November 23, 2020, 10:57:18 AM

Author Topic: armchair mock #1  (Read 3238 times)

Offline armchair qb

• All Pro
armchair mock #1
« on: February 06, 2013, 08:00:58 AM »
Since player value is far from established this is obviously just for fun. 

1) Kevin Minter ILB LSU 6'2 245# Good size, good speed, good tackling.  We need them all.
2) Justin Hunter WR Tenn 6'4 200# Very good deep threat, something I think we're missing.  With James Jones going into his final year and the uncertainty of Jennings I think we pick a WR on day 2.
3) Mike Gillislee RB FLA 5'11 210# He's a playmaker with speed and solid blitz protection.  Also has decent power.
4a) Travis Kelce TE CIN 6'6, 260# Starting to love this guy.  Size, decent speed and good power.  Think he could develop into an all around TE.
4b) Zac Dysert QB Miami-OH 6'4, 228 A development qb with good experience and tools to work with.  He is instantly better than Harrel.
5) Brandon Williams NT/DT Missouri Southern 6'1, 340# interesting prospect who can push the pocket and has produced sacks.  Could develop and work into the rotation.
6) Travis Long OLB Wash St. 6'4 245# College experience in the 3/4, produced 9 sacks as an OLB for Wash St.
7) Joe Madsen OC WVU 6'3 305# Development OC project.  Good pass blocking, plays with some nastiness.  Unless we pick an OC early, no one will play over EDS.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
Re: armchair mock #1
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 10:17:11 AM »
I'd love to find a way to get those top 4 players on our roster.

Gillislee seems to be a great fit for our offense and I'm also starting to gravitate towards Kelce.

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 10:40:57 AM »
I'm digging the guys you drafted.  But I doubt highly that Brandon Williams is there in the 5'th.  May need to take him the 2'nd or early third to get him.

But again, I really liked the guys you picked.

Offline stillcrazee

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 10:46:22 AM »
Agree that it is early, but I have already dabbled in a few mocks of my own.

1) Kevin Minter ILB LSU 6'2 245# Good size, good speed, good tackling.  We need them all.    Agree with Minter.  The only way I would change is if a good D lineman fell, or we had a chance to take the 2nd WR in the draft.

2) Justin Hunter WR Tenn 6'4 200# Very good deep threat, something I think we're missing.  With James Jones going into his final year and the uncertainty of Jennings I think we pick a WR on day 2.    Agree if he is available.  Have read that Thompson likes Markus Wheaton from Oregon St.  More likely he is the WR taken here.
3) Mike Gillislee RB FLA 5'11 210# He's a playmaker with speed and solid blitz protection.  Also has decent power.  Agree with Gillislee.  Rumor has it that Thompson likes Christine Michael, but he is injury prone, so I would rather go with Gillislee.
4a) Travis Kelce TE CIN 6'6, 260# Starting to love this guy.  Size, decent speed and good power.  Think he could develop into an all around TE.  Very much doubt he is still available.  Saw a mock having him go to the Falcons in the 1st.  Don't believe that, but he is probably a late 2nd to 3rd round pick.
4b) Zac Dysert QB Miami-OH 6'4, 228 A development qb with good experience and tools to work with.  He is instantly better than Harrel.Have not seen Dysert, but between Harrell and Coleman, I think we should stand pat at QB.  We have other needs.
5) Brandon Williams NT/DT Missouri Southern 6'1, 340# interesting prospect who can push the pocket and has produced sacks.  Could develop and work into the rotation.He was in the senior bowl.  Didn't look special, but with his size and the fact that he has had some sacks in college, he won't be available in the 5th round.  Maybe Montori Hughes if we wait until the 5th to take a DT.
6) Travis Long OLB Wash St. 6'4 245# College experience in the 3/4, produced 9 sacks as an OLB for Wash St.
7) Joe Madsen OC WVU 6'3 305# Development OC project.  Good pass blocking, plays with some nastiness.  Unless we pick an OC early, no one will play over EDS.

