November 19, 2019, 07:52:45 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Chiefs Game Day Thread  (Read 1072 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v Chiefs Game Day Thread
« on: October 24, 2019, 07:30:38 AM »
This game makes me pessimistic for the first time this season. Especially if Mahones somehow manages to hobble onto the field. This team is going to be charged up, ready for blood and wanting to make a statement. Think the Eagles, only more so. Whoever is playing QB for KC can expect to have the OL fighting to keep him upright with every fiber of their being. OK. All that typed, this could still turn into a shootout. And if the defense can rebound from it's mediocre/poor showing last week, the Packers have a decent chance of securing a win in a very hostile environment. The question being, did Oakland give the rest of the league a template for negating the Smiths? And if they are neutralized again this week, will there finally be someone else who steps up and puts some pressure on the QB? Tough, tough game even without St. Patrick.

This is where the thoughts on the pass rush came from: https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-pass-rush-needs-more-222
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 07:44:37 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Chiefs Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 08:04:38 AM »
KC is not a strong running team like OAK. Packers won’t have to go with “heavy” DL as much. It should give Pettine more flexibility in how he lines up the Smith’s.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 09:09:36 AM »
KC is not a strong running team like OAK. Packers won’t have to go with “heavy” DL as much. It should give Pettine more flexibility in how he lines up the Smith’s.

My memory of the Chiefs was that for years they were known for having a huge power-run o line. Now that might be years out of date by now, but it is my memory of what they used to say about that team.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 09:42:40 AM »
Andy Reid scares me in games like this.  I think we'll handle the speed outside pretty good.  Its Kelce I'm worried about.  Perhaps Savage can play?  For some reason this reminds me of the infamous "Aikman out, Jason Garrett in, we got this". Not so fast, this will be a close game on the road.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 09:45:59 AM by The GM »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 10:01:21 AM »
Andy Reid scares me in games like this.  I think we'll handle the speed outside pretty good.  Its Kelce I'm worried about.  Perhaps Savage can play?  For some reason this reminds me of the infamous "Aikman out, Jason Garrett in, we got this". Not so fast, this will be a close game on the road.

Personally, I agree. But the Packers have been made 3 1/2 point favorites. Which is highly unusual, since the home team usually is given three points just for being at home. Unless you're Cincy or Miami or Washington. Then you're almost always the underdog. Definitely a scary game. Let's hope if it comes down to the wire, clock management will be a key, because Reid is terrible in that area.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 10:45:45 AM »
I think playing in a loud stadium like Arrowhead on the road will be a great test for this team as they head into their road games down the stretch.  If they can go into the KC environment and pull off a win I think it will be a big confidence booster in future road games.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 12:51:55 PM »
Fans are going to focus on Mahomes not playing and it is a big deal, but not having 3 starters on defense and their starting LT and LG is also a big deal in the Packers advantage. As out manned as the Chiefs are, it would be a shame if the Packers let this one get away. The NFL is not about who you play, but when you play them and the Packers couldn't of been more lucky with when they are playing the Chiefs. Now just get the win baby!

Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
Follow
Follow @AdamSchefter

More
In addition to QB Patrick Mahomes, the Chiefs also will be without DT Chris Jones, DE Frank Clark, CB Kendall Fuller, LT Eric Fisher and OG Andrew Wylie against the Packers on Sunday night.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 01:06:48 PM »
Just got done packing the car.

Heading for KC in an hour. Should be fun!

My daughter and son in law flew there from DET this morning. My daughter said the plane was PACKED with Packer fans!!

My son in law wasn't as thrilled. He's a Chiefs fan.
(born and raised in WI but he cheers for KC and the Michigan Wolverines, LOL)

Looking forward to some great KC BBQ and a Packer victory!

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
. . .
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 06:03:23 AM »
Mahomes, starting left guard and left tackle all out for packers game

It's hard to see kc scoring many points when they're this banned up.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 10:14:14 PM by marklawrence »
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Online craig

• HOF Member
Re: Mahomes, starting left guard and left tackle all out for packers game
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 10:39:48 AM »
Thanks, Mark.  Good to know, rather than to wonder.  I don't think Packers are as good as the record, so I hope they don't assume they're going to win on the road.  Not safe for sure, but it would seem possible if the Packers play really well. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Mahomes, starting left guard and left tackle all out for packers game
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 11:17:06 AM »
They're wounded, which makes them more dangerous, IMO. They're going to be pumped up to show they can overcome the odds. And the hometown fans are going to be LOUD! This is not a 'gimme' in any sense. This is going to be a tough game, and could well come down to the final score. As stated earlier, if the game comes down to clock management, the Packers have the advantage.

Just read this at CheeseheadTV, and couldn't agree more:

The Green Bay Packers head into Sunday Night's matchup coming off of their best offensive performance of the season.  This primetime matchup has lost some of its sizzle because MVP candidate Patrick Mahomes has already been ruled out.  The Chiefs are wisely giving their star quarterback time to heel from his dislocated knee cap.  This matchup against the Chiefs is a trap game if I have ever seen one because it is human nature to overlook an opponent when their star quarterback and many other key players are inactive.  The Packers will show how disciplined a team they are on Sunday night as they look to take care of business at Arrowhead.

I'm really afraid of a defensive 'effort' like that against Philly. The only question being, will the offense play well enough to pull out a win?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 11:20:14 AM by ricky »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 11:30:22 AM »
Martinez was just downgraded to "questionable" for Sunday's game. Burks will get a chance to show what he can do, apparently. Hopefully he can cover Kelce competently, and keep him under 75-80 yards in receptions.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/26/packers-downgrade-blake-martinez-to-questionable/

Offline Ron836

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 02:02:30 PM »
In 2011 Packers are 13-0 v Chiefs 5-8 and Chiefs win 14-19 at home.

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 07:18:49 AM »
My guess is that Matt Moore will play pretty well in replacing Mahomes. Reid is so creative and will build a scheme to give him a chance to be successful with a heavy dose of power running, traps, mis-direction, jet sweeps, etc. and play-action passing.

Packers offense will get theirs I think, but the D will have to show up tonight.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2019, 09:24:39 AM »
My guess is that Matt Moore will play pretty well in replacing Mahomes. Reid is so creative and will build a scheme to give him a chance to be successful with a heavy dose of power running, traps, mis-direction, jet sweeps, etc. and play-action passing.

Packers offense will get theirs I think, but the D will have to show up tonight.

Agree.