November 19, 2019, 08:24:10 PM

Author Topic: Trade deadline...Tuesday Oct. 29  (Read 2067 times)

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Trade deadline...next Tuesday
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2019, 05:20:30 PM »
No idea if the Packers will do anything, but I think youll see some activity after the games on Sunday and the Tuesday deadline.  Nothing spurs deals like a deadline.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 06:00:25 PM »
No idea if the Packers will do anything, but I think youll see some activity after the games on Sunday and the Tuesday deadline.  Nothing spurs deals like a deadline.

This will also be the first half of the season over for most teams. So, they'll have a chance to evaluate their chances of making the playoffs, or of dumping players for draft picks to try to get better with younger, cheaper players. Apparently the Lions have already started this process.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2019, 11:06:17 AM »

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 09:45:49 AM »
Trade: Leonard Williams traded from Jets to Giants for a 3rd this year and a 5th in 2021.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 10:56:08 AM »
Literally hours before the trade deadline is up. Quickly, any trades you'd make or want the Packers to make? Perhaps Robby Anderson from the Jets for a fifth? Or a fifth and a conditional extra fifth the next year? He would be a UFA next year, and would have to somehow get some trust/chemistry with Rodgers very quickly. So, how about Vic Beasley from Atlanta? Another UFA next year, but the Packers would have the luxury of evaluating him during the season, and deciding whether to re-sign him or let him walk. Again, late round draft pick. These are just off the top of my head thoughts; I am definitely not advocating or demanding action. Just if the team is going to do something, these guys are available, and might help during the second half of the season/(hopefully) playoffs.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2019, 12:14:14 PM »
I like Anderson , but he has baggage and it will take too long to learn the system and earn Rodgers trust. Any available WR at this point would face the same hurdles.  You never know though.

Offline lozmel

• Rookie
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2019, 02:48:59 PM »
We need a linebacker who can cover and  make tackles . Martinez  can't cover for his life and most of his tackles are 10yds down field . Need a thumper that makes you think twice about  crossing the middle of the field.

Offline packlaw

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2019, 03:34:48 PM »
Don't we have one in Burkes...

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2019, 04:04:03 PM »
Don't we have one in Burkes...

This what seemed very strange. Martinez was playing one handed, and was therefore not very effective. I thought Burks would get a chance to play when Martinez was reported as 'questionable' to play Sunday night. That the team went with an impaired Martinez rather than Burks could mean they have no faith in Burks. Or maybe he's still recovering from that pectoral injury. The same injury that has put JJ Watt on IR.

Now, the knock on Martinez only making tackles down the field, that is a perception, not a fact. And we have no idea what role the defensive scheme has him doing. So, if he doesn't make the tackle down the field, I guess we'd just have to trust the DB's to do the job. Or something. To get a clearer picture of what he can do, here is a breakdown of his career stats.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MartBl01.htm

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2019, 06:23:19 PM »
Given the price of # 2 type wide receivers I think the Packers will look for a returner first who could maybe help down the line as a receiver.

Some have suggested Pettis from the 49ers who is a quality PR  The Packers liked him a lot before the draft but he has somehow fallen into disfavor in SF
Others have suggested Jakeem Grant from Miami- he is tiny 5-6 but one of the fastest players in the game and should add excitment to the return game

Given the uncertainly at the ILB position I could see taking a flyer at a player to see what they have in him, much like they are doing with Tim Williams- Don't have any idea if someone like that is available.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2019, 05:32:22 AM »
Given the price of # 2 type wide receivers I think the Packers will look for a returner first who could maybe help down the line as a receiver.

Some have suggested Pettis from the 49ers who is a quality PR  The Packers liked him a lot before the draft but he has somehow fallen into disfavor in SF
Others have suggested Jakeem Grant from Miami- he is tiny 5-6 but one of the fastest players in the game and should add excitment to the return game

Given the uncertainly at the ILB position I could see taking a flyer at a player to see what they have in him, much like they are doing with Tim Williams- Don't have any idea if someone like that is available.

Read my mind.  Getting Pettis would be a good get.  Need help on our return units.  Could develop into a nice slot receiver down the road.  Saw this scenario on Packer Wire we ship Jackson off in exchange.  ILB would be nice totally agree.  Shore it up.  I'll add ship a 6th and Callahan off to Mia for Rosen rescue the poor kid and let him learn behind Aaron.  Don't think his value can get much lower.  A run stuffing DT would be a nice add as well.  Not expecting anything to happen sure Gute is busy making calls but the deal has to be right or he won't pull the trigger.

Offline whiterook87

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2019, 05:54:06 AM »

Word out of Denver is that the Broncos are looking to trade both cornerback Chris Harris and defensive end Derek Wolfe. Packers need to upgrade there run D, would love to see Gute trade for Derek Wolfe. He would fill that gap and stabilize that D line.
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Trade deadline...Tuesday Oct. 29
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2019, 09:46:50 AM »
As far as I'm concerned all the big moves this year came at the very start of trading. Amos, P.Smith, Z.Smith, Turner. They have collectively launched the Packers to where they stand now. Outstanding additions that allowed a rookie head coach the on-field talent to shine, and players to become a unified team.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline NYPACKATTACK

• Rookie
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2019, 12:34:03 PM »
Looks like we just got Harris for Jackson

Offline NYPACKATTACK

• Rookie
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2019, 12:38:26 PM »
Never mind just a bad rumor