November 12, 2019, 03:22:59 AM

Author Topic: lessons learned - Detroit game  (Read 985 times)

Online packlaw

• Starter
lessons learned - Detroit game
« on: October 15, 2019, 09:28:36 AM »
I know exactly how Lion's fans feel.  As a Packer fan, it has happened to us all too often.  Remember Mathews "roughing the passers" last year or the Seattle call in the end zone.  Maybe, it all evens out over time.  In any event, a win is a win.  As in any game, we learn something good or bad about our team.  After Adams, our wide receivers are less than stellar.  There is no true #2 or a good slot receiver.  The receivers still can't or won't come back when Rogers has to scramble and for some reason, they can't get open quickly.  Our receiving corps is our Achilles heel on offense.  You can see the frustration on Rogers' face.  Thankfully, Lazard replaced Shephard.  Hopefully, the receivers will improve as there is no one out there any better.  The running game is currently a brother in law team...last week Jones and this week Williams...we can hope one of these weeks, they gel together.  The defense is the proverbial, bend and not break.  Holding the Lion's to field goals when they were in the red zone of 5 out of six times was outstanding.  I think the defense has still not reached its full potential.  This week we eked out a win which is a whole lot better than barely losing.  We need the receiving corp to step up and more importantly we need Adams back.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: lessons learned - Detroit game
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 09:50:52 AM »
Rodgers wasn't the only person upset with the WR's inability to catch the ball. AR's accuracy was terrific- and let's give the OL major props for keeping the Lions DL a non-factor. But the dropped balls, the bobbling- it was inexcusable. Notice that the defense stepped up big time against the run. However, they are still susceptible to big passing plays. And the Lions' use of the hurry up offense caught the defense unawares at least twice. The return of J. Williams was really big. He's that guy who just does those little things that boost the team: a key block, a catch for a first down in a tight situation, getting those tough yards on third and short. And his stopping short of the goal line to keep the clock running was just really head's up, situational awareness football.

Did anyone else notice that after the Shepard fumble on the punt, the Packers left him kept on using him to return kickoffs? And that the Lions deliberately (I believe) kicked the ball short so he would have a chance to return the ball, and the Lions would have a chance at getting him to fumble again. Meanwhile, on the Williams long run, when he was about to get hit, he wrapped both arms around the ball before contact, making a fumble much less likely. It's the small things that can add up.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 10:15:23 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 10:32:52 AM »
I know exactly how Lion's fans feel.  As a Packer fan, it has happened to us all too often.  Remember Mathews "roughing the passers" last year or the Seattle call in the end zone.  Maybe, it all evens out over time.  In any event, a win is a win.  As in any game, we learn something good or bad about our team.  After Adams, our wide receivers are less than stellar.  There is no true #2 or a good slot receiver.  The receivers still can't or won't come back when Rogers has to scramble and for some reason, they can't get open quickly.  Our receiving corps is our Achilles heel on offense.  You can see the frustration on Rogers' face.  Thankfully, Lazard replaced Shephard.  Hopefully, the receivers will improve as there is no one out there any better.  The running game is currently a brother in law team...last week Jones and this week Williams...we can hope one of these weeks, they gel together.  The defense is the proverbial, bend and not break.  Holding the Lion's to field goals when they were in the red zone of 5 out of six times was outstanding.  I think the defense has still not reached its full potential.  This week we eked out a win which is a whole lot better than barely losing.  We need the receiving corp to step up and more importantly we need Adams back.

Actually they held the Lions six of six times. That was no touchdown. IMHO. twocents)
And God so loved the Green Bay Packers, He reached forth his mighty hand and stamped his initial upon the sides of their helmets!--Lombardi 3-16

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 10:35:06 AM »
Me thinks that Gutey will be rebuilding the WR/TE corps this next offseason.

I'm willing to give MVS a little leeway as he is only in his second season, but has shown BIG flashes. I'd like to think he could be an ideal 3rd receiver with a 2nd Receiver type of ceiling.

Allison is a 4th WR. Nothing more.

I'd like to see more of Kumerow and Lazard. Especially after Lazard's big 4th quarter.

Shepherd had a REALLY bad game. It happens. They have actively tried to get him involved in games as they must see something in practice. Keep in mind, that there were A LOT of people wanting to get rid of Adams after he played through a leg injury in his second season.

At Tight End, you have to hope that Tonyan/Sternberger can be a 2nd or 3rd TE or possibly one of them can develop into a starter. I like that they're getting Lewis involved and hope that they keep increasing his role. At this point, Graham is good for a couple of tough catches every other game, but not much else.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 10:38:01 AM »
Does Lazard develop into a legit WR, or was last night a Jeff Janis game?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 12:44:44 PM »
Things we learned,

1.) The Packers have had a very fun and lucky start to the 2019 season and as a fan it has been a joy to watch up to this point. The most interesting thing for me is to see how long they can keep it going.

2.) Their is nothing left in the Jimmy Graham gas tank.

3.) It is probably unknown to most, but the Packers run defense is a different animal with Montravius Adams in the lineup.

4.) David Bakhtiari is not the same player he was in past seasons and the skill decline is in its early stages. There will not be another Packers contract in his future.

