November 19, 2019, 08:14:44 PM

Author Topic: Beating the drum for Wirfs  (Read 579 times)

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
Beating the drum for Wirfs
« on: September 24, 2019, 08:14:25 PM »
He could anchor our line for years, will knock the combine out of the park and GB management will be gaga over is test results, he will meet every criteria, and is a really great small town kid.

Oh and played RT and LT this year for Iowa. Can find a more MUST have in this next draft. 

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Beating the drum for Wirfs
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 11:29:08 AM »
I do like the idea of getting Wirfs.

He has real value as someone who can play at either tackle spot and he comes from a college well known for a longstanding reputation for good O linemen. Unfortunately at this early stage it isn't clear where he is valued relative to others. For example, Fanspeak currently rates him at #11 overall, Utopia at #33 and Draftek at #68. It is impossible at this time to work out where his value lies.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 07:59:36 PM »
IMO Wirfs is an absolute stud and will go in the top 15. Hopefully the packers are picking MUCH later than that

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 05:24:26 PM »
Unless Martinez doesn't come back and there is a stud inside linebacker available I see them going offense on round 1 and through most of the draft.

This is not a good year for tight ends and running backs can be found later I see them going O line or wr in round 1.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 09:25:45 AM »
IMO Wirfs is an absolute stud and will go in the top 15. Hopefully the packers are picking MUCH later than that

as I see more comments on Wirf, that seems likely, gone before the Packers pick (for example Bleacher Report's Matt Miller has him as no.8 overall). Early reports on him this year are good, so expect him to go high in round one, barring injury or a catastrophic run of bad play weeks.

There are a choice of several OTs later in round one, so it isn't Wirfs or bust at OT.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 01:11:01 PM »

as I see more comments on Wirf, that seems likely, gone before the Packers pick (for example Bleacher Report's Matt Miller has him as no.8 overall). Early reports on him this year are good, so expect him to go high in round one, barring injury or a catastrophic run of bad play weeks.

There are a choice of several OTs later in round one, so it isn't Wirfs or bust at OT.

Bakhtiari came in round four, I believe. So, it is possible to find gems later in the draft. And drafting someone in the first round is hardly a guarantee they'll be as good in the NFL.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 01:15:03 PM »
Bakhtiari came in round four, I believe. So, it is possible to find gems later in the draft. And drafting someone in the first round is hardly a guarantee they'll be as good in the NFL.

True, but late round gems like that are very rare. You want a starting level OT, it is likely to be in rounds one or two. after that the odds are very much against you. Sure you get busts in round one at OT, but your success chance is much higher.

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 02:50:37 PM »
Latest CBS Mock has Wirfs going #3 to the Bengals. So HIGHLY unlikely he ends up as a packer unless he is injured or the backers go 3-13

The same Mock has the packers selecting Tyler Biadasz at #27. I am totally on board with that.

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 06:04:45 PM »
 Last year was a good year for interior OL declaring, this is a good year for OT. Should be able to find a good one in the first 3 rounds. Toward the end of the 1st where I think we will be picking though, could be a rare year where there are some good RB's/ WR's there well worth taking.