November 19, 2019, 09:06:47 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Chargers Game Day Thread  (Read 766 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v Chargers Game Day Thread
« on: October 31, 2019, 10:56:42 AM »
This one has all the trappings of a "gimme" game for the Packers. The Chargers were pre-season favorites to be in the SB, and have vastly underachieved. They just fired their OC. They are likely to have more Packers fans than Chargers in their own stadium. Their defense is suspect, the OL is ranked 27th by Football Outsiders; the Packers are #10. Should be a relatively easy win for the Packers. But this is the NFL. And no team can be taken lightly. An key injury during the game could be devastating. All things considered, this is a tough one to be worried about. Which is worrisome. Will the Packers feel the same way? Just take care of business; just win, baby.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Chargers Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 11:15:09 AM »
They always play the Packers tough.

My guess is, this week is no different.

They have internal issues/distractions, they don't have their "own" stadium, they have injury issues.

Packers just announced they have zero (0) players on their injury list...…….great for week 9 of the season.
(edit): Sorry...……...meant to say they have zero players not practicing in some capacity. There's 22 on the report, but everybody is in pads and practicing.

MLF has been focused on hammering the one-week-at-a-time mind set home. It's worked so far, let's hope it works again this week.

There are no pushovers in the NFL.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 11:23:33 AM by dannobanano »

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 12:21:48 PM »
Not sure of Adams status but I'd sit him out or put him on a very limited snap count for this one.  Gotta get that thing healed for the stretch.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 12:39:08 PM »
Not sure of Adams status but I'd sit him out or put him on a very limited snap count for this one.  Gotta get that thing healed for the stretch.

Adams is getting closer to returning, as he went from limited practice yesterday to full pads today. Agreed, though- no need to hurry him back. Unless it is in limited snaps. And at the first sign of discomfort, he sits.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/31/davante-adams-practicing-in-full-pads/

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 03:12:39 PM »
This one has all the trappings of a "gimme" game for the Packers. The Chargers were pre-season favorites to be in the SB, and have vastly underachieved. They just fired their OC. They are likely to have more Packers fans than Chargers in their own stadium. Their defense is suspect, the OL is ranked 27th by Football Outsiders; the Packers are #10. Should be a relatively easy win for the Packers. But this is the NFL. And no team can be taken lightly. An key injury during the game could be devastating. All things considered, this is a tough one to be worried about. Which is worrisome. Will the Packers feel the same way? Just take care of business; just win, baby.

I don't see "gimme" at all.  Chargers have scored as many as they've allowed.  Not a bad team.  Not a powerhouse either, I get that.  But then, neither are the Packers, I don't think.  It's not in Lambeau, and Rivers has been good in past at the short-yardage over-the-middle passing areas where the Packers remain most vulnerable.  We're overdue to lose one.  If the turnover marbles keep rolling our way, great.  But I wouldn't assume some massive talent advantage in our favor.   

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 05:59:37 PM »
This one will be an easy win like 77-0 and the only reason it won't be more is that the Chargers will probably just give up and walk off the field after 3 quarters. If Adams plays the score will be like at least a 100-(-18) , if the Chargers don't quit. If they arm all the Chargers with AK-47's they might be able to stay within 50 at the end.....but still doubtful.

If the Packers put Rodgers on the field by himself they would win by 2 TD's. Tie Rodgers right arm behind his back and no one else on the field for the Packers, Packers win by 10. No one makes the trip to LA except Rodgers, Rodgers is blindfolded, hands tied behind his back, ankles shackled in a tank filled with pirania in the end zone........ Packers by 7.     

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 10:08:03 PM »
This one will be an easy win like 77-0 and the only reason it won't be more is that the Chargers will probably just give up and walk off the field after 3 quarters. If Adams plays the score will be like at least a 100-(-18) , if the Chargers don't quit. If they arm all the Chargers with AK-47's they might be able to stay within 50 at the end.....but still doubtful.

If the Packers put Rodgers on the field by himself they would win by 2 TD's. Tie Rodgers right arm behind his back and no one else on the field for the Packers, Packers win by 10. No one makes the trip to LA except Rodgers, Rodgers is blindfolded, hands tied behind his back, ankles shackled in a tank filled with pirania in the end zone........ Packers by 7.     

The point being made is that perhaps the Packers might feel a bit confident going into the game. MLF is doing his best to be Belichick in this regard: do your job, take it one game at a time. But the players may feel a bit... overconfident? Self assured? Because this is a team that finds ways to win. The Lions game is probably the best example. The Packers had just come off an emotional win against Dallas, and came out looking flat. They've just had an emotional win in KC. Will they repeat their slow start against the LAC? Could be. It's at least, to me, something to consider. Apparently one word: "gimme", has caused a lot of confusion. Am I sanguine about this game? Nope. But the Packers could be, as they were against the Lions. This could be another Philly game- a team with high expectations seeing their season slipping away, and they're going to fight tooth and nail to prove they are worthy.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 04:49:56 AM »

The point being made is that perhaps the Packers might feel a bit confident going into the game. MLF is doing his best to be Belichick in this regard: do your job, take it one game at a time. But the players may feel a bit... overconfident? Self assured? Because this is a team that finds ways to win. The Lions game is probably the best example. The Packers had just come off an emotional win against Dallas, and came out looking flat. They've just had an emotional win in KC. Will they repeat their slow start against the LAC? Could be. It's at least, to me, something to consider. Apparently one word: "gimme", has caused a lot of confusion. Am I sanguine about this game? Nope. But the Packers could be, as they were against the Lions. This could be another Philly game- a team with high expectations seeing their season slipping away, and they're going to fight tooth and nail to prove they are worthy.

Totally agree Ricky.  Especially going against Rivers.  Our D hasn't really impressed me the last few games either.  Expect a shoot out.  We are going to get their best shot for sure.  No game is a gimme in this league.  Well maybe Mia or Cin but we don't play them.  Any given Sunday never know.  If the Pack gets over confident they are toast.  Think they know better though.  Want to see some more aggression on D.  No bend but don't break get after Rivers.  Really hated the defensive game plan against KC.  Let a QB just stand back there and pick you a part.  Need to mix it up no guts no glory.   

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 10:16:07 AM »
Driving home from my yoga class, I was listening to Mad Dog Radio (sports talk). Three guys all agreed the Packers would wipe the stadium with the Chargers. Checked out the odds. Packers 3 1/2 point favorites. What is concerning is that the Chargers are going to use this disrespect, and even the likely large number of Packers fans at the game as motivation. Not bulletin board material, but these guys have been hearing they can't win the game, and to me, that means it's time to put in some extra effort to show those doubters they are full of it. Definitely expect the Chargers to be amped up, and come out hot in the early part of the game. The Packers are going to have to be patient, let the adrenaline rush ebb, and then be the slow and steady, wear down the defense team they have shown they can be. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 10:34:24 AM »

I think the loss to the Eagles and coming out flat against the Lions has served it's purpose when it comes to being over confident. I doubt the players will have their minds elsewhere come Sunday. MLF took those two games and used them as teaching moments for this team and I get the feeling they've bought into the one-week-at-a-time philosophy.

The biggest difference I see since the Eagles/Lions games is that the Packers offense has become much more diverse. From Rodgers, to the runningbacks, and spreading the ball around to everybody. This offense is playing at a different level than what they were earlier this season.

Having said that, the offense may very well need to be playing A+ football against the LAC's, unless the defense recaptures it's identity from the earlier part of the season.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 12:19:15 PM »
Adams and Sternberger active.  Josh Jackson a healthy scratch
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 12:21:02 PM by The GM »

Offline MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 01:12:26 PM »
Vikings lose to the Chiefs!  thumbsup)

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 01:33:53 PM »
Defense is getting chewed up already.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline BIG LEGEND

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 01:35:47 PM »
7-1 is great, but this defense stinks

Offline BIG LEGEND

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 01:37:08 PM »
When they get no pressure, they are a disaster