5.) Kevin King is not a good CB when he can not use the sideline for his help.

6.) I believe their is about a 1% chance of it happening, but I would love to see the Packers re-sign Fackrell. The guy does soo many of the little things to help the team be successful.

7.) My feelings of doubt that Darrius Shepherd is an NFL player are even stronger today then yesterday and they were fairly strong yesterday. 

Offline lozmel

• Rookie
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 12:53:40 PM »
They should go back to  Jared Cook.  It was a bonehead move not to resign him.

Offline packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 01:25:30 PM »

One thing that Lazard has going for him is Rodgers actually likes him, wants him in the game, and will throw to him. Janis never seemed to have those luxuries.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 01:28:32 PM »

If you can answer that correctly today, then I want you to go pick up a lottery ticket for me (I'll send money)!

I think what Lazard did should give us hope, with a dash of "let's be realistic", as to what Lazard's future will be.

Only time can answer that question, but I read that Rodgers went to the WR coach and specifically asked him to put Lazard in the lineup for the 4th quarter.

So, we should ask ourselves, ………………………"What does AR see in Lazard that no one else is seeing?"

Right now, I'd put Lazard ahead of Allison as the #3 WR. Allison has way more experience and shouldn't be dropping passes at the rate he is.

I'll give Shepherd an incomplete for last night since he's a rookie and made rookie mistakes. The botched punt would have not happened if he had signaled for a fair catch. That is a teachable moment.
And the INT was a fluke. He slipped on a slippery field, like many were doing. Just a bad break and not his fault.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 01:33:23 PM by dannobanano »

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 01:53:55 PM »
... I read that Rodgers went to the WR coach and specifically asked him to put Lazard in the lineup for the 4th quarter.  So, we should ask ourselves, ………………………"What does AR see in Lazard that no one else is seeing?"......

With Adams, ESB, Allison, Tonyan and Sternberger all out, were the only 5 WR/TE left MVS, Shepherd, Lazard, Graham, and Lewis? 

I wonder if the only "no one else is seeing" thing was that Lazard wasn't Shepherd? 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 03:12:49 PM »

Lazard might be more the second coming of Jarrett Boykin. He played very well for (I believe) two years, then fell off a cliff. Then again, he might become a decent slot receiver or outplay MVS. Who knows? But fun to speculate.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 03:43:16 PM »
... I read that Rodgers went to the WR coach and specifically asked him to put Lazard in the lineup for the 4th quarter.  So, we should ask ourselves, ………………………"What does AR see in Lazard that no one else is seeing?"......

With Adams, ESB, Allison, Tonyan and Sternberger all out, were the only 5 WR/TE left MVS, Shepherd, Lazard, Graham, and Lewis? 

I wonder if the only "no one else is seeing" thing was that Lazard wasn't Shepherd?

I'm not sure if Rodgers request was from pure belief in Lazard, or frustration that his receivers were taking turns dropping balls.  Im know Rodgers commented after the game about Lazard, lets hope he continues to contribute.   My confidence in Allison is dropping like a football thrown to him.

Offline Pack Man

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 03:52:26 PM »
Shakes Head,

Everyone's screaming Adjustment's.

I see two things could happen

1. Green Bay will be hit this coming week with an over amount of flags!
2. The 4th. qrt will become, No Hold's Bard flag free !!!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 03:54:48 PM by Pack Man »

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
......Vince Lombardi

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 05:12:52 PM »
I'm agreeing with danno about it being much too early to write Shepherd off. He was impressive enough in camp to beat out a 4th round WR and could be a future player in the slot. Just like almost all young receivers, he needs time to see if he can live at the NFL level.

As for Lazard, well, he's slower than ESB and even moreso compared to MVS (runs a 4.55 40), but he does look fast on the field. He is another really big dude with a solid 227lb body that can really jump. His hands are decent, he can box out defenders and he showed good concentration to pull in a couple of tricky balls in traffic.

The Packers are very lucky to have obtained THREE guys with such size and speed. Maybe they don't all pan out, but with the investment of a 5th, 6th and undrafted fa, if even one of these guys pans out as either a no.2 or a slot receiver, they will have done very well. I'm starting to think that the Packers front office is getting as good at later round WRs as they have been at later O line picks. I also think the early returns on Gute's picks is impressive. It will need another couple of seasons to confirm that, because I remember ex Packer and current Seahawks GM John Schneider got off to a flying start and then faltering a bit at Seattle.

As for Bakhtiari, I agree he hasn't been as good this year. Whether that is down to some injury or something else, I don't know. He hasn't been bad this season, just not the D.Bakh who we knew as the best pass protector in the league, bar none.

PS How good was it to see Jamaal Williams back again this game. Aaron Jones had a sub-par game (for him), but JW was golden and covered things beautifully. He is well loved in the locker room and brings a joy and energy to the offense. Even though it wouldn't hurt to get another RB in the next draft (it's a good year to get one), the two guys we have are doing just fine.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 09:59:55 PM »

3.) It is probably unknown to most, but the Packers run defense is a different animal with Montravius Adams in the lineup.

Welcome to the club that was started after the loss to Philly. Apparently, mid-round picks can, indeed, make a difference.