November 19, 2019, 08:55:25 PM

Author Topic: 2020 Draft Needs  (Read 682 times)

Offline Noble Warrior

• Starter
2020 Draft Needs
« on: October 07, 2019, 08:09:47 PM »
A great run stuffing middle linebacker who's decent against the pass
the heir apparent to Bulaga at RT
Billy Turner isn't setting the world on fire at RG so maybe a true road grader type RG

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
Re: 2020 Draft Needs
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 05:45:56 PM »
In order of priority.

1. OT
2. WR
3. ILB
4. RB
5. TE
6. DT

That's how I see it at the moment.  A decent backup QB would be nice also.  Still want to trade for Rosen.  His price keeps dropping.  Probably get him for a 4th by the time the draft rolls around.

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 07:02:23 PM »
In order of priority.

1. OT
2. WR
3. ILB
4. RB
5. TE
6. DT

That's how I see it at the moment.  A decent backup QB would be nice also.  Still want to trade for Rosen.  His price keeps dropping.  Probably get him for a 4th by the time the draft rolls around.

I pretty much agree but would move DT up the list and RB down.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 07:12:52 AM »
The Packers should be losing at least two CBs at the end of the year. T.Williams is 37 next year, so despite great durability and solid play at his age, he is very likely to be gone. Josh Jackson, if retained, will be a safety going forward. Even though the Packers have overdrafted CB in the last 7-8 years, those losses could persuade Gute to invest a mid round pick to recover the depth at the position. The 4th and 5th round picks look like a possible CB landing spot.

I don't see value anywhere at TE this year, unless Okwuegbunam falls to the Packers 2nd round pick as he did in my latest Fanspeak mock (yeah, that isn't going to happen). Going to have to rely on Tonyan and Sternberger next year, maybe with another vet pickup (Lewis and Graham will surely be gone).

A WR taken early could sure help the Packers passing game down the road, but a good vet pickup might be a smarter route to an instant upgrade. If you're getting a good vet then WR is a much lower priority, as MVS and ESB both enter their crucial third year.

DL I fully understand, Clark definitely needs more snaps to rest, but if Keke breaks out, along with the improving M.Adams, it might be redundant. You need to be watching practice every day to get a feel for how Keke is coming along.

RB is very much down to how LaFleur feels about getting a stud. If he wants one this is an excellent year for it...........but it is also a good year for solid RBs later in the draft like J.K.Dobbins (big, solid runner) or McFarland (undersized with real burner 4.2 speed) somewhere in round 3, or maybe the punishing 240lb A.J.Dillon in the 4th.

As I've said elsewhere this is a very good year for WRs, RBs and ILBs, and not terrible for OTs either, so apart from the TE need, it fits what GB wants pretty well.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 01:52:41 PM »
The Packers should be losing at least two CBs at the end of the year. T.Williams is 37 next year, so despite great durability and solid play at his age, he is very likely to be gone. Josh Jackson, if retained, will be a safety going forward. Even though the Packers have overdrafted CB in the last 7-8 years, those losses could persuade Gute to invest a mid round pick to recover the depth at the position. The 4th and 5th round picks look like a possible CB landing spot.
{Along with Brown, Sullivan, and Hollman, they have Kabion Ento [who they like a lot] on the PS, so I wouldn't go any higher than 5th round at CB unless a 1st/2nd round rated player dropped to 3rd/4th round}

I don't see value anywhere at TE this year, unless Okwuegbunam falls to the Packers 2nd round pick as he did in my latest Fanspeak mock (yeah, that isn't going to happen). Going to have to rely on Tonyan and Sternberger next year, maybe with another vet pickup (Lewis and Graham will surely be gone).
{Agree, not the right draft for THE KIND OF TE that the Packers need. They need a Combo TE, like a Hockenson, and there just isn't a top combo prospect this year. Look for a mid-level FA signing, and like you said, hope that Tonyan/Sternberger take more steps forward}

A WR taken early could sure help the Packers passing game down the road, but a good vet pickup might be a smarter route to an instant upgrade. If you're getting a good vet then WR is a much lower priority, as MVS and ESB both enter their crucial third year.\
{This will be an early draft priority, even if the pick up a veteran, because I don't see them spending top FA money for a WR. Maybe for a mid-level veteran. They need a long term answer, and that's why it should still be an early pick}

DL I fully understand, Clark definitely needs more snaps to rest, but if Keke breaks out, along with the improving M.Adams, it might be redundant. You need to be watching practice every day to get a feel for how Keke is coming along.
{Clark plays NT. Packers have a bunch of DE's, but Lancaster is the only true NT to backup Clark. Finding an improvement over him might be what they look for in the draft}

RB is very much down to how LaFleur feels about getting a stud. If he wants one this is an excellent year for it...........but it is also a good year for solid RBs later in the draft like J.K.Dobbins (big, solid runner) or McFarland (undersized with real burner 4.2 speed) somewhere in round 3, or maybe the punishing 240lb A.J.Dillon in the 4th.
{RB in the 3rd/4th rounds might be the ticket here. They need better depth than what Dexter Williams and Tra Carson give them. D-Will was a draft day flyer. They took a chance on him. He's a 50/50 shot to stick long term. They need better odds than that. Dobbins, Akers, and Benjamin might be names to remember.}

As I've said elsewhere this is a very good year for WRs, RBs and ILBs, and not terrible for OTs either, so apart from the TE need, it fits what GB wants pretty well.

{OT should get early consideration, like WR. ILB has better depth than previous years. I like Krys Barnes in 3rd or 4th.}