October 15, 2019, 09:18:45 PM

Author Topic: Wow, what a game...  (Read 924 times)

Online packlaw

• Starter
Wow, what a game...
« on: October 06, 2019, 07:55:32 PM »
Dallas must be in shock.pre-game predictions, the loss of Adams, last week's defenses debacle against the run and  Troy's obvious bias seemed the outcome was obvious, a Dallas win.  Throughout the broadcast, Troy's bias was present; the outcome was unexpected.  There were a lot of reasons to criticize but in the end, a win is a win.  The bad calls/ non-calls evened out.  We still cannot close out a game by the fourth quarter and our offense will still experience problems until we get Adams back and hope a #2 receiver emerges. However, Rogers is still HOF Rogers and Jones is the real deal. Against all odds, the defense contained the run and made key recoveries.  Barring injuries, this team is still on the upswing and haven't reached their full potential. Can I say no one imagined a 4-1 start?  The Lions will be tough, but this team is exciting to watch. 

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Wow, what a game...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 03:10:26 AM »
Z.Smith doing a Ray Lewis dance, after Lewis claimed the Packers had no leaders on defense............priceless.

When you can praise players like Redmond, Sullivan, Patrick and Carson after the game, it tells you the depth on this team is p.r.e.t.t.y. good this year.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 06:37:36 AM »
I thought the Sullivan pick-up was a great grab by Gutsey. He has played well when given the opportunity. I looked at the Adams injury as a chance to see if Rodgers would start throwing to the open receivers verses forcing the ball into tight coverage. He did spread it around. It also appears that Rodgers and MVS still can't seem to connect on a regular basis. The ball seems to always be underthrown.
Green Bay played a great half, but relaxed against a very good opponent. They can't do that ever and hopefully was a good learning opportunity for the players.
One last thought...Alexander didn't that well. Is Cooper that good or Alexander played a poor game? Either way...Copper will want to get paid this year, and my question is can the Cowboys afford him if they pay Prescott his money? If not, maybe that's a trade the Packers need to make.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 08:09:24 AM »
Agree that it was a great game, the 4th such win in the early season. Very satisfying victory!

The Packers were the beneficiaries of the Cowboys repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot most of the game and the Packers defense really never stopped them, but wins come in many different shapes and forms and I will enjoy it regardless of how it was obtained. Personally I hope the Packers do not see the Cowboys again this season because I don't believe such a perfect storm would bless the Packers twice in one season. But this one is written in stone and in the record books forever.

With wins against the Bears, Vikings, Broncos and Cowboys already in the bank it has been a special first five weeks of the season. Life is good, hope everyone is loving the season so far. I know I sure am!

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 08:47:19 AM »
Fun win.  Not often your defense gives up 563 yards and you get out-yardaged by 228 yards, but you still win, and kind of decisively. 

Testifies to the power of the turnover.  Last two wins have both been 3-turnover games, and the first two wins had 5 more.  No turnover advantage versus Eagles, game lost. 

Having a massive turnover advantage like this is not a sustainable thing to count on or to project moving forward.  But like you say, RT, they happened in these four games, and the four turnover-enabled wins are all on the books.  I hope we get six more games with +3 turnovers! 

Could have had one more, King had another one right on his hands, that he let through his hands and bounced off his helmet. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 11:53:07 AM »
One last thought...Alexander didn't that well. Is Cooper that good or Alexander played a poor game? Either way...Copper will want to get paid this year, and my question is can the Cowboys afford him if they pay Prescott his money? If not, maybe that's a trade the Packers need to make.

Alexander definitely had an "off" game. But on that sideline catch by Cooper, that was simply an amazing catch by an excellent player. What bothered me more was Z. Smith mouthing off to Prescott and some other on field nonsense. Play with passion and all out, but don't give the refs an excuse to throw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. And speaking of the refs, they were wildly uneven all game. At times they seemed to be looking to penalize the Cowboys (the flag against Garrett was more spleen than rules), and sometimes tried to help the Cowboys (the phantom movement by the offense before the snap hit a WR in the leg for a fumble; the roughing call against Gary). But what bothers me most is something that came up in the game repeatedly: hands to the face by linemen was called several times. But if a DB gets his hands in the face of a WR who is trying to make a catch, that's OK? It's not just the Packers who are falling victim to this; it seems widespread (I try to catch at least three/four games a week).
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 05:58:00 PM »
I think this reviewing of PI is going to be the new catch debate.  What is a catch now is what is PI. Everything looks worse in slow motion.  I get the premise, but I think its opening a can of worms.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 06:04:58 PM »

