October 19, 2020, 07:24:41 PM

Author Topic: Draft Talk/My Latest Mock  (Read 584 times)

Offline Mrleira1

• Rookie
Draft Talk/My Latest Mock
« on: April 18, 2020, 08:08:46 AM »
The draft is next week, and with the quarantined state we're in alot of the pro days were nixed which has muted some of the normal draft talk about sleepers/risers/overhyped prospects besides the QBs (that are always talked about too much smh).

I've been of the mindset that the prioritized positions for Green Bay going into this year's draft are as follows:

1) ILB-need a fast & athletic guy that can run sideline-to-sideline as well as cover besides being able to not be swallowed up by blockers in the run game

2) WR-need slippery pass catchers with speed to work the slot/middle of the field so that our only option there isn't Davante.

3) OT-some depth is necessary to supplement for letting Bulaga walk in FA; Wagner hopefully will hold up but more young players @ tackle a must

4) EDGE-position is stocked arguably the best on the squad outside of QB (because of #12) but a rookie 4th OLB to replace Fackrell would be nice

5) DB-we've got solid players on the backend but adding 2 the group is necessary, particularly 2 play nickelback role (especially if Tramon walks)

With that thought process, here's a 7-round mock draft I just came up with:

30: R1P30 LB KENNETH MURRAY OKLAHOMA-Stud backer. He's a missile. Can step in right away & start @ WILL alongside Kirksey as our new MIKE

62: R2P30 RB ANTONIO GIBSON MEMPHIS-4.39 40. Simply put, he'd be our new Ty Montgomery/create nice mismatches in the pass game for 12

94: R3P30 S JEREMY CHINN S. ILLINOIS-Getting him in the 3rd would be a STEAL. An upgrade from Raven Greene w/ability to be a moneybacker AND big nickel/actually cover pass catchers in the slot

136: R4P30 DL KHALIL DAVIS NEBRASKA-4.75 40. Mike Daniels 2.0 potential to wreak havoc as 3-tech/provide quality pass rush depth along D-Line

175: R5P29 OT CALVIN THROCKMORTON OREGON-Versatile player that can practically play any position along O-Line, including center

192: R6P13 OT COLTON MCKIVITZ WEST VIRGINIA-Rugged tackle prospect that ceiling might be as a Bryan Bulaga 2.0

208: R6P29 WR JAMES PROCHE SMU-Very nice, polished receiver prospect that runs routes well and catches in traffic. Plays bigger than his frame/could be groomed by 12 into another Donald Driver/Greg Jennings type wideout that provides group elevated explosiveness and depth it hasn't had in years

209: R6P30 EDGE TREVIS GIPSON TULSA-Another STEAL. Still raw but showed production at Group of 5 CFB level. Ideal 4th OLB

236: R7P22 CB KINDLE VILDOR GEORGIA SOUTHERN-4.4 40 speed good instincts & not shy of contact. Could become steady nickel corner

242: R7P28 WR JOHN HIGHTOWER BOISE STATE-Playmaker out of MWC gets open deep; drafting him ensures TC is war of attrition for WO group

*Note: I personally am enamored with Lynn Bowden Jr. out of Kentucky, but in order to get Jeremy Chinn and Khalil Davis, 2 defenders with alot of upside, along with selecting decent offensive line prospects later in the draft I had to pass him up. With Chinn and Vildor I think we'd be shoring up the nickelback role from both the safety and corner positions (therefore bringing back Tramon is a luxury not a need) so that Pettine is given the flexibility he needs to run nickel as a base defense and have a formidable dime package.*

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 08:57:09 AM by Mrleira1 »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Draft Talk/My Latest Mock
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 08:21:28 AM »
Nice dream of getting Murray at #30. It won't happen. But waiting until that late to draft a WR is nuts. And a RB in the second round? Nope. A safety in the third? Double nope. Going heavily on the OL is good, but it seems your priorities are skewed.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Mrleira1

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 08:28:36 AM »
Murray may be there at 30. He's mocked in the mid 20s mostly and there's always guys like him that are mocked at 21 that end up picked at like 40-50 every year. FYI, I'm drafting Gibson not as a RB only. He is a RB/WR/KR/PR prospect-a gamebreaker mismatch nightmare for a smart offensive coaching staff to utilize as a weapon. He's an extension of the WR group even if he potentially would be on the roster listed as the #3 RB. Plus, this year's WR class is LOADED. The wise thing for Green Bay to do would be to wait until later to get some solid wideouts while plucking some talented players at other positions of importance...

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 12:30:38 PM »
I would be surprised if the Packers would take Murray or Queen even if they were there at 30. The Packers require the ILB to stand it there and take on blocks and shed blocks and clean up the garbage. Neither Murray or Queen fit that mold, they will have a much higher value to a team that has a DL that eats up blockers and allows the LB's to stay clean. All you have to do is watch the BCS to see how poorly Murray handles taking on  blocks, he spent a good part of the LSU game on the ground and that just can't happen if you are a LB in Pettine's defense.

Online bmaafi

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 04:18:19 PM »
Highly doubtful chinn is there in the late 3rd. No way in hell Hightower slips to the 7th even with how deep the class is. He's looking more like 3rd-4th range. Thockmorton doesn't fit the athletic profile that GB goes for in their oline. Vildor is probably too short for the Packers and he probably won't slip to the 7th. Love Murray and Gibson though. Like Gipson as well.

Offline rock county

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 06:15:34 PM »
62: R2P30 RB ANTONIO GIBSON MEMPHIS-4.39 40. Simply put, he'd be our new Ty Montgomery/create nice mismatches in the pass game for 12

Please never mention the Ty Mont-"I'm really trying to find a place on this team, so I'm gonna return this Kickoff"-gomery again.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 06:19:14 PM by rock county »

Offline rock county

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 06:17:44 PM »
I like rounds 4-7