December 01, 2020, 12:50:11 AM

Author Topic: Receivers  (Read 4133 times)

Offline LaSeeno

• All Pro
Re: Receivers
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2020, 09:56:46 AM »
With how this season has gone with injuries and watching this years WR class do big things.  I’m officially dissapointed with the Packers decisions in rounds 1 and 2.

Online bmaafi

• All Pro
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2020, 11:19:06 PM »
I don't see how anyone could have seen the injuries and opt out coming that far out. If Funchess doesn't opt out and Adams  and Lazard don't get injured the WR corp looks pretty darn good. Don't be surprised if they take one WR in the 1st three rounds(probably 2nd or 3rd) in the upcoming draft.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2020, 09:10:26 AM »
With how this season has gone with injuries and watching this years WR class do big things.  I’m officially dissapointed with the Packers decisions in rounds 1 and 2.

You did look to see which receivers were available for the Packers to pick (in rounds 1&2) when their turn came, didn't you ?  Gutekunst did say the Packers wanted a receiver but the board just didn't fall right - would you rather they reached for poor value just to get a WR.

This sounds to me like you just didn't like the positions picked because your own agenda was to take a WR, rather than the Packers not getting value at the pick (and its too early to say they didn't). As for the injuries at WR (and Funchess sitting out the season), that's pure 20/20 rearview vision.

Maybe you should downgrade your disappointment to 'unofficially disappointed'  :D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 09:12:42 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2020, 03:49:37 PM »
I don't see how anyone could have seen the injuries and opt out coming that far out. If Funchess doesn't opt out and Adams  and Lazard don't get injured the WR corp looks pretty darn good. Don't be surprised if they take one WR in the 1st three rounds(probably 2nd or 3rd) in the upcoming draft.

That will likely depend on the quality of the talent at the time.  Could I see Gute not taking a WR in the first 3 rds.  Absolutely.  Its pretty tough to predict what he'll do even when he's on the clock and you know who is gone.

Online bmaafi

• All Pro
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2020, 02:42:25 AM »

That will likely depend on the quality of the talent at the time.  Could I see Gute not taking a WR in the first 3 rds.  Absolutely.  Its pretty tough to predict what he'll do even when he's on the clock and you know who is gone.

well what I have noticed from Gute so far is he likes to hedge his bets so to speak. He likes to invest into a position a year ahead of there being some upcoming free agents at that position. He's got some FA's coming up on the interior this coming offseason(Taylor, Linsley, and Turner could be let go, also Patrick will be on the last year of his deal in '21). He drafted Dillon with Jones and Williams being FAs this coming offseason as well. Davante will be a FA after the '21 season. Also MVS and EQ will be UFAs as well. So it may not be a certainty, but I will say its highly likely.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2020, 06:47:59 PM »
So, what if they can't strike a deal to extend Bakhtiari?
Does a WR still supercede finding a top flite LT?

And you want to know why Davante was ticked off about not being allowed to play this last week?

It's because the Packers are 6-0 without him in the lineup under MLF and his offense.
Davante is beginning to realize that he's losing leverage with MLF/Gute regarding a mega-mega contract extension after this next season.
MLF has proven that he doesn't need a $100M franchise financial back breaking WR to make this offense succeed.
But he does need guys that fit his offense. Big bodied WR's like Lazard who excel at blocking. And especially versatile RB's like Jones and Williams who can both run and catch.

Will they draft a WR next year? I will guess yes, BUT.........not before the 3rd or 4th rounds.

OT, DL, possibly CB early on in the draft, for me.
All three could possibly be higher on the priority list than a WR.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2020, 10:58:03 PM »
Bakhtiari was drafted by the Packers in the fourth round. Linsley in the fifth. As always, it's not where a guy is drafted, or even if he's drafted- see Lazard, Allen- but what they can do once they're on the field in real games. Go for BPA and stock up with players at the position, and let the coaches help develop the players.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2020, 03:03:50 AM »
Bakhtiari was drafted by the Packers in the fourth round. Linsley in the fifth. As always, it's not where a guy is drafted, or even if he's drafted- see Lazard, Allen- but what they can do once they're on the field in real games. Go for BPA and stock up with players at the position, and let the coaches help develop the players.

