November 30, 2020, 12:56:46 PM

Author Topic: The Blake Martinez Decision  (Read 644 times)

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
The Blake Martinez Decision
« on: February 09, 2020, 11:09:32 AM »
Like most Im not a huge fan of Blake Martinez but his pending FA has to raise some questions.  What Gute decides to do it certainly up to him, and its not a easy road to navigate.

I get the complaints about Martinez, and agree with most of them, too slow, a nightmare in pass coverage, but here's the issue coming up

If Martinez leaves, you need to get a ILB in free agency. Littleton will cost a fortune,  Perhaps Kwiatkowski (Chi)is that guy.  if you get him, GREAT, it gives you some flexibility in the draft, but if you dont you must go ILB early in the draft IMO.  What if Murray and Queen are gone by 30 or they don't fit at what the Packers are doing.   What are you going to do with the gaping hole at the ILB spots next year?

I know many here want Martinez gone by yesterday, but he is a leading NFL tackler, I'm not saying they should/shouldn't sign him, just pointing out the road ahead.  Im sure Gute has this covered but it will be interesting to see his approach

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: The Blake Martinez Decision
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 04:34:07 PM »
If you have two solid ILBs on the field (and in 2019 the Packers only had one), then it is much easier to split them so neither has to cover half the field to get to an outside run. The Packers only had Martinez they could rely on in 2019 so mostly he was the sole guy.

If the Packers can secure Martinez for, say $8m pa, that's doable, and you would also draft an ILB in the 3rd or 4th to get a decent pair that can see the field together. Much more than that and it's easier draft as before (someone whose speciality is coverage, like Appalachian State's Akeem Davis-Gaither) and pair that draft pick with a vet FA like Kwiatkoski.

The third option is to spend big, like say $14m for Littleton who would be the much-needed coverage guy. and pair him with a thumper type like Quaterman/Strnad/Barry in round 4/5 of the draft.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 04:44:26 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 07:35:21 PM »
Posted by: OneTwoSixFive
« on: Today at 04:34:07 PM »
If the Packers can secure Martinez for, say $8m pa, that's doable

That price for Martinez is likely just a pipe dream.
Spotrac's estimated market value of Martinez is much higher.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/blake-martinez-19085/market-value/

And, even if they are high on their estimate, he's likely still too high for what the Packers are willing to pay.

Maybe Patrick Onwausor would be a better bet. But, I think BALT has more than enough resources to resign him.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/patrick-onwuasor-19649/market-value/

That's why I'm in the Nick Kwiatkoski camp. He will likely be near that $8M range that you a re hoping for Martinez.
(Spotrac hasn't posted an estimated market value for him yet)

Offline bmaafi

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 01:15:22 AM »

If the Packers can secure Martinez for, say $8m pa, that's doable, and you would also draft an ILB in the 3rd or 4th to get a decent pair that can see the field together. Much more than that and it's easier draft as before (someone whose speciality is coverage, like Appalachian State's Akeem Davis-Gaither) and pair that draft pick with a vet FA like Kwiatkoski.

The third option is to spend big, like say $14m for Littleton who would be the much-needed coverage guy. and pair him with a thumper type like Quaterman/Strnad/Barry in round 4/5 of the draft.

Martinez will probably get at least 10 on the open market and I don't think guteys feels he's worth that much. Davis-Gaither is looking like a late 1st to probably mid second. These athletic LB/safety's are important now with the passing game being so important. He has the frame for more weight (he's 220 ish) but he's super athletic for a LB. Strnad a thumper? Are you sure? Or do you mean someone else? He's not a thumper at all. He's an athletic sideline to sideline type ILB. He's maybe not as athletic as Murray or Queen but he's close. He's just not rated high right now because he missed a good chunk of his senior year with an injury. I think if he shows well at the combine and his medicals check out, you will see him go higher than people are projecting right now.

https://youtu.be/XChx10J-d40
Granted these are highlights but it's just hard to find much film on him from 2019 and there isn't much from 2018 either, but you can see the athletism, especially on the forced fumbles on the WR. There was some game film from 19 on YouTube but I can't find it anymore, must have gotten taken down.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 01:19:55 AM by bmaafi »

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 03:33:33 AM »
Danno, you are missing my point about Martinez. I don't expect for ONE SECOND he will sign with the Packers for $8m. What I am saying is that to the Packers, there is a limit to his value. I expect the offseason will see his departure and the acquisition of some combo of a cheaper vet option (like Kwiatkoski) plus an ILB draft pick, probably in rounds 3 or 4. It is also possible for them to invest in one close-to-premium vet pick (Littleton) and a draft pick.

Either the vet or the draft pick should be a coverage guy, while the other should be more of a run stopper (though faster is still better).

« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 03:36:36 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"