November 19, 2019, 08:07:22 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Lions v Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 1181 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Lions v Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2019, 12:20:09 PM »
It seems many here are trying to spin the penalties as not favoring the Packers, but the Packers caught a huge break with a number of calls in the 4th quarter. The hands to the face calls were bad calls and probably changed the outcome of the game, but it happens and the results will forever show that the Packers defeated the Lions on 10/14/2019.

Bob Glauber

Verified account

@BobGlauber
Follow
Follow @BobGlauber

More
NFL VP of Operations Troy Vincent says at owners meetings that the second hands to the face penalty on Lions DL Trey Flowers in last night's game against the Packers shouldn't have been called. "After you review it, the foul wasn’t there."

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2019, 03:20:02 PM »
Whether the fouls meant the Lions lost the game is debatable. Because the Packers had a big fumble and a goal line interception that also turned the game, especially the int. Bottom line: the refs aren't perfect, and sometimes make mistakes. But unless you want every play reviewable with unlimited challenges for each team, you're going to have problems. That would probably make games longer than the average baseball doubleheader, but at least you'd have a better chance of having a game with few or no errors. And if anyone cares, K. Johnson didn't get the ball across the goal line on that TD. Stuff happens. If the Lions score TD's instead of FG's, they win the game going away.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2019, 04:07:24 PM »
 I didn't get to watch the game, was able to listen to most of it though, sounded pretty sloppy officiating wise both ways. Watched the replays of the illegal hands/ hands to the face and I can see why they were called. The 1st one you can see Bakhtiari's helmet being rung like a bell in the initial contact, the 2nd the hands were up in the neck area. On that goal line Shepherd pick return, I was horrified watching the replay to see the double blocks to the back on Elgton Jenkins, he could have really been hurt on that play, was more like blindside blocks almost.

I'm getting really impressed with how this team is adjusting and finding ways to win. After the loss of Adams, the moving pieces of the run game have really come together. This is looking like a juggernaut type of team that won't stop. The Philly loss even came down to the last play of the game. While Adams is out, the team is getting conditioned in other ways. When he comes back, look out NFL.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 04:09:54 PM by SET4YRS »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2019, 05:12:06 PM »
I actually like this idea:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-officiating-controversy-league-needs-to-implement-sky-judge-option-for-overturning-egregious-mistakes/

OK. So the "sky judge" (can we call this person "God"?  Because they'd be seen as all knowing, all seeing, all powerful, etc. And, apparently infallible) would stop play when they felt the refs on the field had missed a call. Another layer of bureaucracy, waiting to pounce and catch a wrong call in the moment. This would, not could, slow down the game. And the effect on officials would be disastrous. They'd constantly be looking over their shoulders, not sure whether to call something or no. Would "God" also be allowed to call "obvious, flagrant" (definition, please) non-calls? Besides, a very similar situation existed when the Packers were jobbed by the "Fail Mary", and NO on that non-call that started this entire discussion. Both received booth reviews, both were allowed to stand. So your best, score TD's instead of FG's and the problem solves itself. 

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2019, 08:56:51 AM »
Here is another vote for the sky judge:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/super-bowl-liii-referee-thinks-one-idea-could-fix-nfls-officiating-system-wants-league-to-embrace-it/

Rules changes don't always work out as planned. At this point, we not only are unsure what a "catch" is, we are now don't know what "interference" is. But put in a new rule, add another layer of officiating, and everything will be fine. Right. And remember, the "Fail Mary" ruling was reviewed in the booth and found to be correct. There will never be a game without error or controversy of some kind. It gives the losing fans and team something to latch onto, and gives the media more clicks, driving more revenue. As proven by the links you're providing from various news organizations.