October 15, 2019, 09:20:31 PM

Author Topic: Aaron Jones named the NFC offensive player of the week  (Read 374 times)

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
Aaron Jones named the NFC offensive player of the week
« on: October 11, 2019, 02:36:10 PM »
Also fined by the NFL

On Wednesday, the NFL announced that Packers running back Aaron Jones had been named the NFC offensive player of the week after scoring four touchdowns in a 34-24 win over the Cowboys.

Jones got a less celebratory message from the league this week as well. Jones said on Friday that he has been fined $10,527 for taunting.

The fine is related to Jones’s decision to wave goodbye to Cowboys cornerback Byron Jones on the way into the end zone on one of his touchdown runs.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Aaron Jones named the NFC offensive player of the week
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 06:52:05 PM »
As a first time offender, Jones is appealing the fine to get it reduced or thrown out.

SF running back waved at the Brownies on his long run this week. Wonder if he got a “bill” in the mail as well?

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 02:29:29 PM »
He played quite well against Dallas.

Deserves it.  Let us just hope he does not get hurt.

If Jones plays well, it takes the onus off of AR.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 09:59:17 PM »
As a first time offender, Jones is appealing the fine to get it reduced or thrown out.

SF running back waved at the Brownies on his long run this week. Wonder if he got a “bill” in the mail as well?

No, he didn't. Apparently, the league considered Jones taunting a Cowboy defender, while the SF RB was waving at a teammate. Whatever.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/12/matt-breida-not-fined-for-waving-goodbye-on-touchdown-run/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 06:06:34 AM »

No, he didn't. Apparently, the league considered Jones taunting a Cowboy defender, while the SF RB was waving at a teammate. Whatever.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/12/matt-breida-not-fined-for-waving-goodbye-on-touchdown-run/

Ah, the hypocrisy of the NFL.
And God so loved the Green Bay Packers, He reached forth his mighty hand and stamped his initial upon the sides of their helmets!--Lombardi 3-16

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 11:53:45 PM »
The NFL is getting ridiculous. Taunting is a pretty vague blanket to cast. What Jones did wasnt outrageous or full of malice. They are killing the game.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 02:47:34 AM »
The NFL is getting ridiculous. Taunting is a pretty vague blanket to cast. What Jones did wasn't outrageous or full of malice. They are killing the game.

When you meet with 'them', what you find is 'they' are us.

Personally though, I wouldn't have called that a fine and it wouldn't have bothered me much if an opposing player had done that to our offense. For the defense, the best way to stop the wave is to stop the play. I actually find the 'group photo' prearranged celebration worse than a quick waggle of the fingers....... and that doesn't get called because it isn't viewed as taunting.

What is needed is whoever makes the call on this stuff to 1) Have some sense of humour, 2) make things proportionate, 3) ideally, they have also been a player. Far worse is done in almost every game with the verbal comments made by each side to the other, these are taunts which are pretty much never called, so the difference IS THAT THE PUBLIC (especially the TV audience) CAN SEE THE GESTURE but don't hear the verbals. That is not a good basis for determining fines.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 06:09:36 AM »
He played quite well against Dallas.

Deserves it.  Let us just hope he does not get hurt.

If Jones plays well, it takes the onus off of AR.

Agree, Need to see some consistency from Jones and the running game.  I dont expect 4 tds every week, but if you are going to lean on your running game it needs to shine.   Jones had shown what he can do, lets hope we see more consistency there.

I got no issue with the taunting fine.  Clearly, it was taunting.  Its exactly what the NFL is targeting.  I'll be surprised if the fine is reduced.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 06:33:15 AM by The GM »

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 06:16:49 AM »
The thing is be equal across the board. If you fine one, fine all.
And God so loved the Green Bay Packers, He reached forth his mighty hand and stamped his initial upon the sides of their helmets!--Lombardi 3-16

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 06:34:00 AM »
is stacking the box something we will see until Adams is back?

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 07:12:21 AM »
is stacking the box something we will see until Adams is back?

You'll likely see that until the Packer WRs make them change.  Jimmy Graham needs to play well.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 08:27:44 AM »
I’d go heavy on the 12 and 22 personnel packages and utilize RPO based on what the defense is showing.

Time for both Graham and Lewis to step up, and Vitale to have more targets in the passing game.

This week will reveal how good MLF is at adapting his offensive game plan to the personnel at his disposal.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 01:37:52 PM »
This might be a week to intentionally target several plays with Shepherd as primary target.  He's seemed to be pretty good at actually getting open, and the defense can't possibly have prioritized him.  But to date he's always about 4th option.  Would really help if you used him and he turned out to be effective, and at least for tonight if the defense was totally unprepared for him. 

Just wishful thinking, presumably.  But with Adams out, I think looking to somebody other than just MVS to catch passes could really open up the offense. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 02:19:22 PM »
I’d go heavy on the 12 and 22 personnel packages and utilize RPO based on what the defense is showing.

Time for both Graham and Lewis to step up, and Vitale to have more targets in the passing game.

This week will reveal how good MLF is at adapting his offensive game plan to the personnel at his disposal.

Packers bring up TE Baylis from the PS, again. Could be sign that 12 & 22 personnel might be in the works for tonight.

DET brought up a big NT from their PS, who is supposed tough against the inside run.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 02:25:37 PM »
This might be a week to intentionally target several plays with Shepherd as primary target.  He's seemed to be pretty good at actually getting open, and the defense can't possibly have prioritized him.  But to date he's always about 4th option.  Would really help if you used him and he turned out to be effective, and at least for tonight if the defense was totally unprepared for him. 

Just wishful thinking, presumably.  But with Adams out, I think looking to somebody other than just MVS to catch passes could really open up the offense.
Agree Craig, I think you will see an increased role with Shepherd as the season goes on. How fast they go involving him may take some time, but I believe his targets will increase in the coming weeks.