November 19, 2019, 09:02:01 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Raiders v Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 1205 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Raiders v Packers Game Day Thread
« on: October 17, 2019, 11:54:54 AM »
This is the second game this year that makes me very nervous. The first was Philly. This one just seems to scream "TRAP GAME". Why? Two emotional wins- one against Dallas in their house, then the literally last second win against the Lions. A lot of drama to deal with, and a tough game on a short week to face another team (like Philly) that is desperate to show they are for real. The thing that gives me hope is that this year's Packers seem to be a team that finds a way to win. What is more worrisome is that the Lions exposed the defense as being vulnerable to a faster paced, "hurry up" offense. That, and with all the brouhaha over the Lions losing the game because of some bad calls (they're still  deadhorse on sports talk radio today!) means that Bakhtiari in particular is going to have to be decapitated to get a call against Oakland. Color me worried.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 12:17:05 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Raiders Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 12:20:43 PM »
The Raiders beat Denver Chicago and Indy. I don't see the Packers going in with a casual trap-game mentality.

If the Packers had played Oakland in the first three games, I could see them possibly taking the Raiders less seriously, but not a 3-2 team.

As for Bakhtiari, Flowers did some neck stuff on him earlier in the game, which caused him to talk to the refs, who then called some ticky-tack stuff. If the refs just call an ordinary game it will be enough.

The Packers will likely have problems with their receiving corps, since you cannot replace Adams and the dropoff after him is huge - LaFleur will have to manage what he still has as best he can. I'm hoping most catchable catches ARE caught on Sunday, but my hope may or may not be realised. I'm looking for the defense to play well and (another hope) that Kenny Clark plays under 60 snaps (ideally under 55, but that isn't so likely). I don't want to see him worn out in the latter part of the season and (hopefully) postseason.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Raiders v Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 04:31:37 PM »
This will be a good game to see LaFleur's ability to adapt.  Going in without Adams, maybe Geronimo or MVS will be a challenge.  All we need is Hundley to take us back to the 2017 season.  Looking forward to seeing what MLF comes up with.  He can score some major coaching points if he can pull this off with a depleted squad. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 04:34:34 PM by The GM »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 07:58:06 AM »
Interesting that the Packers signed Grant and Crockett (let go from the Raiders PS last week) the week of the Raiders game. With Trevor Davis and Deshone Kizer both having been in the Packers camp and learned the Packers offense, I'm guessing their will be some cat and mouse games being played on both sidelines.

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 11:09:34 AM »
Would really like to see both Aaron  Jones and Jamal Williams in the backfield at the same time.  Would add a lot of versatility too the playcalling with a less then stellar WR unit.

Offline Premontre1969

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 02:29:56 AM »
 I think Kumerow finally shows up, especially with a good ground game. Our OL is really playing well since Jenkins came on. Packers will win this game!

Offline whiterook87

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 08:48:18 AM »

Good news is that both Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Geronimo Allison are ACTIVE, Raiders have some key players out for today's game.....Trent Brown, Tyrell Williams, Arden Key and Zay Jones all inactive.
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 09:05:57 AM »
Interesting that the Packers signed Grant and Crockett (let go from the Raiders PS last week) the week of the Raiders game. With Trevor Davis and Deshone Kizer both having been in the Packers camp and learned the Packers offense, I'm guessing their will be some cat and mouse games being played on both sidelines.

I really think this sort of thinking is greatly exaggerated. There is now six games of film on the Packers. To believe that two guys who were with the team during some offensive installs would give the Raiders a big break in more deeply understanding the Packers offense is overthinking. This is not like the SB where Gruden faced his old team, and annihilated their offense because the new regime apparently didn't change anything after he left. So, easy pickings with a great Bucs defense. "Cat and mouse games" are always in play in the NFL. Can you stop by offense? If you do, can I adjust my thinking on the fly and try something new? Action/reaction, cat/mouse. Rodgers will find a way to make it work, or the Packers will lose. Sometimes things are pretty simple. At least for simple minds.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 09:12:43 AM »

Good news is that both Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Geronimo Allison are ACTIVE, Raiders have some key players out for today's game.....Trent Brown, Tyrell Williams, Arden Key and Zay Jones all inactive.

Glad to see it, but how much they play and how effective they will be is key.  Good news though.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 09:19:31 AM »
Packers inactives…

- WR DAVANTE ADAMS
- WR RYAN GRANT
- OL COLE MADISON
- OL ADAM PANKEY
- S DARNELL SAVAGE
- TE ROBERT TONYAN
- LB TIM WILLIAMS

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 09:21:59 AM »

I really think this sort of thinking is greatly exaggerated. There is now six games of film on the Packers. To believe that two guys who were with the team during some offensive installs would give the Raiders a big break in more deeply understanding the Packers offense is overthinking. This is not like the SB where Gruden faced his old team, and annihilated their offense because the new regime apparently didn't change anything after he left. So, easy pickings with a great Bucs defense. "Cat and mouse games" are always in play in the NFL. Can you stop by offense? If you do, can I adjust my thinking on the fly and try something new? Action/reaction, cat/mouse. Rodgers will find a way to make it work, or the Packers will lose. Sometimes things are pretty simple. At least for simple minds.

Did I miss the posting by someone who 'greatly exaggerated' the effect on the game? Just not seeing it here.

Offline MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 09:59:57 AM »
It will be interesting to see how much playing time Lazard will get.  If he sees the field, will be continue his success or fade away.   

Offline MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 10:07:47 AM »
Packers showing that they cannot stop the run.  The Raiders helped us by throwing on 2nd and 3rd down. 

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 10:12:46 AM »
Officiating already...................................

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 10:16:06 AM »
 Wow! Aaron Jones...........