While all teams must (and do) pay attention to weaknesses in their squad at draft time, there are usually enough needs that a team can make a decent compromise between needs and BPA. Of course what fans consider needs are not always what the HC and GM think (see this years draft, for example). As long as a team has BPA as a strong part of the overall evaluation, there shouldn't be many reaches...................only mis-evaluations that others might call a reach and sometimes correct evaluations using a higher draft slot (than other draftniks expect) on a guy who they think is a great scheme fit on them.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online bmaafi

• All Pro
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2020, 10:19:01 PM »

While all teams must (and do) pay attention to weaknesses in their squad at draft time, there are usually enough needs that a team can make a decent compromise between needs and BPA. Of course what fans consider needs are not always what the HC and GM think (see this years draft, for example). As long as a team has BPA as a strong part of the overall evaluation, there shouldn't be many reaches...................only mis-evaluations that others might call a reach and sometimes correct evaluations using a higher draft slot (than other draftniks expect) on a guy who they think is a great scheme fit on them.

Agreed. The best drafting teams marry BPA and need in the earlier rounds. Also need to look at how the GM has approached the draft in previous drafts. You need a good 4-5 drafts though to get a good sense of his MO. Thats why looking at Guteys previous drafts I feel like we will probably see at least one WR drafted between 2nd-4th round and a possibility of more than one. I can gurantee they take at least one OL next year just depends on what happens in FA and what their plans are as far as what position. Are they keeping Jenkins at guard or move him to RT? keep or cut Turner? if they do keep him play him at RG or RT? those questions are still unsettled at this time. It is early though so we will have a better idea come draft time of the teams needs and where it looks like they are lining up.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2020, 09:12:20 AM »
Fans seem to refuse to idea that the Packers are just going to draft the best player on their board, period. I think even Gutes gets tired of the second guessing from all the people that hold their fictional PHD's in fantasy football roster building. This is a quote from an interview he did with Kevin Clark of The Ringer, “I think it’s the world we live in, an instant gratification world. With fantasy football and things like that, people think that’s kind of how you build teams, and that’s not necessarily the way we’ve done things here."

Here a link to the article for anyone who might be interested.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/10/16/21518968/green-bay-packers-aaron-rodgers-matt-lafleur-nfc-north-trust-process   

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2020, 12:06:57 PM »
There were plenty of wide receivers in rds 1-5 to draft, we didn't draft any!  We also neglected drafting a few speedy LB's.  Ultimately, Gute and Lafleur will be held accountable for this mistake.  Our WR's were weak going into last season.  Nothing has changed since then. Oh yeah, we had more injuries at the position this year again.  Hopkins and the kid from Canada were not going to help this weak set of WR's! Accountability, accountability, accountability. This year appears to be a repeat of last year.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2020, 03:11:15 PM »
Get wiped out in a game, and suddenly everyone is a critic, the ship is sinking, and the Packers are going nowhere. It happens. How the team plays after this debacle is more important than complaining about woulda/coulda/shoulda. Time to replace Pettine, that seems to be something that needs to be done right after this season is over. No matter how far the Packers go this year.

Found this after posting. It tells an important story: a defense that doesn't pressure, a few guys who all had career years at the same time (the Smith brothers, in particular) who are now returning to normal; and suddenly, things are falling apart. Meanwhile, the offensive schemes didn't look like they had in past weeks- it seemed they were planning on protecting Rodgers at all costs rather than trying to move the ball downfield efficiently, and they failed in both.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/defensive-pressure-playmaking-has-taken-a-step-back-120
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 03:18:39 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2020, 04:44:33 AM »
Everybody wanted us to draft a receiver. The problem  with this logic is Rodgers wouldn't throw to the rookie. He has done this over his career many times. Now picking up a vet  that is going to be cut  could be the plan.

I think the issue is with the WRs they've had chances to draft or have drafted aren't ready. Being a perennial playoff contender doesn't often lead to drafting year 1 starters at any position.

They also, consequently, have Davante Adams taking the lion's share of targets. So, even if they did get their hands on a blue chip WR in the draft they're not going to get a ton of looks.

I still think they were right to not draft a WR early last year. Would I have made the move for Love? No, but it could end up being a really smart move. I also think the cost of trading up for a WR would have been too much; maybe Justin Jefferson? Trading back would have been okay I guess; Chase Claypool?

Outside of DK Metcalf I haven't been sold on WRs available to them in the draft. Sure, they got Elgton Jenkins, but they could of had  :'( :'( :'( Metcalf :'( :'( :'(.

It's fair to be critical of the decision with injuries and depth in mind. However, guys like Lazard showed they weren't crazy not drafting a WR early. You have to trust your program and player development, and LaFluer's scheme has proven to not need much at skill positions to be productive.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 04:50:08 AM by claymaker »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2020, 12:06:18 PM »

They also, consequently, have Davante Adams taking the lion's share of targets. So, even if they did get their hands on a blue chip WR in the draft they're not going to get a ton of looks.

I still think they were right to not draft a WR early last year. Would I have made the move for Love? No, but it could end up being a really smart move. I also think the cost of trading up for a WR would have been too much; maybe Justin Jefferson? