November 19, 2018, 10:05:14 AM

Author Topic: Can't win with Players>30, Can you?  (Read 9000 times)

Offline JimATX

• All Pro
Re: Can't win with Players>30, Can you?
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2013, 08:22:47 AM »
. Ted certainly has been successful and would be pursued madly by most of the league if he were available.

Think that would be the case if #12 does not fall in the draft. Me ?  No.

#12 like #4 has masked it's share of flaws in this team more than once

If AR does not drop to the Packers, Thompson and McCarthy likely don't move on from Favre after the '07 season and he possibly retires after '09 and there is no split Packers Nation.

Very good/elite QBs mask problems on every team... you just can't build a top to bottom all-pro team.

Love these sliding doors discussions.

Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2013, 09:45:59 AM »
. Ted certainly has been successful and would be pursued madly by most of the league if he were available.

Think that would be the case if #12 does not fall in the draft. Me ?  No.

#12 like #4 has masked it's share of flaws in this team more than once

If AR does not drop to the Packers, Thompson and McCarthy likely don't move on from Favre after the '07 season and he possibly retires after '09 and there is no split Packers Nation.

Very good/elite QBs mask problems on every team... you just can't build a top to bottom all-pro team.

Love these sliding doors discussions.

thumbsup) Good movie and great analogy.

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition."
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2013, 09:02:54 PM »
Diving into the deep end of FA is just not something Thompson does, yet we continue to have fans asking for him to do so. Draft and develop, and fill in with mid/low tier FA's.

He did dive in a little bit last offseason and the only guy to make the team was Saturday - I think - and he eventually got benched.  Too often there is a reason why a player is a FA = outrageous salary or being over the hill.

AldenRoche

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 06:57:36 AM »
Diving into the deep end of FA is just not something Thompson does, yet we continue to have fans asking for him to do so. Draft and develop, and fill in with mid/low tier FA's.

He did dive in a little bit last offseason and the only guy to make the team was Saturday - I think - and he eventually got benched.  Too often there is a reason why a player is a FA = outrageous salary or being over the hill.

TT may have dove into FA for him last offseason but in signing bums like Hargrove, Muir, and Merling -- none of whom sniffed the NFL after their brief and unproductive stints in GB, as well as the obviously over-the-hill Saturday he dove into a shallow puddle.

If that collection of stiffs is all TT is going to come up with when he "dives" into free agency I'd rather he keep scouting obscure college players because that group of FAs just plain stunk.

Online TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 09:56:59 AM »
I actually thougth Merling was a good sign......someone who had the right measurables for DE in this scheme.....he just didn't produce

I hope TT keeps trying

AldenRoche

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2013, 10:09:05 AM »
Merling at least played in what a regular season game or two -- more than can be said for Muir or Hargrove. And poor Saturday what an ignominious way to go out -- benched for a career backup, ouch. Anyway, Merling was just about as productive as Frank Walker or Anthony Smith were when TT signed them as FAs.

I just don't think TT has shown any genuine interest in free agency since he signed Woodson and Pickett back in 2006 (or maybe, just maybe, 2008 when Chillar was the big signing). The proof is in the lack of any veteran (as opposed to street/undrafted) free agents signed away from other teams since then. TT just has not done much of anything in free agency (at least nothing effectively) in the past 7 years.

Online TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2013, 10:27:40 AM »
I think that if TT would use FA as a tool to help the team it would be on the DL, especially for the DE position.

Guys around that 30 threshold can still play DL much better than the skill type guys

Chris Canty of the Giants at 6'7" 328 fits the DE on the left side to a "T". Played that spot for Dallas when drafted but signed with Giants to a DT in the 4-3. Gets a little push

But......and a big but....his salary was $6.5 with the Giants...not THAT good

AldenRoche

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2013, 10:57:09 AM »
I think that if TT would use FA as a tool to help the team it would be on the DL, especially for the DE position.

Guys around that 30 threshold can still play DL much better than the skill type guys

Chris Canty of the Giants at 6'7" 328 fits the DE on the left side to a "T". Played that spot for Dallas when drafted but signed with Giants to a DT in the 4-3. Gets a little push

But......and a big but....his salary was $6.5 with the Giants...not THAT good

Agree with everything you said above, Canty or even a Richard Seymour at a reasonable price might do a world of for our moribund DLine. And even if we use a 1st round pick on the DLine, everyone always says it takes a year or two at least before Dlineman make an impact.

Problem is, TT has not really used FA as a tool to help the team in 7 years and I don't see that changing now.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2013, 06:41:13 PM »
I think it would be hard to go big dollars in free agency with Rodgers' contract extension coming up. 

Even with New England, there are frequent comments on how they haven't surrounded Brady with enough other players, though I disagree with that.

Rodgers' contract will eat up so much cap space that we won't be able to keep all our own, so it would require finding a player who is definitely going to be better than what you already have, and worth the cap hit that goes with the signing. Look at some of the players being released- big names released for cap reasons only.  If they were willing to sign at a bargain price, they likely would have renegotiated with their team and not been cut.

The big selling point for Green Bay is the potential to get a super bowl ring.  I just don't know if that is enough to get a big name free agent to sign a cap friendly deal.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."