November 12, 2019, 02:24:11 AM

Author Topic: Lessons Learned - KC game  (Read 778 times)

Offline packlaw

• Starter
Lessons Learned - KC game
« on: October 28, 2019, 03:50:20 AM »
Another great game with a great result.  Aaron Rogers and Jones are playing lights out.  The offensive line is doing its job.  Rogers and the running backs are the engines of the offense.  The team misses Davante big time. A couple of nice catches by the receivers, but Jones was the leader in passing yards.  With Adams playing, this offense would be awesome and play-action would confound any defense.  The defense went from bend not break to porous. Too many missed tackles, yards after the catch by the backfield and allowing a backup quarterback to go toe to toe with Aaron.  Thankfully, Lancaster recovered the fumble and a Smith added to his sacks. The defense did adjust after the second quarter mauling and was stout on KC's last possession.  The middle is still open and better tackling is needed.  A win is a win and KC's injuries at QB and defense helped. Clearly, these are two playoff-caliber teams at this time and Rogers is in the MVP race. 

c

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Lessons Learned - KC game
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 08:10:35 AM »
WOW, what a great win for the Packers last night. Their charmed season just keeps rolling along and it will be interesting to watch and see how long they can keep it going. Hopefully all the way though the playoffs! At the start of the season the Chiefs game seemed like the most unlikely of games to get the win for the Packers (simulators mostly were around a 12% win chance for the Packers), but as fate would have it the Packers get the Chiefs without Mahomes, 40% of their starting OL and 3 starters on defense. With that said, their are no apologies needed for getting the win. It is a great win and is now forever in the record books as so.

From the historical side the Chiefs were the only regular season foe this year that the Packers had a losing record against all-time and at the start of the season it didn't appear that the Packers would gain on them there, but it is the NFL and any given Sunday.

Za'Darius Smith added to his excellent pass rushing season he has had with 2 more sacks to bring his total to 8 in 8 games. He also laid on the field 2 more times like he had been sniper shot with a 7MM and surely his season was over if not his life only to return the next play. He leads the league in that category with 18 at the halfway point in the season.

It has been a great football season and the sun will shine and the birds will chirp every day again this week. On to the Chargers and keep on rolling.     

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 09:42:16 AM »
This is a team that finds a way to win. Rodgers is getting more in tune with what MLF wants to do offensively, and the results are pretty impressive. KC threw some wrinkles both offensively and defensively early on that caught the Packers flat footed, but they came back, made some adjustments, and eked out the win. They took advantage of KC mistakes and didn't make any errors of their own. Rodgers took too many sacks, and there were some very scary moments when both Smiths, and later, Bulaga and Bakhtiari were sidelined for short periods of time. Is the depth on the OL or DL deep enough to overcome a significant loss? The loss of Adams is significant, and Jones going out for a while with a bad shoulder was very worrisome. But this team seems to be following the 'next man up' mantra of Holmgren. What is weird is this year, the Packers simply don't seem to play very well in evening games. Well, the offense bailed out the defense this week. Time for the defense to step up next week. On to La La Land! And hopefully dance out with another win.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 09:58:45 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 12:56:01 PM »
.... Their charmed season just keeps rolling along and it will be interesting to watch and see how long they can keep it going. .... On to the Chargers and keep on rolling.   

"Charmed season".  Seems like almost every week it's kind of a tossup... but somehow we end up on the winning side almost every week.  We got the fumble, and recovered; they dropped the Rogers throw that could/should have been picked, and it's out with another win.

If you flip a coin 8 times, sometimes 7 out of 8 will come up heads.  It's almost seemed that way for the Packers thus far? 

But maybe, if you play 16 games that would otherwise be flip-a-coin matchups, but somehow don't turn the ball over, maybe that ball security is all it takes to win a lot of them? 

The lucky schedule continues.  Entering the season, road game versus a Chargers team that was expected to be good looked like a loss.  But now with Chargers really struggling, that looks like it could be yet another flip-a-coin tossup. 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 04:17:56 PM »
"Charmed season" is good. Better than a cursed season, which the Packers have had the last several years. What is more impressive is that this team seems to believe in itself. It is developing an identity- being opportunistic, taking advantage of those opportunities, and doing enough to win games. Recall that before the season, one of the big problems the Packers were going to have to face was whether Rodgers would buy into the new system; whether he would listen to his head coach, or simply do what he wanted, and the team would have to like it or lump it. Also, the question of whether the running game would be emphasized more. So far, so good. The defense is still a work in progress, but they have shown the ability to prevent teams from scoring TD's. Currently, the Packers are ranked #11 in scoring defense. Not outstanding, but certainly good/very good. 

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 04:59:15 PM »
Three questions.
1) Do we need a vet receiver ?
2) How do we improve the run defense ?
3) do we need sacks from a wider group of rushers ?

1) Getting a vet receiver (time is about up for this) is an interesting question. There have been a couple of good ones on the market but they are probably too expensive for the Packers purse strings. The lesser guys they CAN afford seem unlikely (to me) to provide more than a small boost until Adams comes back, and they are taking away from snaps to MVS and Lazard, for whom reps this year are very valuable for the future. It seems a bit like a week or two rental, not a longer term benefit.

