November 19, 2019, 08:07:40 PM

Author Topic: Zadarlus Smith  (Read 1167 times)

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
Re: Zadarlus Smith
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2019, 06:08:33 AM »
Cop should have just let him go.  What kind of Packer fan is he?   Very minor he might miss a game or two if the NFL decides to punish him.  Weed is practically legal now anyway.  Think they were talking about changing there stance on it at the last meeting.

Ah, the "Don't you know who I am?" defense. Apparently the officer did a complete search of the car, since the stuff was found in the trunk.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-green-bay-packers-zadarius-smith-cited-ticketed-marijuana-possession-speeding-freeway-223705325.html

Now as to how the NFL might react, here is an excerpt from an article on the subject:

For recreational drugs, the penalties are set up in stages. Anyone with a positive test (pre or postdraft) enters the program. Failure to comply with the program's zero-tolerance policy carries a penalty dependent on which step of the program the player is in.

In Stage 1, the fine is three-seventeenths of an amount specified in the player's contract. That percentage escalates to four-seventeenths in the next step. These also go along with suspensions. In Stage 3, the penalty is banishment from the league for one calendar year.

So, apparently a fine will probably be levied, but no suspension for a first offense. But expect Smith to face much stricter testing going forward.

Man that was an expensive joint.  Too bad for Z he won't be able to smoke weed anymore.  The NFL will probably change the status of weed as a drug by next year.  Until then these guys should just not smoke.  If he doesn't get suspended that's really good news.  Might not have even been his who knows.  Could have been one of the other guys.  Regardless pretty minor deal.   Nothing like some of the things other teams are dealing with.  Cops down there are viscous.  They hide on the overpass and have another ready to pull you over.  Huge speed trap. On some days they will do a sting operation and have multiple cars pulled over.

I think their should be some new laws.  First all cops should be screened.  If they are a Bear's fan they should be terminated immediately.  Second all Packer players should be exempt from traffic laws.  Third all Packer players should be able to claim diplomatic immunity from all misdemeanor offenses in the state of Wisconsin.  That should just about cover it. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2019, 07:00:20 AM »

Man that was an expensive joint.  Too bad for Z he won't be able to smoke weed anymore.  The NFL will probably change the status of weed as a drug by next year.  Until then these guys should just not smoke.  If he doesn't get suspended that's really good news.  Might not have even been his who knows.  Could have been one of the other guys.  Regardless pretty minor deal.   Nothing like some of the things other teams are dealing with.  Cops down there are viscous.  They hide on the overpass and have another ready to pull you over.  Huge speed trap. On some days they will do a sting operation and have multiple cars pulled over.

First, yes, he could well continue to smoke unless he is given random drug tests throughout the year, not just the season. Usually everyone is tested at the start of the season, then, unless there is some reason to do so, not given another test until the following season. Will he get suspended? Quite possibly. But it will more likely be next year, if it happens. Also, Smith claimed ownership of the dope. It seems likely he was just protecting his teammates. So good on him for that. And definitely a 'minor deal'. As far as a speed trap, yep, some places thrive on that. We have a place about 30 miles from here that brings in approximately $400,000 per year on speeding tickets. For a burg of less than 8,000 people, that is a huge boost to the economy.

I think their should be some new laws.  First all cops should be screened.  If they are a Bear's fan they should be terminated immediately.  Second all Packer players should be exempt from traffic laws.  Third all Packer players should be able to claim diplomatic immunity from all misdemeanor offenses in the state of Wisconsin.  That should just about cover it.

Good start on the laws. But they should also screen for Vikings fans, especially in western Wisconsin. And Lions fans also, though these people should be given help, not condemnation.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 08:12:50 AM »
Could have been he got busted in Racine.  Right near the border.  Lived there for 13 years.  Word of advice don't speed from the border to Ryan Rd.  Used to run that gauntlet every day get clocked at least 3 times heading to work.  Bad place to speed Z didn't have a chance.

I heard it was in Racine County, and having grown up in that county I can confirm that I-94 through Kenosha/Racine counties is patrolled heavily and speeding is not tolerated.

Still, a very irresponsible decision by a concensus "Leader" on this Packers team.

MLF, in his first year, is really getting the full monty when it comes to coaching/leading/managing an NFL team.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2019, 08:23:34 AM »

First, yes, he could well continue to smoke unless he is given random drug tests throughout the year, not just the season. Usually everyone is tested at the start of the season, then, unless there is some reason to do so, not given another test until the following season. Will he get suspended? Quite possibly. But it will more likely be next year, if it happens. Also, Smith claimed ownership of the dope. It seems likely he was just protecting his teammates. So good on him for that. And definitely a 'minor deal'. As far as a speed trap, yep, some places thrive on that. We have a place about 30 miles from here that brings in approximately $400,000 per year on speeding tickets. For a burg of less than 8,000 people, that is a huge boost to the economy.

Good start on the laws. But they should also screen for Vikings fans, especially in western Wisconsin. And Lions fans also, though these people should be given help, not condemnation.

My mistake.  A cop who is a Vikings fan?  They should be immediately incarcerated or sent to a mental institution for rehabilitation.   Your right I change my previous statement.  It should be mandatory that all Wisconsin police be Packers fans.  If not they should be deported to another state.

Offline rock county

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2019, 08:54:28 AM »
Cop looked at Smith and said "You're Busted", then looked at Rashan Gary and said "You're just a bust".  JUST KIDDING

Funny

Offline Premontre1969

• Rookie
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2019, 05:39:52 PM »
I think being found in the back is even better for Z legally.  Once a lawyer touches this there is no way these charges stick.  No jury would convict him of this when there were two people in the back where the joint was found.

First, please re-read the linked articles. He is facing fines, not jail time. Is he seriously going to take this to a jury to keep from paying a total of  approximately $575 in fines for these offenses? Sure, he might "beat the rap" for the dope. But the question is really what action the NFL will take. Will he miss one or two games for this? Will it be this year or next year? These are the important questions for the fans. At least it sounds like he wasn't driving impaired, which is good. But he was still reckless due to his excessive speed. And, by the way, the question of the number of people in the car is less important than Smith claiming the dope was his, and his alone. He protected two younger and much poorer teammates.

It was 5:30 pm. I seriously doubt there was any construction going on. Should switch back to normal speed limit, just like a school zone restriction lifted by that time. It sounds like a speed trap to me.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2019, 09:33:50 PM »
It was 5:30 pm. I seriously doubt there was any construction going on. Should switch back to normal speed limit, just like a school zone restriction lifted by that time. It sounds like a speed trap to me.

There are still lane closures, barriers and other hazards present. Once the school day is over, the kids are gone, so the speed limits go back to normal. The two situations are not comparable. Was it a speed trap? Smith was clocked driving 21 mph over the limit. Then again, he was driving from Chicago, where speed limits are routinely ignored, so there is that.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2019, 06:23:03 AM »
Diplomatic immunity... now there is a creative solution. hysterical

I have to say, I am opposed to deportation. Interventions need to be matched to level of disturbance... Lion's fan -- clearly in need of educational services, Vikings' fan -- clearly in need of serious mental health services, Bear's fan -- very poor prognosis, probably facing long term institutionalization. ;)

Z is guilty of driving stupidly... he deserved to be pulled over and ticketed for speeding. Police can always claim (make-up) probable cause, and admittedly often do. Since they write in their report than once handcuffed none of them smelled of marijuana - the smell as cause is fishy. Seriously ricky, how many times in your life have you been cuffed and searched when pulled over for a traffic stop??? I know this will freak some guys out, but to me it is congruent with the special treatment reserved for "driving while black or brown in America."  :(
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 06:33:39 AM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2019, 07:12:18 AM »

I have to say, I am opposed to deportation. Interventions need to be matched to level of disturbance... Lion's fan -- clearly in need of educational services, Vikings' fan -- clearly in need of serious mental health services, Bear's fan -- very poor prognosis, probably facing long term institutionalization. ;)