Alexander definitely had an "off" game. But on that sideline catch by Cooper, that was simply an amazing catch by an excellent player. What bothered me more was Z. Smith mouthing off to Prescott and some other on field nonsense. Play with passion and all out, but don't give the refs an excuse to throw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. And speaking of the refs, they were wildly uneven all game. At times they seemed to be looking to penalize the Cowboys (the flag against Garrett was more spleen than rules), and sometimes tried to help the Cowboys (the phantom movement by the offense before the snap hit a WR in the leg for a fumble; the roughing call against Gary). But what bothers me most is something that came up in the game repeatedly: hands to the face by linemen was called several times. But if a DB gets his hands in the face of a WR who is trying to make a catch, that's OK? It's not just the Packers who are falling victim to this; it seems widespread (I try to catch at least three/four games a week).

Viewing the replay, there was a false start. Because the center didnt snap on time and the rest of the line moved. The hands to the face call is on the Dline, because he literally placed his palms on the bottom of the Olinemans facemask and was driving it upwards. Defensive backs cant be called for face guarding. Which is simply putting your hands in front of the face to obscure views, no contact. Big difference in those two calls.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 07:43:07 PM »

Viewing the replay, there was a false start. Because the center didnt snap on time and the rest of the line moved. The hands to the face call is on the Dline, because he literally placed his palms on the bottom of the Olinemans facemask and was driving it upwards. Defensive backs cant be called for face guarding. Which is simply putting your hands in front of the face to obscure views, no contact. Big difference in those two calls.

The DB's I was referencing weren't just obstructing a view, but actively had their hands on the facemask area of the helmet. Not grabbing, but definitely touching.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 08:18:29 PM »

The DB's I was referencing weren't just obstructing a view, but actively had their hands on the facemask area of the helmet. Not grabbing, but definitely touching.

I didn't see any of that but was in and out most of the game. I did see King get away with absolutely mauling his man on that second half INT. We got lucky on that one.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 08:50:46 AM »
Big win for the Packers.. if comes to tiebreakers late in season this will help.  Impressive Packers are 4-1 and 4 of the teams they have played are presently 3-2 (3 of them a loss thanks to Packers), so the competition has been good.

Good:
 - Aaron Jones running the ball. Saw the lanes, successful close to goal line and averaged for 5 yards per carry.
 - Offensive line creating holes for Aaron Jones and pretty good with protection for Rodgers.
 - Patrick coming in for Linsley, other than one low snap I remember.. did not appear a big drop off.
 - Defense creating turnovers...  Sullivan interception was very impressive
 - Getting out to big lead
 - No turnovers from our offense
 - Crosby - appeared to get hurt.. but was able to continue, nailed some FGs and also put kickoffs after apparent injury in end zone
 - Jake Scott punting (again).. nearly 50 yard average

Bad:
 - Defense being gashed for yards.. pass defense looked atrocious with exception of some timely interceptions
 - Pass rushers other than someone named Smith - Smiths had only sacks and nearly all of pressures.
 - Zeke averaged over 5 yards a carry... fortunately big lead probably limited him to 12 carries
 - Injuries, hope Savage injury is not too long. Think he is important on back end with ground he can cover
 - Big plays by Dallas in passing game
 - Referees - think they got into the game a bit too much. Wonder what Garrett said to get the penalty...  King interception was a mauling
 - Tired of the sideline drama between Rodgers and LaFleur when Rodgers comes off the field

Really unsure about this defense as season continues, do not feel that defense is as good as advertised after first 2 games. I do think we miss Mike Daniels up front.. however, DanielĀ“s hurt this season already and his numbers do not impress on paper. Only watched parts of Eagles game (he was already out) and Arizona game late when Lions defense was getting gashed.. so may have been correct decision to let him go.

Lions coming off the bye.. swept Packers last year. This is a big one to get to stay on top in the North. Do have extra day to get ready and it is at Lambeau.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 09:33:03 AM »
The pass protection for Rodgers was really, really good. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 09:38:24 AM »
The pass protection for Rodgers was really, really good.

The OL has been greatly improved since the Bears game. But whether that is totally on them, or if Rodgers is finally throwing more quickly is up for debate.

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 02:37:07 PM »
Its not often you get outgained like that and still win.

But the turnovers really hurt the Cowboys, and the two injuries to their starting tackles were bad also.

But as I say, we will take it since those things usually even out over the year.

Jones had an excellent game.  Took a lot of pressure off of AR. And the OL did well.

IMO, Garrett deserves to be fired at the end of the year.  He has a really good team that is not playing to its potential.