is impressive.

NFL Research
@NFLResearch
 · 1h
The @packers lead the NFL in defensive pressure pct this season at 39.0% (21st last season). They have done so with the 5th-lowest blitz rate (19.5%).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 11:40:10 AM by The GM »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 11:58:55 AM »
Now this is impressive.

NFL Research
@NFLResearch
 · 1h
The @packers lead the NFL in defensive pressure pct this season at 39.0% (21st last season). They have done so with the 5th-lowest blitz rate (19.5%).

The pressures are two fold. First, the pass rush is very good. But the secondary is playing very well, giving the DL time to reach the passer and, at minimum, harass him. On a totally unrelated not, has anyone noticed that Rodgers is not running for yardage very much this year? Instead, he might maneuver around the pocket, but almost always throws the ball rather than tucking it and going for a first down.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 06:05:13 PM »
Now this is impressive.

NFL Research
@NFLResearch
 · 1h

On a totally unrelated not, has anyone noticed that Rodgers is not running for yardage very much this year? Instead, he might maneuver around the pocket, but almost always throws the ball rather than tucking it and going for a first down.

Much safer to play that way.  If Rodgers or Adams go down with a long time injury, you can put a fork in this team.   

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 08:08:01 AM »
2 thoughts:
1.  One huge advantage is that he's been playing with the lead almost non-stop.  Were down 3-0 for some first-half in Chicago, but after the great catch by Graham for the TD there, he's had the lead constantly since.  Scored on opening possessions in each of the last two games.  I think you do more scrambling and taking chances and doing anything you can to make a play when you're losing and need to catch up.   Don't try desperate things when you're winning. 

2.  I wonder if it's necessarily much safer in the pocket than rolling out or scrambling a little bit?  I don't really recall any of his past injuries being on scrambling-for-first-down-yardage type plays at all? In those, he can often see who's coming, and slide and stuff.  But in the pocket, guys can unexpectedly break free and chase and smash you, and he's going to try to turn away from them regardless.  Plus, in the pocket, everything is more crowded and congested.  More likely to get jolted from behind, because the pressure often comes from both sides or from behind his vision.  Plus lots more legs and bodies falling around back there, so hand/wrist injuries of making a throw and hitting somebody; or ankle injuries where you end up stepping on somebody or getting your ankle bashed is risky; and just anything injuries where there are there are more than just single tackler and QB involved, but instead have additional tacklers or bodies that you're crashing into.   

Rodgers comments were interesting about how good he felt physically after Sunday, versus how usually for a Sunday-Thursday he'd still be hurting through Wednesday or beyond. 

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 09:49:26 AM »

2.  I wonder if it's necessarily much safer in the pocket than rolling out or scrambling a little bit?  I don't really recall any of his past injuries being on scrambling-for-first-down-yardage type plays at all? In those, he can often see who's coming, and slide and stuff.  But in the pocket, guys can unexpectedly break free and chase and smash you, and he's going to try to turn away from them regardless.  Plus, in the pocket, everything is more crowded and congested.  More likely to get jolted from behind, because the pressure often comes from both sides or from behind his vision.  Plus lots more legs and bodies falling around back there, so hand/wrist injuries of making a throw and hitting somebody; or ankle injuries where you end up stepping on somebody or getting your ankle bashed is risky; and just anything injuries where there are there are more than just single tackler and QB involved, but instead have additional tacklers or bodies that you're crashing into.   

Rodgers comments were interesting about how good he felt physically after Sunday, versus how usually for a Sunday-Thursday he'd still be hurting through Wednesday or beyond.

Agree Craig, while he's running he can get a much better view of whats coming and prepare.   While in the pocket your focus is primarily downfield.   I think he needs to pick his spots to run, be smart and get down or out of bounds before getting hit.   He does a good job of that.  My concern is also the holding the ball in the pocket, yes it can work, but it also opens you up to those shots you dont always see coming.     

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 09:58:19 AM »
As many mentioned, seems we are catching the Eagles on the right week. DeSean Jackson is out, Eagles already lost Jackson on their defensive line, and Jeffery and Goeddert are banged up. Eagles started to get Sanders more involved last week, he is a player to keep an eye on as hes versatile and similar to Lindsay, whom we struggled to stop. But the biggest problem I foresee is containing their tight ends, Ertz especially, and Alshon certainly with his length can win on a deep ball vs. anyone.

Hope this is the offensive breakout game we've been waiting for, Eagles pass defense is poor, and can be attacked, would love to see us spread them out and attack this weakness from the get go.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 10:21:58 AM »
To some degree we're an ideal matchup for the Eagles.  If vulnerable secondary is their biggest crisis, the Packers with just Adams and MVS as our only drafted targets, and with nothing happening at TE either, that's about as easy as possible a group for a weakened secondary to defend.  Not sure you need lots of pro-bowlers to mirror most of our guys, and MVS is the only one who might stress you speed-wise. 

But yeah, hopefully our guys can get some separation and Rodgers can find them and hit them.  And hopefully we can get some big plays to set up some scores.  Certainly might seem like an opportunity game for our passing attach to show more production. 

I think that would be really helpful, actually.  Rodgers and MLF are constantly talking about getting the ball more into X,Y, or Z's hands.  But when you punt so often and so quickly, there just haven't been that many offensive plays to get the ball into anybody's hands!  Make some first downs, and everybody gets more opportunities.  And I assume the more plays you run, the more variations you can run, too?  If each play design is supposed to have several branches, and sometimes the first usage or two is supposed to set up big-play later variants, it's harder to trick the defense and hit big on the later variants if you never run enough plays to get to them.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 10:43:46 AM »

On a totally unrelated not, has anyone noticed that Rodgers is not running for yardage very much this year? Instead, he might maneuver around the pocket, but almost always throws the ball rather than tucking it and going for a first down.

Much safer to play that way.  If Rodgers or Adams go down with a long time injury, you can put a fork in this team.

That has always been true about Rodgers. But he still ran. So this is apparently a coaching change/decision. And it could be that AR is finally getting to the point where he simply doesn't want to take any unnecessary hits- or even necessary ones. On an expanded note, Williams got the majority of touches last week, even though Jones did get the two TD's. This also seems to be a good idea. After all, Jones ended up on IR the last two years, so limiting his touches against a "lesser team" only makes sense. Also, notice that MLF is definitely leaning on the running game to have a more balanced game plan. This might mean a lower YPC for each RB, but it should help to keep the defenses more honest, rather than being able to ignore the run and sell out on rushing Rodgers.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 10:49:52 AM »

Agree Craig, while he's running he can get a much better view of whats coming and prepare.   While in the pocket your focus is primarily downfield.   I think he needs to pick his spots to run, be smart and get down or out of bounds before getting hit.   He does a good job of that.  My concern is also the holding the ball in the pocket, yes it can work, but it also opens you up to those shots you dont always see coming.     

Rodgers still moves around in the pocket, rolls out while keeping his eyes downfield, and throws the ball away when he feels the pressure/(gets frustrated?). That second part could account for a lot of throws into the dirt near a receiver, but without the receiver having a real chance to catch the ball. Whether that is dumping the ball or frustration is up for debate. Could be either one depending on the situation. And Rodgers has indeed had a lot of success running, then avoiding big hits while sliding or getting out of bounds. The point is, he's not doing that this year. Being ahead in a game is no reason not to scramble- after all, keeping drives alive, eating up the clock and getting into scoring position is what counts. The fact that he isn't doing that indicates a change in how he plays.