November 12, 2019, 02:33:47 AM

Author Topic: A new Brady? Discuss.  (Read 161 times)

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
And God so loved the Green Bay Packers, He reached forth his mighty hand and stamped his initial upon the sides of their helmets!--Lombardi 3-16

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: A new Brady? Discuss.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 06:01:47 AM »
Brady is showing his age, but I still think he's elite due to his mind. Will he leave the Pats? I find this hard to imagine. He may have four more years left in him playing for Belichick, but starting over somewhere else? For what? Money? Gizelle in LA? Maybe. Gizelle in Tennessee? Seriously? This is a woman who's spent her life in the spotlights, Nashville doesn't even have street lights.

The Patriots - who have they played? This weekend the Ravens will show us if they're for real or if they're paper tigers.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 06:08:03 AM by marklawrence »
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 07:19:13 AM »
Brady is showing his age, but I still think he's elite due to his mind. Will he leave the Pats? I find this hard to imagine. He may have four more years left in him playing for Belichick, but starting over somewhere else? For what? Money? Gizelle in LA? Maybe. Gizelle in Tennessee? Seriously? This is a woman who's spent her life in the spotlights, Nashville doesn't even have street lights.

The Patriots - who have they played? This weekend the Ravens will show us if they're for real or if they're paper tigers.

The Pats have played one team (Bills) with a winning record so far this season. Other than that, they've faced bottom dwellers. They have the luxury of playing in probably the worst conference in football, giving them a big boost in winning the division year after year. Brady leaving NE? You're correct- unless it's for NYC or LA, not going to happen. Apparently the Bundchen's house is up for sale (as is Tom's personal trainer/guru's). But they bought another place in Connecticut. This all seems a tempest in a teapot. The question is, would he be as effective outside the Belichick system? After all, when Brady was IR'ed after the first game of 2008, Matt Cassel was the QB of a 10-6 team. Cassel was traded (along with Mike Vrabel, another system player) to KC for the 34th pick of the draft. And Cassel proved he was only effective because of the NE system. Is the same true of Brady? It'd be interesting to see him play elsewhere just to find out. Though his apologists would cite age, lack of surrounding talent, etc. for any shortcomings. Or maybe he'd be like Joe Montana, ousted from SF, or Peyton, cut by Indy. Both helped their respective teams become relevant again for a couple of years. Brady might even win one for Tennessee. And then retire having proven he was not just a "NE system QB."

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 08:21:27 AM »

The Pats have played one team (Bills) with a winning record so far this season. Other than that, they've faced bottom dwellers. They have the luxury of playing in probably the worst conference in football, giving them a big boost in winning the division year after year. Brady leaving NE? You're correct- unless it's for NYC or LA, not going to happen. Apparently the Bundchen's house is up for sale (as is Tom's personal trainer/guru's). But they bought another place in Connecticut. This all seems a tempest in a teapot. The question is, would he be as effective outside the Belichick system? After all, when Brady was IR'ed after the first game of 2008, Matt Cassel was the QB of a 10-6 team. Cassel was traded (along with Mike Vrabel, another system player) to KC for the 34th pick of the draft. And Cassel proved he was only effective because of the NE system. Is the same true of Brady? It'd be interesting to see him play elsewhere just to find out. Though his apologists would cite age, lack of surrounding talent, etc. for any shortcomings. Or maybe he'd be like Joe Montana, ousted from SF, or Peyton, cut by Indy. Both helped their respective teams become relevant again for a couple of years. Brady might even win one for Tennessee. And then retire having proven he was not just a "NE system QB."

The PATS play in, arguably, the weakest division in the NFL, and it's been that way for over 20 years.

I know it's obtuse of me to suggest this, but if the Packers were playing in place of New England they might have more Lombardi's in the trophy case.

Notice: I said "might". (that is all)

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 04:56:57 PM »
The PATS play in, arguably, the weakest division in the NFL, and it's been that way for over 20 years.

I know it's obtuse of me to suggest this, but if the Packers were playing in place of New England they might have more Lombardi's in the trophy case.

Notice: I said "might". (that is all)

Sadly, the NFL north is frequently just as bad. For may years we've squandered a real advantage. Compared to Belichick, there's really only one difference: we almost never rent a plug and play player. He has a HOF QB, so have we. He picks low, so do we. He wins the games he should, we all too frequently have played down to the level of our opponents. Can you even imagine Miami or NYJ handing it to the Pats?
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 05:59:10 PM »
Sadly, the NFL north is frequently just as bad. For may years we've squandered a real advantage. Compared to Belichick, there's really only one difference: we almost never rent a plug and play player. He has a HOF QB, so have we. He picks low, so do we. He wins the games he should, we all too frequently have played down to the level of our opponents. Can you even imagine Miami or NYJ handing it to the Pats?

Tom Brady is scheduled to start at quarterback against Miami for the 34th time in his career and has compiled a 22-11 record against the Dolphins, including a 7-10 record at Miami.

For some reason, the Pats always seem to have a bad time winning in Miami. Weather? Shula voodoo? "Mercury" Morris voodoo? Who knows. But, yeah, the Pats play in a "patsy" division. And even though the Lions are usually pathetic, the Vikes and Bears are usually at least good, the Bears usually having an excellent defense, but never a decent QB. And all those teams always seem to get really fired up to beat the Packers. But, yeah, the Packers do seem to have had a tendency to play to the level of their opponent.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid