November 12, 2019, 03:36:23 AM

Author Topic: Lessons Learned - LAC  (Read 711 times)

Online packlaw

• Starter
Lessons Learned - LAC
« on: November 03, 2019, 04:59:06 PM »
A pure butt-kicking.  We played a team on the ropes and had a must-win game. The Chargers were up for this game and exposed our weaknesses.  Our tackles couldn't handle two good pass rushers.  Our interior offensive line was awful and had at least 4 penalties.  Where were Kenny Clark and the rest of the interior defensive line?  Rogers had no time to set up the pass.  The receivers couldn't get open fast enough and play-action pass was taken away early.  Aside from injuries, what could go wrong, went wrong.  Our run defense gave up as much rush yardage as the Charges had in the last four games. 
Worst of all, our defensive backs were unable to cover and no adjustments were made at halftime to stem the tide.  Next week we have to stop the rush and defend passes to the backs as Carolina has the best.  Carolina also is fighting for its playoff life. We need to raise our game to compete with them.  I'm hoping this game was an aberration and the team plays to its hightest level next week knowing the bye is after the game....

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Lessons Learned - LAC
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 05:47:23 PM »
The Chargers have the sixth best passing defense in the league, allowing an average of 217.4 yards per game. They are 23rd in rushing defense, giving up an average of 122.7 per game. The Packers came out slow, lethargic, unenthusiastic, flat, and looked like they were always a step slow. To put in something that isn't just about this game but that seems to be really important in the league, the Packers should really, seriously look into having an adequate, ready to play backup for Rodgers. Watching Bridgewater in NO and Moore in KC shows what difference a good backup can make in keeping a team's SB hopes alive if their starter gets hurt. We also saw what could happen when an inadequate backup was put into action when Rodgers was hurt. Yeah, hindsight, etc. But paying a couple million a year to 'hold a clipboard' can pay dividends. Either that, or go cheap and write off the season if your QB goes down for any period of time. Finally, so far, every home team has won their game today. And every team in the division lost today, not just the Vikes. Go figure. One of those games, one of those weeks. Hopefully, the Packers can find a way to stop every one but McCaffrey. Just keep him out of the end zone. And get the ball to someone besides Adams.

Just read this at CheeseheadTV, and agree with most/all of it. It was Team Fired Up against Team Lethargy.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/gut-reactions-packers-chargers-759
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 06:02:24 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Pack2SB

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 01:48:56 AM »
The Chargers have the sixth best passing defense in the league, allowing an average of 217.4 yards per game. They are 23rd in rushing defense, giving up an average of 122.7 per game. The Packers came out slow, lethargic, unenthusiastic, flat, and looked like they were always a step slow. To put in something that isn't just about this game but that seems to be really important in the league, the Packers should really, seriously look into having an adequate, ready to play backup for Rodgers. Watching Bridgewater in NO and Moore in KC shows what difference a good backup can make in keeping a team's SB hopes alive if their starter gets hurt. We also saw what could happen when an inadequate backup was put into action when Rodgers was hurt. Yeah, hindsight, etc. But paying a couple million a year to 'hold a clipboard' can pay dividends. Either that, or go cheap and write off the season if your QB goes down for any period of time. Finally, so far, every home team has won their game today. And every team in the division lost today, not just the Vikes. Go figure. One of those games, one of those weeks. Hopefully, the Packers can find a way to stop every one but McCaffrey. Just keep him out of the end zone. And get the ball to someone besides Adams.

Just read this at CheeseheadTV, and agree with most/all of it. It was Team Fired Up against Team Lethargy.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/gut-reactions-packers-chargers-759

Agree with the Sterling Sharpe quote from cheeseheadtv.com.  Starting to wonder if AR is really trying to be a team player or if MVP is more on his mind. Is AR doing what MLF wants to do or what he wants to do. Probably will never know but you can't keep counting on penalties/mistakes from other teams to win games. The next 2 games will reveal the real Packer team. Stay tuned.

Offline MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 06:11:12 AM »
To me the big difference was that the offensive line really struggled this game.  We know the defense has been giving up big plays since the Dallas game and we know Martinez cannot cover a TE or a RB.... but what was surprising was the lack of play by the offensive line.   In the fist half, the offense was put into a 2nd and long or 3rd and long after various penalties put on them by the offensive line.   Then in the second half (at least it seem to me it was more prevalent) they couldn't contain the pass rush from the Chargers defense.  Although the Chargers only had 3 sacks in the game, it seem that they were constantly making Rodgers uncomfortable in the pocket.  Then on special teams, the offensive line (agree different personnel) allowed the defense to slip through the line to block the punt.   Here is a thought, is Rodgers a better passer without Adams in the game or with Adams?  I know this is a silly question to ask and obviously the Packers are a better team when DAdams is healthy but just seem that Rodgers went back to tunnel vision on DAdams when it previous games he had spread the ball all around to various players.  Out of 31 targeted passes, Rodgers targeted Adams 11 times. 

Oh .. and one more thing, where are you MVS?  Is he even on the team anymore?   confused(
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 06:13:46 AM by MrJuly4th »

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 06:42:10 AM »
No the sky is not falling, the team is 7-2.

We faced a team that is way better then their record and they were ready to play. Green Bay came out flat, and penalties stalled the first few drives, most teams will  spiral into a crappy game if those two things happen to begin the game.

Maybe the team started believing all the hype, they need to learn from this game and move on. Lets see how they look for the next game before freaking out and start blaming people.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 07:18:13 AM »
That didn't take much to send fans into panic mode. They are not as good as the hero worshippers wanted to claim a week ago, but they are 7-2 and still 1st in the division and still a good team. They lost no ground to anyone in the North because all 4 teams lost yesterday.

