November 30, 2020, 12:43:01 PM

Author Topic: 2020 free agency / beyond GB FA's  (Read 5701 times)

Online dannobanano

• HOF Member
2020 free agency / beyond GB FA's
« on: October 12, 2019, 09:34:00 AM »
What position(s) should Gute consider using FA to fill in gaps on this team going forward?

I think It's clear that TE will be a position that gets addressed, and I think it will be FA rather than draft (again).

Packers lack a Combo TE (can both block and receive) that is essential to MLF's offense being able to do all that he wants it to do.
My guess is that both Jimmy Graham and Marcedes Lewis will both be gone in 2020. That leaves Tonyan, Sternberger, and PS guys Baylis and Wolf. None of these four players is a Combo TE.

Sadly, there really isn't a great Combo TE prospect in the draft this year either (2019 was the year for that). So it may fall to looking to FA as a way of addressing this.

But who? I don't want another "aging" veteran, like they've been doing. Someone under 30 yrs old, please!

Hunter Henry? (injury risk)
Nick O'Leary?
Austin Hooper?
Levine Toilolo?
Maxx Williams?
Nick Vannett?

Could any of these players provide what MLF needs at TE to allow him to be as multiple as he desires from the same formations/personnel packages?

It may be possible that RB becomes a target in FA as well. The Packers need another RB they can utilize much on the same way they use Aaron Jones. As much as I like AJ, I think it is reckless to hang a "bell cow" label on him. There needs to be another RB that can spell him during games so they can have two RB's that remain fairly fresh all game/all season. Jamaal Williams is not an AJ, but he has value in other capacities. Dexter Williams is still a major question mark that may never get answered.

They could go draft here, but it may take a pick in the first 3 rounds to get the kind of quality/type player they may be looking for. Would they rather go FA and save that draft capital for another position?

What RB's might make sense (age wise/skill set), if they go the FA route?

Kenyon Drake?
Peyton Barber?
Jalen Richard?
CJ Prosise?
Dwayne Wahington?

Who's the best fit to run side by side with AJ, and also give the Packers some "cover" when Jones hits UFA in 2021?

I get the feeling we will see WR, OL (T/G), ILB, QB become the most talked about early draft priorities as they move into the off season in 2020. It will be interesting to see how this will all develop.

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
Re: 2020 free agency / beyond GB FA's
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 10:18:54 AM »
All for trying to go after Amari Cooper.  Only 25 years old.  Will become in all likelihood a UFA.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 11:37:37 AM »
What position(s) should Gute consider using FA to fill in gaps on this team going forward?

I think It's clear that TE will be a position that gets addressed, and I think it will be FA rather than draft (again).

Packers lack a Combo TE (can both block and receive) that is essential to MLF's offense being able to do all that he wants it to do.
My guess is that both Jimmy Graham and Marcedes Lewis will both be gone in 2020. That leaves Tonyan, Sternberger, and PS guys Baylis and Wolf. None of these four players is a Combo TE.

Sadly, there really isn't a great Combo TE prospect in the draft this year either (2019 was the year for that). So it may fall to looking to FA as a way of addressing this.

Levine Toilolo?
Maxx Williams?
Nick Vannett?

Could any of these players provide what MLF needs at TE to allow him to be as multiple as he desires from the same formations/personnel packages?

Posted this in another thread. How about Eric Ebron? Big, young, versatile, and has shown he can really play. He's going to be an UFA, Colts have no interest, and he probably wouldn't break the bank. Suddenly, the Packers have two young TE's (remember Sternberger has effectively had a red shirt season), and a position of age could become a position of youthful production. That would be up to MLF. Here's a summary of Ebron from Rotoworld:

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/8330/eric-ebron
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 12:26:21 PM »
Why have the Colts "no interest"?
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 03:43:31 PM »

He got hurt, then effectively claimed he was suffering too much pain to continue the season, so they put him on IR. This was more likely a business decision, that Ebron didn't want to risk aggravating the injury before being able to explore FA. Here is the article from PFT:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/02/colts-dont-want-eric-ebron-back/

Some might see this as a replay of the Gabe Wilkens debacle from the Bronco SB. I see it more as a top college prospect not playing in a meaningless bowl game- but with even less reason to risk an injury in a lost year. Not completely risk free, but this is true of any FA signing.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 05:44:27 PM »

He got hurt, then effectively claimed he was suffering too much pain to continue the season, so they put him on IR. This was more likely a business decision, that Ebron didn't want to risk aggravating the injury before being able to explore FA. Here is the article from PFT:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/02/colts-dont-want-eric-ebron-back/

Some might see this as a replay of the Gabe Wilkens debacle from the Bronco SB. I see it more as a top college prospect not playing in a meaningless bowl game- but with even less reason to risk an injury in a lost year. Not completely risk free, but this is true of any FA signing.

Not completely on board with Ebron but....
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 02:12:13 AM »

But who? I don't want another "aging" veteran, like they've been doing. Someone under 30 yrs old, please!

