November 12, 2019, 02:16:56 AM

Author Topic: Lessons Learned - Oakland  (Read 1006 times)

Offline packlaw

• Starter
Lessons Learned - Oakland
« on: October 20, 2019, 02:53:45 PM »
For the first time this year, the offense totally outplayed our defense. I have to be happy how well the passing game excelled without Adams.  The arrow is pointing up and Rogers is in the MVP hunt.  The run game was sufficient, as Roger's felt the Oakland secondary was more vulnerable than their run defense.  Carr shredded our secondary and there was no real pass rush. Again too many yards given up on the ground and the middle of the field were owned by Oakland's receivers.  The defense misses Savage.  What is his injury and any projection as to when he will be back?  The defense needs to step up against KC.  However, kudos to the defense on the two goalline plays that resulted in a fumble and a stop.  Bend and not break is still the mantra for this defense.  The defense is not ranked high, but they get the job done. 

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 08:59:08 PM by marklawrence »

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Lessons Learned - Oakland
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 06:02:56 PM »
Rodgers is looking at the entire field with Adams out.  Spreading it around to several receivers.  Absolutely love seeing Jones and Vitale downfield in pass patterns.  Jones dropped a TD last week but its such a huge weapon to have, and I think you'll see more of it.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 06:37:10 PM »
The Packers were only out-yardaged by 3 this game, and probably could have gained that at the end if they'd had motivation! 

The o-line pass-protection has been really good.  Really good!  Rodgers was only sacked once today.  Last year, they were near the league-bottom with 3.3 sacks-per-game.  This year, tied for 8th-best with 1.8; and over last 3 games 1.3.  I think that totally changes the 3rd-down landscape.  Early on Turner looked pretty bad; is he now looking more competitive in pass protection? 

I know, last year 12 held the ball too long, it was largely his own fault.  But I think last year, when teams got to 3rd down, the blitz was on and 12 really couldn't operate.  Recent games, it's seemed like even on 3rd downs, he's had time to operate.  Perhaps that's also calmed his brain, too, so that he's looking for receivers instead of feeling spooked and imagining pressure even when it's not there?  It just feels like 3rd down, we've got a shot now. 

That may change, of course.  It seems several recent d-coordinators have elected not to blitz a lot.  After seeing what happens when teams don't and allow 12 to get comfortable, I'd think I'd take some risk and blitz and get the whole Packers offense uncomfortable if I was on the other side. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 03:46:33 AM »
I learned that Allen Lazard is just as fast as MVS as he ran stride for stride with MVS on that 74 yd TD catch.

Offline Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 06:31:11 AM »
The offense is far more dangerous when Rodgers spreads the ball around. It makes them harder to defend, and it helps Rodgers get the ball out in rhythm and not hold it too long. Oakland did a good job of stopping the pass rush yesterday. Would have been a completely different game if Carr doesn't fumble through the end zone at the end of the half. GB benefited from getting the ball to start the second half and essentially turned that fumble into a 21 point swing, and it was never close again. With Mahomes out, should be heavy favorites the next two weeks before taking on Carolina.

Offline croquet

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 06:45:06 AM »
Great to be 6-1 and 3-0 in the division. Also to be 3-0 without Adams.

The catch by Jones was amazing and i love the way Lazard high points the ball.

it was really surprising that the pass rush could not get home but Gruden's game plan was definitely spot on for most of the game.

Agreed that the 14 point swing and with us getting the ball in the second was too big of a hole.

Could talk all day. GO PACK GO!

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 06:54:57 AM »
We need a big run stuffing DT.  How important Savage is to the defense. Trading Davis was a mistake.  Offense finally broke out. 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 08:35:37 AM »
We need a big run stuffing DT.  How important Savage is to the defense. Trading Davis was a mistake.  Offense finally broke out.

Yeah, that Davis trade was really unwise.  He'd have been a useful weapon within the passing game. 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 09:38:24 AM »
scoremore and craig, did either of you feel the same way about Davis before this game? Sure, Davis had some decent returns, but then again, every KR has a good game against the Packers ST's. Water under the bridge. The big thing I took away from the game is that this is a TEAM, and that Rodgers is the heart and soul. Also, time to retire the 'AR v MLF' talk. Rodgers apparently has bought into the system, is getting better at running it, and the offense is starting to hit it's stride. Defense needs to stop giving up chunk plays, and learn how to cover TE's.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 10:12:23 AM »
scoremore and craig, did either of you feel the same way about Davis before this game? Sure, Davis had some decftp://ent returns, but then again, every KR has a good game against the Packers ST's. Water under the bridge. The big thing I took away from the game is that this is a TEAM, and that Rodgers is the heart and soul. Also, time to retire the 'AR v MLF' talk. Rodgers apparently has bought into the system, is getting better at running it, and the offense is starting to hit it's stride. Defense needs to stop giving up chunk plays, and learn how to cover TE's.

