November 12, 2019, 02:49:19 AM

Author Topic: Rodgers MVP candidate?  (Read 415 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Rodgers MVP candidate?
« on: October 15, 2019, 10:12:33 AM »
This came from PFT, sometimes known as "Vikings Central" for it's purple bias. But this article does point out something that has been rattling around in my head for a while (lots of room up there!). Rodgers is playing really, really well this season. His numbers aren't spectacular, but his accuracy, leadership and ability to take what the other team offers are startling turnarounds from last year, in particular. Add in his ability to scramble for significant yards when pressured, and you have a guy who is leading a team with some serious post season aspirations. Yes, it's early, and there is a lot of football to play. But while other teams are finding ways to lose, the Packers continue to find ways to win. And their undisputed offensive leader is Rodgers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/15/aaron-rodgers-mvp-candidate/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Rodgers MVP candidate?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 01:14:44 PM »
Right now, I think AR just wants to win and doesn't give two hoots about MVP.

Maybe around week 13-14 they can revisit this subject, but for right now...…………………"Just Win Baby!"

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 02:21:59 PM »
I wouldnt consider him a strong contender at this point, but I could see him in the conversation.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 03:06:57 PM »
Right now, I think AR just wants to win and doesn't give two hoots about MVP.

Maybe around week 13-14 they can revisit this subject, but for right now...…………………"Just Win Baby!"

I agree that Rodgers probably doesn't worry about being MVP. But as far as being too early- too early to talk about AR's play this year, but not too soon to talk about next year's draft?  crazy)
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 02:25:31 PM »
I wouldnt consider him a strong contender at this point, but I could see him in the conversation.

Objectively speaking, yes he's definitely a top candidate. There's only a handful that are worth mentioning and all of them are QBs: Wilson, Rodgers, Mahomes (injured), Brady, and Watson. Conveniently enough that's the order I'd put them in right now. Mahomes would be the top pick but he will miss multiple weeks with his injury. Wilson is playing at an elite level and carrying a very mediocre team, while Rodgers is clearly playing well but not as well as Wilson IMO and also has a better team. Still a lot of football to be played and after this Oakland game if Rodgers stays hot he'll take home some personal hardware. Except we all know the only hardware he's interested in is the Lombardi, so I kind of expect him to not have a stat heavy (MVP) season.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 02:44:53 PM »
McCaffrey will get votes too.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 02:45:25 PM »
For me it is to early to get on the MVP rollercoaster, but it was fun watching the QB deal out his Packers City Lightning to his button men today.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 03:01:41 PM »
McCaffrey will get votes too.

Maybe a few, but RBs don't win the MVP unless they have a historic season and he's not even close to on pace for one. The last 3 RBs to win it have been Peterson, Tomlinson, and Shaun Alexander. So just for perspective it takes 2000+ rushings yards with 10+ TDs or 1800+ rushing yards with 27+ TDs to win the MVP as a RB. Looking back at Peterson's 2012 season, he definitely had competition for his award while Tomlinson and Alexander were head and shoulders above everyone else. So just to make myself feel better about those games he had against Green Bay, Tomlinson and Alexander had better days against other teams and overall better MVP seasons.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 03:03:25 PM by claymaker »

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 02:55:19 AM »
If the Pack make it to the conference championships we can talk MVP. How often does a guy win MVP if they don't make the final four? The award isnt actually about the most valuable player, it's about the hottest player on the end-of-year contenders.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."