Hunter Henry? (injury risk)
Nick O'Leary?
Austin Hooper?
Levine Toilolo?
Maxx Williams?
Nick Vannett?

It may be possible that RB becomes a target in FA as well. The Packers need another RB they can utilize much on the same way they use Aaron Jones. As much as I like AJ, I think it is reckless to hang a "bell cow" label on him. There needs to be another RB that can spell him during games so they can have two RB's that remain fairly fresh all game/all season. Jamaal Williams is not an AJ, but he has value in other capacities. Dexter Williams is still a major question mark that may never get answered.

They could go draft here, but it may take a pick in the first 3 rounds to get the kind of quality/type player they may be looking for. Would they rather go FA and save that draft capital for another position?

What RB's might make sense (age wise/skill set), if they go the FA route?

Kenyon Drake?
Peyton Barber?
Jalen Richard?
CJ Prosise?
Dwayne Wahington?

Who's the best fit to run side by side with AJ, and also give the Packers some "cover" when Jones hits UFA in 2021?

I get the feeling we will see WR, OL (T/G), ILB, QB become the most talked about early draft priorities as they move into the off season in 2020. It will be interesting to see how this will all develop.

Of the folks you mentioned, I like Hooper and Drake the best. I always seem to see them making plays when they are on local stations.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 08:04:04 AM »
I'm changing my tune on TE and RB in free agency. Not sure I see either position as a target anymore, unless the "value" is just too good to pass on.

Certainly not a fan of Ebron.

Does Jimmy Graham stay? Gute is talking in the affirmative side of this topic at the moment. Smoke screen? Maybe, but will have to wait/see.

Marcedes Lewis? By all accounts he had a good year, especially in helping unlock AJ in the running game, and says he feels good and wants to come back for one more go around. If his blocking skills don't diminish, he would be an asset, and at a fraction of the Jimmy-G cost.

Other TE's already under contract:
Jace Sternberger - I think we began to see him emerging during the playoffs. Remember, this kid got knocked out of TC by a cheap shot in shared practice with HOU. Then comes back and wrecks his ankle, goes on IR, comes off IR later in season. So it was pretty much a wash for him but what we saw got me excited. He could be a significant factor in 2020, and could be the reason that JG doesn't come back.
Robert Tonyan - ERFA. He's not going anywhere, but still needs to prove he can be part of the long term plan on offense.
Evan Baylis - At 6-5/250 he looks the part. They have certainly felt comfy in keeping him around. I think he has combo-TE qualities that need time to shine.
James Looney - DE who has converted to TE. Not sure is he has any receiving skills at all but, at 6-3/287, if he shows any competence for blocking, he's going to move people with his size/strength. At least he gets a chance to prove himself in TC this next year.

What GB really needs is a receiving threat at TE that puts pressure on defenses in the middle of the field and takes pressure off the Packer WR's on the boundaries.

I'm feeling that the draft may be the best way to address this need for the longer term as they move forward.

I would apply the same logic to RB, especially after AJ made it through the whole season without missing a game due to injury. I believe that GB still needs a rushing colleague to spell AJ, and while I like J-Williams, he not dynamic enough to threaten defenses in the same way that AJ can. Adding another RB in the draft with better skills/qualities than J-Williams should be a serious consideration, especially with so many question marks surrounding Dexter Williams.

My feeling, as of the moment, is that FA should be dedicated to shoring up 3 positions. ILB, 5-tech DE, and slot WR, with putting the bigger money into ILB and DE.

My suggestions here would be:
ILB - Nick Kwiatkoski (CHI)
DE - Vernon Butler (CAR)

I haven't settled on a Slot-WR, but if INDY does not tender RFA Marcus Johnson, I'd be interested in him.

As far as drafting a TE and a RB:
TE - Hunter Bradley/Washington (a true "Flex" TE who will threaten all 3 levels of the defense)
RB - Patrick Taylor, JR/Memphis (Missed almost all of last year with an ankle injury, but in 2018, and paired with Darrell Henderson, Taylor rushed for 1122 yds and 16 TD's. One TD every 13 times he touched the ball. He also added 2 TD's on pass receptions.)

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 10:53:29 AM »
I'm changing my tune on TE and RB in free agency. Not sure I see either position as a target anymore, unless the "value" is just too good to pass on.

Does Jimmy Graham stay? Gute is talking in the affirmative side of this topic at the moment. Smoke screen? Maybe, but will have to wait/see.

Marcedes Lewis? By all accounts he had a good year, especially in helping unlock AJ in the running game, and says he feels good and wants to come back for one more go around. If his blocking skills don't diminish, he would be an asset, and at a fraction of the Jimmy-G cost.