We make it sound like Davis went for 11 catches for 205.  The guy is a pedestrian receiver who didnt advance as a receiver when he was here.  He had a decent camp but it was too little,  too late.  Davis as a punt returner was pretty dependable to catch it.  The kickoff returner in the NFL has become almost irrelevant with touchbacks and ball through the end zone. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 11:16:49 AM »
That is correct ricky, it is water under the bridge. But doesn't change that the trade was not the wisest move for the Packers and yes Craig voiced that opinion at the time of the trade.

GM, he doesn't need to produce 11 catches for 205 yards for it to be a bad trade. All that needs to be ask is if the Packers were better with him or without him and clearly to me they would of been better with him. Is he better than Shepherd at what the Packers were/are asking them to do? Anyone with the slightest degree of objectivity can see Davis is a much better player now and always will be. Shepherd just is not an NFL caliber player and probably shouldn't even be on a 53 man roster.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 12:35:30 PM »
As RT notes, yes, I had questioned the move at the time of the trade.  Coming into camp and out of camp with the revised offense, I'd had pretty real hopes that Davis would be an interesting and useful option as a slot guy and as a deep vertical threat.  So thought he might be the breakout guy.  And also had hopes that as a small, quick guy who Rodgers has touted as having hands to make very difficult catches, I'd notes his potential value as a quick slot guy in contrast to all the long but non-shifty tall guys (Allison, ESB, Moore, Kumerow).  So yeah, in this case not totally hindsight. 

But hindsight or not, I think hindsight is underestimated!  Even if it was not hindsight, I think it's fair to observe when management made a mistake.  And choosing Shepherd over Davis was obviously a mistake.  (And it was never like it was a needed one-or-the-other.  There was always place on the practice squad for Shepherd....).  Hindsight is often the best way to look back and evaluate decisions. 

GM ntoes that "The guy is a pedestrian receiver".  My argument is that the Packers could totally use an average slot receiver.  Heh heh, just as hindsight is under-rated, likewise I think "average" is underrated.  On the anti-awful continuum, sometimes having some average guys is really valuable.  With Adams down, we've been lacking in average, IMO.  Particularly a diversity of average; Davis being fast and shifty would have been a welcome variant on the all-long model. 

GM also notes "who didnt advance as a receiver when he was here".  He was injured during year 2 and much of year 3.  He wasn't injured when Gute traded him.   

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 01:31:27 PM »
Packers pass rush was stymied because Gruden/Guenther game planned to double team the Smith's all day long and that Lowry/Clark/Lancaster would not pressure the QB even though they were left 1-1 with an OL most of the day. Gruden guessed right. But also laid the blue print for other teams to follow. Pettine needs to figure that thing out, and fast.

I was of the opinion that Kenny Clark was this budding super-all-world superstar, who was coming of age and would dominate the NFL and then get signed to a mega-all-world contract extension.

Am I missing something?

He's been fairly invisible for long stretches of this season. Kelce (Philly) totally dominated him. Oakland bullied him as well. Clark has been average, at best, so far this year.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 02:56:48 PM »
Packers pass rush was stymied because Gruden/Guenther game planned to double team the Smith's all day long and that Lowry/Clark/Lancaster would not pressure the QB even though they were left 1-1 with an OL most of the day. Gruden guessed right. But also laid the blue print for other teams to follow. Pettine needs to figure that thing out, and fast.

I was of the opinion that Kenny Clark was this budding super-all-world superstar, who was coming of age and would dominate the NFL and then get signed to a mega-all-world contract extension.

Am I missing something?

He's been fairly invisible for long stretches of this season. Kelce (Philly) totally dominated him. Oakland bullied him as well. Clark has been average, at best, so far this year.

Maybe because he has been dealing with back and calf injuries the past several weeks?

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 02:59:40 PM »
That is correct ricky, it is water under the bridge. But doesn't change that the trade was not the wisest move for the Packers and yes Craig voiced that opinion at the time of the trade.

GM, he doesn't need to produce 11 catches for 205 yards for it to be a bad trade. All that needs to be ask is if the Packers were better with him or without him and clearly to me they would of been better with him. Is he better than Shepherd at what the Packers were/are asking them to do? Anyone with the slightest degree of objectivity can see Davis is a much better player now and always will be. Shepherd just is not an NFL caliber player and probably shouldn't even be on a 53 man roster.

Davis is in his fourth year in the league, and has shown little/no improvement. Shepherd has been in seven games, and he's a bust? OK.

As far as the defense of Clark, thank you. Sometimes we get caught up in the moment, and forget about longer term analysis/contributing factors.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid