November 12, 2019, 02:20:02 AM

Author Topic: Return Game  (Read 451 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Return Game
« on: November 07, 2019, 03:58:37 PM »
Just going through the NFL stats and looked at the returners. The Packers are last in the NFL in punt returning with a -8 yards in their first 9 games, yes that is correct, A NEGATIVE EIGHT YARDS FOR ALL 9 GAMES.

And KO returns? Last in that stat also at 16 YPR.

In other news today, Trevor Davis is averaging 11.9 yards a punt return (career average in GB was 11.2) and 26.9 yards a KO return (career average in GB was 22.6) this season in Oakland.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: Return Game
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 07:01:31 PM »
Thanks RT...that may be the most pathetic stat I have ever read or heard about.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 05:39:33 AM »
Just going through the NFL stats and looked at the returners. The Packers are last in the NFL in punt returning with a -8 yards in their first 9 games, yes that is correct, A NEGATIVE EIGHT YARDS FOR ALL 9 GAMES.

Does that already factor in negative yardage due to penalty, or no?  If not, once the penalty negatives get factored in as well, it could get variably worse....

Heh heh, get somebody who can run under the ball and not let it bounce; fair-catch as the default; and tell your ST guys don't do any penalties; and take the net zero.  Get no injuries, get no negative yardage, take no fumble risks.  Win, win, win. 

Offline MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 06:05:50 AM »
Gute has made some terrific moves for the Packers but this is NOT one of them.   I am imagining that they had high hopes for Darrius Shepherd and thus Davis gets traded for a 6th round pick.  The only way to salvage the situation is to either coach up Shepherd who is now on the practice squad or pick very well next year in the 6th round. 

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 08:25:20 AM »
I suspect the answer lies with next year's draft. A good WR that can return punts and KOs. Check out Duvernay from Texas. He would solve several problem areas.
https://youtu.be/lRvbrbQcf7Q    His game against LSU.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 09:39:30 AM »
Davis is doing well for another team. Good for him. Would he be doing as well for the Packers? Unknown. He did average over 20 yards per kickoff for the Packers, and about 11 yards per punt when with the Packers. But as a WR? He was and continues to be non-existent. Now, the question becomes, was it a good idea to get rid of him? The Packers apparently decided they could do as well with another returner. Obviously, not true. But was this all a decision by Gutekunst? Did he ask for input from the ST's coach? Because that part of the game has been a liability this year. Not bad, but worse, an actual detriment to the team. It's past time to put some money into the ST coach and give some thought to who the team will keep, and whether they can be effective ST's players. So, should the Packers have kept Davis? Sure. But that is the tip of the proverbial ST's disaster nightmare the team has had for years now.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 09:55:36 AM »
Gute has made some terrific moves for the Packers but this is NOT one of them.   I am imagining that they had high hopes for Darrius Shepherd and thus Davis gets traded for a 6th round pick.  The only way to salvage the situation is to either coach up Shepherd who is now on the practice squad or pick very well next year in the 6th round.

Hard to say if this was a bad move.  On paper, probably.  Davis is a FA in 2020.  Is he worth doubling or tripling his salary based on his production as a WR?  No.  He was a 5th rd pick and you got a 6th rounder for a guy you probably weren't going to pay anyway.  Dont know that for sure, but I bet that was part of the thinking that went into the decision to trade him.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 10:02:02 AM by The GM »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 11:00:16 AM »
I heard from someone who said that ST's has been so focused on not allowing other teams to complete a fake punt type scenario, and also avoid penalties, that they have elected to not set up blocking schemes for any kind of returns. In other words, they have put any kind of punt return success squarely on the returner.

As a result, the ST's return units are ending up playing very timid, like walking on egg shells.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 12:43:55 PM »
Here are the 2019 ST's rankings through Week Nine from footballoutsiders. Oakland is #9, Packers #20.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst/2019

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 06:35:19 PM »
I ran into a guy in the grocery store a couple days ago, wearing a GB hat. He told me his daughter is Shepard's girlfriend.

He then went on to tell me that none of this was shepard's fault. A coach on the sideline told him it was clear so he should go, but he was hit and fumbled, but you see it was the coach's fault for telling him to go. And Aaron's pass was low and fast and that's why it wound up intercepted.

I stood there nodding and thinking, "He hasn't learned anything. It's all someone else's fault. He's just 'a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.'"

And as Dear Abby points out, victims have no power.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 06:45:04 PM »
Here are the 2019 ST's rankings through Week Nine from footballoutsiders. Oakland is #9, Packers #20.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst/2019

The never ending twisting to draw the wanted conclusion. The topic is the return game and ricky adds in the punter and place-kicker to the equation to make the ST's 20th. Good job you! I guess the return game is just fine, nothing to see here folks just keep moving.   

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 06:45:59 PM »
I ran into a guy in the grocery store a couple days ago, wearing a GB hat. He told me his daughter is Shepard's girlfriend.

He then went on to tell me that none of this was shepard's fault. A coach on the sideline told him it was clear so he should go, but he was hit and fumbled, but you see it was the coach's fault for telling him to go. And Aaron's pass was low and fast and that's why it wound up intercepted.

I stood there nodding and thinking, "He hasn't learned anything. It's all someone else's fault. He's just 'a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.'"

+1

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 07:58:10 PM »
The never ending twisting to draw the wanted conclusion. The topic is the return game and ricky adds in the punter and place-kicker to the equation to make the ST's 20th. Good job you! I guess the return game is just fine, nothing to see here folks just keep moving.

Never said the return game was "just fine". What I did was expand the blame to the entire ST's unit. They've been subpar for years, and this year is no different. And if Davis was on the Packers, the return game would probably be better. But overall, the ST's would still be substandard. In short, I agree with you that Davis is better than the returners the Packers have. As I stated earlier, "Should the Packers have kept Davis? Sure." What I then did was expand the topic to include the entire unit. Would spending more for a really good ST's coach help? Would adding some players who can actually tackle and block effectively, and follow the coaching schemes to limit the other team's players help? This team needs to take this more seriously. Until they do, they're going be a lost cause.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 05:40:06 AM »

Yah not the best attitude.  Coming from his woman so take it with a grain of salt.  He had plenty of chances.  It was clear he wasn't ready for prime time yet. 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 07:29:46 AM »

Yah not the best attitude.  Coming from his woman so take it with a grain of salt.  He had plenty of chances.  It was clear he wasn't ready for prime time yet.

This is info filtered through at least two people. And that makes it highly suspicious. If Shepard had gone on Twitter and said this, or posted it on Facebook or other social media, then definitely, this would be a problem. But if this is just his girlfriend defending 'her man' from criticism, that's entirely different. This is not for to doubt what Mark is relating, just that perhaps the context should be considered.