2) My take on improving the run defense is less Kenny Clark. His a somewhat ineffective recently and I think a good part of that is that he is on the field too mjuch for a big guy. I'd rather see a few more snaps go to Lancaster and M.Adams while he rests (and if he is carrying an unreported injury, he needs time to recover). Along with less KC (which is a longer term fix, not a this-week fix), I'd like to see Keke get a few more snaps as well, they would be very valuable for him this year.

3) The sacks situation is both good and bad. The Smiths have seven each, but outside of those two, there aren't many anywhere else. I do get that Pettine hasn't needed to scheme sacks like he did last year (and with very little to work with), but I'd like to see the odd sack from a safety, CB, ILB or DT (not to mention Fackrell and Summers).
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 12:58:00 PM »
Ryan Wood

Verified account

@ByRyanWood
 18h
18 hours ago

More
Ryan Wood Retweeted Los Angeles Chargers
Chiefs lose their QB before playing the #Packers. Chargers dismiss their offensive coordinator before playing the Packers. Things keep coming up green and gold.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 01:51:05 PM »

Chiefs lose their QB before playing the #Packers. Chargers dismiss their offensive coordinator before playing the Packers. Things keep coming up green and gold.

ricky has been seen with Haitian voodoo dolls and surgical pins. Coincidence, I think not.............
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 03:42:18 PM »

ricky has been seen with Haitian voodoo dolls and surgical pins. Coincidence, I think not.............

You dont think the LAC offense might improve? Rivers is a damn good QB and Gordon may find his stride against our weak run front. The key is to start fast. Let's hope we can nail another one down.

"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Premontre1969

• Rookie
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 11:29:52 PM »
Based on who has done more with opportunities I’d like to see more of Kumerow and less of Allison.

Offline whiterook87

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 04:18:15 AM »

You dont think the LAC offense might improve? Rivers is a damn good QB and Gordon may find his stride against our weak run front. The key is to start fast. Let's hope we can nail another one down.

Last time we played the (Oct. 18, 2015) Chargers, Philip Rivers carved up our defense for 503 yards, and he nearly won it on his final pass of the night, had it not been broken up by Damarious Randall. Packers need to shore up that secondary.
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 05:53:35 AM »
Based on who has done more with opportunities I’d like to see more of Kumerow and less of Allison.

Allison gets separation.  Kumerow does not.  At least that is what I have seen so far.  Kumerow did make some tough catches but he has to win on his routes more.

Offline Premontre1969

• Rookie
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 02:09:17 PM »
I haven’t seen much of a separation difference between Allison and Kumerow. Where I may grant the benefit of the doubt to Allison, on slightly better separation times, Kumerow has made the tough catches where Allison is clearly not as sure handed or strong at securing the ball. Rogers has worked longer with Allison so he may have a predisposition to target him first. I’d just like to see Kumerow get more targets.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 06:22:49 PM »
Went to the game with my daughter, son-in-law, and oldest son.

Great game
Great atmosphere (pregame/tailgating & in-game...………..that's one reeeeeeeally loud place!)

Observations:
The Packers played soft on defense, but it may have been (partially) by design. The Chiefs have a ton of speed (Hill, Watkins, Hardman, etc.), and my feeling is that Pettine wanted the defense to keep everything in front of them. Don't get burned on a deep bomb, or something like that. For the most part it worked. Except for a bad play by Martinez to let Kelce get behind him, and some shoddy tackling on the jet-sweep by Mecole Hardman.

For the most part they limited Hill and Watkins, and KC doesn't have a really strong running game to fall back on. Their offense is built around the arm of Mahomes. I would have liked to have seen Pettine send an extra rusher here/there to get Moore rattled and cause some mistakes. But they mostly stuck with rushing 4 and dropping 7 into coverage.

Aaron Rodgers is on pace to have one of his best statistical seasons of his career. So much for him being washed up and over the hill. MLF has rejuvenated him and you can see the proof is in the pudding. His TD pass to Williams was other-worldly. Having Adams being out/injured may end up as a blessing in disguise. Packers are 4-0 without Adams, and Rodgers is developing chemistry with some of the younger WR's, MVS and Lazard...…...especially.

But the stick that stirs the drink, right now, in Green Bay is Aaron Jones. As a runner, they have to account for him. But as a receiver, they are searching for answers, and have few to none. The kid is a lethal weapon, plain and simple. When they put him in motion on pass plays, he's even more lethal. His final catch/run for TD that won the game was a thing of beauty, and he scored right where we were sitting. How sweet it was/is.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 09:11:30 PM »
dannobanano, great win, and really happy you and yours had a great time. Definitely poor tackling (with the exception of Amos, who just never seems to miss a tackle, and also seems to have great tackling form). And, yes, Rodgers has been rejuvenated by the MLF offense. The question of whether he was going to 'buy into the system' has been answered: yes. And he's going to do what it takes to win. And the team offensively is NOT going to take their foot off the gas if they get ahead. Always move forward, always look to score, never take a lead for granted.

Your comment on the "soft" defense is telling. Pettine has seen this defense give up too many chunk plays, and he wants to keep the other team out of the end zone more than he wants to prevent a lot of yardage. So far, so good.