Z is guilty of driving stupidly... he deserved to be pulled over and ticketed for speeding. Police can always claim (make-up) probable cause, and admittedly often do. Since they write in their report than once handcuffed none of them smelled of marijuana - the smell as cause is fishy. Seriously ricky, how many times in your life have you been cuffed and searched when pulled over for a traffic stop??? I know this will freak some guys out, but to me it is congruent with the special treatment reserved for "driving while black or brown in America."  :(

Have to agree with B.  Handcuffs?  Really?  Total BS.  Cops do profile no doubt about it.  BTW this is coming from a white guy.  They could have definitely handled this better.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2019, 09:50:09 AM »

There are still lane closures, barriers and other hazards present. Once the school day is over, the kids are gone, so the speed limits go back to normal. The two situations are not comparable. Was it a speed trap? Smith was clocked driving 21 mph over the limit. Then again, he was driving from Chicago, where speed limits are routinely ignored, so there is that.

Cop is to be applauded for doing his job, and all three Packers should be applauded for doing exactly what the officer said to do.  Citations given to Smith as they should, everyone goes home safe.   Its amazing how that works. 

If Gary was looking for a way to make the news, he found it, although most would prefer it to be on Sundays.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 10:00:14 AM by The GM »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2019, 10:50:08 AM »

Should he have been cited? Absolutely. Should all three have been handcuffed? Absolutely not. What gave you the idea I was condoning that overreaction by the cop? Once he got them away from the car (which apparently did smell of dope), and found they had no tell tale signs of recent smoking, they should have been given the ticket, told to drive more carefully, and told to have a good trip. The overreaction was, unfortunately, another incident of DWB.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2019, 11:18:36 AM »

Should he have been cited? Absolutely. Should all three have been handcuffed? Absolutely not. What gave you the idea I was condoning that overreaction by the cop? Once he got them away from the car (which apparently did smell of dope), and found they had no tell tale signs of recent smoking, they should have been given the ticket, told to drive more carefully, and told to have a good trip. The overreaction was, unfortunately, another incident of DWB.

Got no issues with the cuffs while car is being searched.  Protects the officer and the perpetrators.  What if there were serious drugs in the vehicle?  The officer doesnt know what these guys will do? Run? Attack him while hes searching? Handcuffing the subjects should be SOP when searching a car for suspected drugs regardless of race. 

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2019, 06:38:46 PM »
Bullshit. They were pulled over for speeding. There was no probable cause to cuff them.

Have you ever been handcuffed for a routine traffic stop? Of course not - but then again you're white. They were cuffed because they were three large black men driving an expensive vehicle.

I was once cuffed for walking a block away from a new place I was leasing. The officer insisted I didn't look like I belong in the neighborhood. No offense GM, but it is easy for you to have no problem with this.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2019, 07:15:57 PM »
Bullshit. They were pulled over for speeding. There was no probable cause to cuff them.

Have you ever been handcuffed for a routine traffic stop? Of course not - but then again you're white. They were cuffed because they were three large black men driving an expensive vehicle.

I was once cuffed for walking a block away from a new place I was leasing. The officer insisted I didn't look like I belong in the neighborhood. No offense GM, but it is easy for you to have no problem with this.

Complete nonsense. Whether the cop has probable cause can be debated.  Once that happens, a cop isnt going to turn his back  on on drug suspects while he searches their car.   Cuff them, search the car, let em go if you dont find anything.  I would expect a cop to do that to me if he suspected anything in my car.  The Packer  did exactly what you should do.  Cooperate and move on.

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2019, 12:41:58 PM »

[/quote]

As a professional driver for 30 years, I respectfully say you are dead wrong. Construction zones often have limited or no shoulders, reduced lane size due to pylons and closed and re-routed lanes. Night time just adds to difficult driving conditions and the above obstacles become harder to negotiate at night.  They are not akin to school zones.

Rant over

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 12:43:01 PM by Fargofootball »