October 15, 2019, 09:37:23 PM

Author Topic: Elgton Jenkins  (Read 1031 times)

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Elgton Jenkins
« on: October 07, 2019, 10:02:51 AM »
Dont underestimate what this guy is bringing to this offense.  He's kickin a$$ and taking names.  Cant wait until he gets some experience.  Hes going to be difference maker up front.

Offline rock county

• Starter
Re: Elgton Jenkins
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 01:18:20 PM »
Agree 100%.   Enjoy watching him develop.  His mistakes have been aggressive ones.  Was surprise that he didn't move to Center when Lindsley went down.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 02:49:42 PM »
Agree 100%.   Enjoy watching him develop.  His mistakes have been aggressive ones.  Was surprise that he didn't move to Center when Lindsley went down.

Apparently the team analyzed the play of Jenkins and Patrick, and decided that their strengths were at the positions they played. This is something a team can do with confidence, while we fans can only speculate.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 03:00:58 PM »
Patrick's strength was not at center!  :):):)  Kind of neat that he made two such awful shotgun snaps that were so unintentionally wildly wild that they went to Jones, and Jones turned both into variably decent runs.  Sometimes it helps to be super lucky, and getting away with that level of awfulness in the center snaps was pretty sweet.  Hopefully if Linsley is out for a bit, Patrick won't be quite THAT bad on a consistent basis.  Will be interesting if they do just leave him in that position, or do switch Jenkins over. 

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 06:06:25 PM »
Jenkins collected some holding penalties in Dallas. Let's hope he doesnt make that a habit.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 08:53:15 AM »
Also gotta mention Bulaga.  Guy is playing some lights out football.  Handling Mack and shutting out Lawrence among others.  The concern with him is always his health, but he's getting it done against some pretty good pass rushers.   

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 09:31:06 AM »
Yeah, that was a huge relief to have him back and effective.  When he got knocked out of the earlier game and Light was in, I was pretty nervous about that.  Lot of good breaks for us. 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 09:35:35 AM »
Also gotta mention Bulaga.  Guy is playing some lights out football.  Handling Mack and shutting out Lawrence among others.  The concern with him is always his health, but he's getting it done against some pretty good pass rushers.

Bulaga is an excellent RT. That was never in question. The knock on him is his inability to stay healthy. Not his fault, but then again, not good for the team either. Similar to King: on field, he's an asset; problem being, he's only on the field about half of his NFL career so far.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 09:47:32 PM »
Patrick's strength was not at center!  :):):)  Kind of neat that he made two such awful shotgun snaps that were so unintentionally wildly wild that they went to Jones, and Jones turned both into variably decent runs.  Sometimes it helps to be super lucky, and getting away with that level of awfulness in the center snaps was pretty sweet.  Hopefully if Linsley is out for a bit, Patrick won't be quite THAT bad on a consistent basis.  Will be interesting if they do just leave him in that position, or do switch Jenkins over.

Watched a replay of the game on NFL Network. I wanted to see if your theory that Patrick had two "unintentionally wildly wild" shotgun snaps that went to the RB, not Rodgers. Those were intentional. An offshoot of the "wildcat".

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 03:05:28 AM »
Listening to post-game stuff it seems that either Patrick's wayward snaps were truly errors, as LaFleur has suggested, OR he's being cute pretending they were errors, when they were designed plays to the RB and he is deliberately messing with the heads of opposing DCs.

When you look at the O line at the moment, We have two excellent tackles in Bulaga/Bakhtiari 'the Killer Bees', a rookie guard who shows every sign of becoming AT LEAST a good guard, a high quality Center, along with a RG who is a fine run blocker and a not-so-great pass protector. As backups we have Taylor (when fit), Light (who looks anti-awful at tackle) and Patrick, whose main concern might be shotgun snaps, but seems able to man the Center position otherwise.

Given the strength of most teams O lines, I'll take that all day and twice on Sundays.

Next year there are certainly questions. Does Bulaga get the third contract, which is hard to refuse with the lights-out way he is playing. If he is gone that is a huge hole that needs filling with an instant starter-level replacement. Taylor may well be gone after losing his starter position to Jenkins (part of that might depend on if he can stomach a 'demotion' to backup). The Packers will have a similar problem (to the keeping of Bulaga) with Linsley, as his contract runs out at the end of 2020, when he'll be 29. Bakhtiari's contract also runs out after 2020 (but he is only 28 then).

You never want to see an O line as good as the Packers one is now breaking up, but change is inevitable as time marches on. We lost Lang and Sitton and still have an excellent line,  so I'm hopeful that can continue that with some clever investments over time. If forced to peer into the future with my murky crystal ball, I'd say there will be a time when the O line is much less accomplished than it is now. That might be as soon as next year, if Bulaga is gone AND no decent RT replacement is found, or it might be as late as 2024/2025 when Bakh retires.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 03:07:45 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 03:06:09 AM »
When I am modifying a post, it seems to both modify it and double post it ?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 03:08:59 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 03:06:36 AM »
double post

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 08:53:33 AM »
When teams win many fans gloss over glaring issues, but Turner has not been very good as a pass blocker yet this season. If the long term plan was to shift him to RT next season I'm guessing the front office is scrambling on working out their Plan B for the position. Without major improvement he is not the answer. This is from ESPN's analytics guy.

Seth Walder

@SethWalder
Follow
Follow @SethWalder

More
Billy Turner had the worst PBWR among all guards in Week 5

PBWR - Pass Blocking Win Rate

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 11:06:30 AM »
Turner has definitely been up and down when it comes to pass blocking so far this year. But his run blocking has been pretty good, especially this last week against DAL.

Not sure why the issue with pass blocking, because this...……………

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/21/packers-ol-billy-turner-didnt-allow-a-sack-over-final-7-games-of-2018/

"According to Pro Football Focus, Turner didn’t allow a sack over his final seven starts during the 2018 season despite playing the fourth-most pass-blocking snaps among guards in the NFL. He also allowed only one quarterback hit."

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 12:02:46 PM »
yeah, Turner's been a liability.  He may improve some as time goes by, but he's not been good and he doesn't project as a long-term asset starter, at guard or at tackle. 

He'll be a $7.6 cap hit next year if they keep him; $6.7 dead-cap if they cut him.  (If they keep him through next year and then cut, he'll be $4.5 dead cap after next season.) 

It's been 5 games; maybe he's going to settle in and become a perfectly solidly competent average-or-better guard.  Hope springs eternal. 

But he may be a guy you look to replace soon, perhaps next spring. 

This is kinda the deal where you wish the defensive guys would step up, so we could spend all three 1st-2nd day picks on offense next draft.  Between tackle, guard, center, WR, TE, and RB, a talented WR, we could use about 6 1st-2nd-day draft picks on offense!