The Packers lived a charmed life through the first 8 games of the season. They caught many breaks along the way, from injuries on other teams to penalties that bailed them out to catching teams on letdown weeks for them. It happens and it is all part of a season. Yesterday the Packers were the team that was the letdown team and the Chargers were the hungry, must win game team. It is not who you play, but when you play them! Fans have heard this all their lives, but it is amazing how few really get it.

The Packers should bounce back this week, but it is not a gimme by any stretch. Ron Rivera defenses have given Rodgers problems at times in the past. Add in that the Packers are headed into their bye week and it makes the game a little iffy. It is not just a Packers thing, it is a league wide thing that teams have a letdown before their week off. No player wants to spend their week off in rehab and it is common for players to play not to get hurt that week. The good news is that the Panthers are playing with a backup QB and Pettine should have a good book on him and should be able to throw somethings at him that he has never seen to attack his weaknesses. Also, the Packers should have a little added motivation to get the bad taste of the Chargers game out of their mouths.

All and all it is a good day. The Packers are in the same place in the standing they were a week ago and they got a west coast road game out of the way. They were never going to win every game and for those that may not know it, they will lose more games. The Packers charmed and blessed season is still on the tracks. There will be other bumps in the road along the way, but enjoy the ride, it still has a chance to be a special season.   

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 08:00:56 AM »
In my non expert opinion, there are two glaring weaknesses on this team ILB and TE.

If we had a stud ILB improving the run defense and TE coverage it would solve so many problems on defense. On the other side if this offense had a stud TE to compliment Adams and our very capable pass catching backs, it would hum along in most situations.

They need to find ways to work around these two weaknesses. Jimmy Graham is way to slow to be a offensive threat, and Martinez this year runs around looking like a chicken with his head cut off.

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 11:07:41 AM »
The Charger players said they knew what was coming both on offense and defense.  I thought teams self scout so they don't get  into these obvious patterns.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 11:43:21 AM »
The Charger players said they knew what was coming both on offense and defense...

Very interesting. 

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 11:58:59 AM »
It was a complete surprise to me that Bosa could destroy Bulaga like he did. Also surprised that two DEs could wreck so much of the offense when you have two JAGs in the other positions. From an offense that wants to move the chains...there were a lot of 20-30 yard throws on 2nd and 3rd downs.
I'm going to say this and take the risk that it's going to pi-- people off, but this defense has two pass rushers and fair to good CBs and pretty good safeties. They haven't been effective playing aggressive defense for the past three games. By design or by player's talent....they have to get better.  I'm sorry that Gutsey didn't pick up Williams from the Jets!
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 12:29:35 PM »
I'll echo RT's thoughts here a bit.

Lost no ground on a week when we fell jelly side down. (cheap lesson learned I hope)

Lost to a non NFC team, so NFC head to head  tiebreakers  weren't affected

1 west coast game out of the way (but on paper looked the easiest)

While we can beat anyone on the schedule, we will lose some more games. 12-4 or 11-5 would be a great season for this team and first year coach. We are still on track...

Minor gripe
At some point during one of the 1st half series we should have just run the ball and punt if need be.
needed to get nasty back at them after the first two offensive series. Makes this offensive line click a bit, especially in the interior part of the line.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 12:30:21 PM »
Apparently, Rodgers learned something from this trip: that not all his teammates were ready to play on Sunday. Not exactly a revelation, but with AR, it's best to try to read between the lines. He's apparently unhappy with someone, and the ball is clearly in the court of the coaches, IMO. They are the ones who should be monitoring the players and making sure they're ready to play, not doing things that will lead to poor outcomes/embarrassing performances. But, and this is pie in the sky speculation two offensive linemen who had been very good this season were shoddy on Sunday. Penalties and a step late in blocking killed the offense repeatedly. So, does anyone else want to speculate?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/04/aaron-rodgers-sends-a-message-after-ugly-loss-in-l-a/

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 12:54:56 PM »
Rodgers went back to his old crutch in Adams and it showed.   Allison and MVS could have stayed home in Green Bay.  On defense, they were gouged by the run, and I think their WR Williams was wearing a suicide vest the way he was open all day.  Teams are going to use this game as a blueprint to shut down the Packers on offense and defense.  Focus and adjustments will be key in the coming weeks.

The Packers got punched in the mouth on both sides of the ball and didnt respond. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 01:59:06 PM by The GM »

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 05:25:42 PM »
The Charger players said they knew what was coming both on offense and defense.  I thought teams self scout so they don't get  into these obvious patterns.

Where did you read or hear this? A link would be great, but even a source would be very helpful. This is not to doubt you, but it would be an interesting read, to say the least.

Offline BIG LEGEND

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 06:23:26 PM »
I still believe that without question the biggest weakness on this team is the defensive line. They get pushed all over field on a regular basis. Although I really like Kenny C, he has not played like a real top tier player this season, and Dean L is so overrated it's not even funny. When the guys not over running plays or getting pushed out of the play, he can be seen laying on the ground, and it's not because he made the tackle. All the others are just guys. I think this unit is so bad, that you could replace everyone but Kenny C with guys that are available, whether that be street free agents of practice squad guys and you wouldn't notice the difference. I give this defensive line a grade of D, and that is only because I like Kenny C.

I think the back 7 is much more talented than the line and have to do so much more because of it. I will say however that the number of times the opposition has run free in the secondary is rather disturbing. As a group i like our linebackers. The Smith duo are very good and Fackrell is a nice backup. The inside guys do not make enough plays near the line and their pass coverage just isn't good enough.

Talent wise (excluding the line) this defense is much better than units we've seen the last handful of years, but I am still disappointed in their productivity as a whole.