December 05, 2019, 07:31:20 PM

Author Topic: Really Early 4 Round Mock / Wish List for 2020 Draft  (Read 510 times)

Offline Noble Warrior

• Starter
Really Early 4 Round Mock / Wish List for 2020 Draft
« on: October 08, 2019, 06:42:01 PM »
1. Tristan Wirfs*, OT, Iowa
2.  Erroll Thompson*, ILB, Mississippi State
3. Naquan Jones*, DT, Michigan State
4. Ben Cleveland, G, Georgia

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Really Early 4 Round Mock / Wish List for 2020 Draft
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 03:48:23 AM »
I have no problem with any of the positional selections as help would be appreciated at all of them.  ILB is a good pick because it is such a good year for them (compared to how poor 2019 was there), so there will be lots of choice and probably good bargains will be available.

Despite the need, I think it unlikely we get a TE in the first four rounds as it is such a poor year for them and I wouldn't be happy about spending a first on Okwuegbunam or a second on Pinckney, as I think there will be better prospects at other positions.

I do see CB, WR, RB, as potential targets in the first 4 rounds.

CB, because Josh Jackson either becomes a safety or is gone (being overtaken by Holman/Sullivan/Brown says his future is not at CB). Also, expect the apparently ageless T.Will to be gone as he is 37 next year. (!)  I can almost hear the fans groans if another CB is taken in 2020 in round 3/4, but it would be a decent move to do so.

WR, because the Packers might feel they want a better outside WR (over MVS and ESB) or a better slot WR (over Allison, Shepherd and others). Much of that will be determined over the course of this year, as MLF can analyse what his current WRs can do with the snaps. Also, WR because it is an excellent year for them, so there is likely to be good value and good choice there in the first three rounds. Later picks at WR don't make so much sense, as there is already good depth at WR. It's the no.2 or no.3 spot they might want to upgrade. I would be fascinated to have a true WR burner like Ruggs (who is a genuine 4.2 40 guy) but that probably requires a round 1 pick.

RB because this is a good year for them too. La Fleur likes the run game enough that a pick there in the 2/3/4 round might attract him. Round 2 just might have guys like Etienne and Taylor still there, though it would probably require a trade up in that round to get them, because we already know the Packers won't be picking early in 2020.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 03:49:22 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Really Early 4 Round Mock / Wish List for 2020 Draft
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 06:09:11 AM »
I have no problem with any of the positional selections as help would be appreciated at all of them.  ILB is a good pick because it is such a good year for them (compared to how poor 2019 was there), so there will be lots of choice and probably good bargains will be available.

[I see ILB as a 3rd/4th round priority, unless a round 1 talent slips to the 2nd round. There will be solid talent available in the middle rounds. Case in point, Krys Barnes of UCLA. He's a prospect that plays both run/pass very well and currently projects as a 3rd-5th round pick.]

Despite the need, I think it unlikely we get a TE in the first four rounds as it is such a poor year for them and I wouldn't be happy about spending a first on Okwuegbunam or a second on Pinckney, as I think there will be better prospects at other positions.

[The signing of TE Wolf to the PS may have been a signal they are looking to develop what's already on the roster (Sternberger, Tonyan, Baylis, and Wolf) as opposed to using a high draft pick on this position. A late round pick or UDFA would not be a shock though)

I do see CB, WR, RB, as potential targets in the first 4 rounds.

CB, because Josh Jackson either becomes a safety or is gone (being overtaken by Holman/Sullivan/Brown says his future is not at CB). Also, expect the apparently ageless T.Will to be gone as he is 37 next year. (!)  I can almost hear the fans groans if another CB is taken in 2020 in round 3/4, but it would be a decent move to do so.

[You just gave the reason "why" the Packers don't need to spend a pick on CB in the first 4 rounds. Hollman, Sullivan, and Brown give the Packers depth/talent at CB, AND they are also very high on Kabion Ento who is on the PS. Now, should a player of Hollman's talent slip to rounds 5-6, then I could imagine them seeing that as a value pick and making that choice. Otherwise, you will see UDFA's added as developmental fodder]

WR, because the Packers might feel they want a better outside WR (over MVS and ESB) or a better slot WR (over Allison, Shepherd and others). Much of that will be determined over the course of this year, as MLF can analyse what his current WRs can do with the snaps. Also, WR because it is an excellent year for them, so there is likely to be good value and good choice there in the first three rounds. Later picks at WR don't make so much sense, as there is already good depth at WR. It's the no.2 or no.3 spot they might want to upgrade. I would be fascinated to have a true WR burner like Ruggs (who is a genuine 4.2 40 guy) but that probably requires a round 1 pick.

[Here's where they will likely be using a high pick of the 1st/2nd round variety. Shenault would be my choice as a #2 compliment to Adams. But Smith, Ruggs, Terry, Gandy-Golden, and Lamb could all be in the mix as well, and that's why this may be a 2nd round pick. Because there's so much talent available.]

RB because this is a good year for them too. La Fleur likes the run game enough that a pick there in the 2/3/4 round might attract him. Round 2 just might have guys like Etienne and Taylor still there, though it would probably require a trade up in that round to get them, because we already know the Packers won't be picking early in 2020.

[Whether they go UFA or draft pick, they have to find another player that can offer a similar skill set that Aaron Jones has. Williams is not the same as Jones, and neither is Carson. If they can find a "Jones type" RB to add to the mix, then they can keep both relatively fresh and drive defenses crazy. Cam Akers and Eno Benjamin fit the profile]

[OT needs to be in the conversation as an early possible pick, unless they feel Bulaga has enough left for another go around (he's playing great right now) and maybe make him a 3 yr deal that gives them an "out" after year 2? Cutting Graham and Lane Taylor next year will save them nearly $13M in cap space. And they are grooming Yosh Nijman on the PS. Of the remaining Packer UFA's, Blake Martinez would be the next highest rated priority signing for Gute, or does a high draft pick at ILB along with Burks make it a possibility that they let Martinez walk in FA? Kenny Clark is the elephant in the room, but they do have him on his 5th year option next year and, as we all know, these contract extension are all about guarantee's and structure, as opposed to AAV. They can get Clark done with his biggest impact against the cap coming after the first 2 years of the contract.]