Jace Sternberger - I think we began to see him emerging during the playoffs. Remember, this kid got knocked out of TC by a cheap shot in shared practice with HOU. Then comes back and wrecks his ankle, goes on IR, comes off IR later in season. So it was pretty much a wash for him but what we saw got me excited. He could be a significant factor in 2020, and could be the reason that JG doesn't come back.
Robert Tonyan - ERFA. He's not going anywhere, but still needs to prove he can be part of the long term plan on offense.
Evan Baylis - At 6-5/250 he looks the part. They have certainly felt comfy in keeping him around. I think he has combo-TE qualities that need time to shine.
James Looney - DE who has converted to TE. Not sure is he has any receiving skills at all but, at 6-3/287, if he shows any competence for blocking, he's going to move people with his size/strength. At least he gets a chance to prove himself in TC this next year.

What GB really needs is a receiving threat at TE that puts pressure on defenses in the middle of the field and takes pressure off the Packer WR's on the boundaries.

I'm feeling that the draft may be the best way to address this need for the longer term as they move forward.

I would apply the same logic to RB, especially after AJ made it through the whole season without missing a game due to injury. I believe that GB still needs a rushing colleague to spell AJ, and while I like J-Williams, he not dynamic enough to threaten defenses in the same way that AJ can. Adding another RB in the draft with better skills/qualities than J-Williams should be a serious consideration, especially with so many question marks surrounding Dexter Williams.

My feeling, as of the moment, is that FA should be dedicated to shoring up 3 positions. ILB, 5-tech DE, and slot WR, with putting the bigger money into ILB and DE.

DE - Vernon Butler (CAR)

I haven't settled on a Slot-WR, but if INDY does not tender RFA Marcus Johnson, I'd be interested in him.

TE - Hunter Bradley/Washington (a true "Flex" TE who will threaten all 3 levels of the defense)
RB - Patrick Taylor, JR/Memphis (Missed almost all of last year with an ankle injury, but in 2018, and paired with Darrell Henderson, Taylor rushed for 1122 yds and 16 TD's. One TD every 13 times he touched the ball. He also added 2 TD's on pass receptions.)

Agree with much of this.  I think you need to bring back Lewis as a legit blocking TE, and give Sternberger a shot at the TE position. For me Graham would have to be significantly reduced to return.
The TE at UWash is Hunter Bryant, absolutely love him, but I think well have bigger fish to fry.  We need ILB,s WRs, DTs.  Bryant will be a matchup problem for many defenses.  Hes a great YAC guy who can get a ball in the seam and go.  I dont think he makes it to our 2nd round pick, but hes had some knee issues in his career that could make him slip a little.  A definite impact player.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 02:59:17 PM »

DE - Vernon Butler (CAR)

If you want to address TE during the draft the position is going to be just as much a debacle as our DB position was for years. We have 5 on the team, drafting another one means someone has to to go, at least one. And then you've got 4 players with 2 years or less under their belt (think tonyan was only in his second year.) Throwing picks at a problem until one sticks is an easy way to get yourself weak at other positions. Just look at our team now after years of poor DB dart throwing.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 09:59:08 AM »
They haven't had much luck addressing it in free agency either. And the down side to that is the cap money it has cost as opposed to a draft pick(s).

I think Sternberger, Tonyan, and Baylis have potential. Lewis adds veteran experience and stability (on and off the field). Adding a smart draft pick makes sense to me. But that's JMHO.

Online dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 04:21:33 PM »
I guess there are others who think Nick Kwiatkoski (CHI) would make sense as an ILB target in free agency.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/03/lb-nick-kwiatkoski-wr-breshad-perriman-make-sense-as-fa-targets-for-packers/

I haven't been a fan of Perriman in the past, buuuut, if he's cured the dropsies and the "light has come on" for him, you have to be intriqued with legit 4.3 speed.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 07:50:34 PM »
They haven't had much luck addressing it in free agency either. And the down side to that is the cap money it has cost as opposed to a draft pick(s).

I think Sternberger, Tonyan, and Baylis have potential. Lewis adds veteran experience and stability (on and off the field). Adding a smart draft pick makes sense to me. But that's JMHO.

It seemed that Sternberger showed potential to be that combo pass catcher/blocker when he got on the field. The Packers know better than we do, but if he does have those abilities, that is another box checked for the Packers, and, in spite of what MLF is presently hinting at, Graham will be a cap casualty. Because the team can use that cap space elsewhere, more than propping up a guy who has lost a few steps and can't block.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 11:23:30 AM »
I think two guys Green Bay should really look at are Robbie Anderson WR NYJ, and Michael Pierce IDL BAL. Neither would break the bank, and they provide needs at what should be great value. This allows the Packers to possibly move up to grab Murray as a Martinez replacement in the draft. They should also have some good choices left at other positions of need in the mid rounds.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 03:41:43 PM »
I think two guys Green Bay should really look at are Robbie Anderson WR NYJ, and Michael Pierce IDL BAL. Neither would break the bank, and they provide needs at what should be great value. This allows the Packers to possibly move up to grab Murray as a Martinez replacement in the draft. They should also have some good choices left at other positions of need in the mid rounds.

I think Anderson is going to get overpaid by someone.  I think Gute will get involved if Anderson hits the market, but wont go overboard on him.