Offline armchair qb

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 12:04:26 PM »
interesting comments.  I made the round predictions taking into account 4 different draft sites.  Just using them as guides.  Right now its tough to say where they will fall.  My experience with the draft, everybody is pretty much wrong when it comes to value.
Kelce, highest I saw was 3rd and lowest 5th although I think he is rising.
Brandon Williams, highest 3rd and lowest 6th

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 02:44:26 PM »

I liked your draft and had my thoughts which are similar to your....

Since player value is far from established this is obviously just for fun. 

1) Kevin Minter ILB LSU 6'2 245# Good size, good speed, good tackling.  We need them all.
I think Datone Jones falls and TT takes the length over Jesse Williams
2) Justin Hunter WR Tenn 6'4 200# Very good deep threat, something I think we're missing.  With James Jones going into his final year and the uncertainty of Jennings I think we pick a WR on day 2.
I see Quinton Patton falling in this spot.
3) Mike Gillislee RB FLA 5'11 210# He's a playmaker with speed and solid blitz protection.  Also has decent power.
TT trades up for Brandon Williams a Worthy clone
4a) Travis Kelce TE CIN 6'6, 260# Starting to love this guy.  Size, decent speed and good power.  Think he could develop into an all around TE.
Agree strong TE canidate.
4b) Zac Dysert QB Miami-OH 6'4, 228 A development qb with good experience and tools to work with.  He is instantly better than Harrel.
5) Brandon Williams NT/DT Missouri Southern 6'1, 340# interesting prospect who can push the pocket and has produced sacks.  Could develop and work into the rotation.
I see TT grab AJ Klein ILB from Iowa St.
Nice pick but maybe a OT development project w/ Keavon Milton LA Tech 6-4 and 280.... they make him a LT/LG
Like him but also maybe a FS from KS Bradley McDougald

Like I say...I was think very similar to you.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Dubz41

• All Pro
  • Government Cheese
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:12:10 PM »
I like the overall effect, Williams will go much higher though.

Would like to comment on the Dysert pick.  I LOVE IT!  This kid could make our roster AND provide intense competition for Coleman.
The Packers are where they are because of the QB play we've enjoyed for the last 20 years. Dysert has had some problems, but they are correctable!  He has shown very good accuracy on the move and he moves well.  Good size, good arm and there would be NO pressure.  He would have at least four years to develop and if Coleman develops also, then we have an excellent problem.  I do think this is the draft to grab another QB.  The comp pick is a great start. thumbsup)
It's not what he doesn't know that bothers me. It's what he knows for sure that just ain't so!-Will Rogers

Offline realitybytes

• All Pro
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 06:28:29 AM »
3) Mike Gillislee RB FLA 5'11 210# He's a playmaker with speed and solid blitz protection.  Also has decent power.  Agree with Gillislee.  Rumor has it that Thompson likes Christine Michael, but because he is injury prone, so I would rather go with Gillislee.

fixed it for you
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 06:36:20 AM »
Gillislee is also quicker to the LOS and faster than Michael. Another reason for his selection.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 11:27:57 AM »
I will say Christine Michael's youtube highlight video is incredibly impressive when compared to others' (and yes I know it is just a highlight video).  However, he also has some character issues according to CBSSportslines draft analysis giving Gillislee another check in his favor:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664173/christine-michael

Michael entered the 2012 season rated by some talent evaluators as the top senior running back in the country, but was nothing more than a reserve as a senior after landing in head coach Kevin Sumlin's doghouse due to some attitude issues. However, he did remain productive as the goal-line back with 12 rushing touchdowns.

STRENGTHS: He's quick to the hole, shows excellent vision for the cutback, possesses good acceleration and enough lateral agility to elude defenders. Sees would-be tacklers coming and breaks a lot of tackles with a nice spin move, as well as a strong stiff-arm. No stranger to the weight room, Michael runs low to the ground with good pad level and lateral agility to make strong cuts.

WEAKNESSES: History of injuries. Did not excel in pass protection during Shrine Game practices. Attitude and coachability questions.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 11:30:12 AM by ThatGuy284 »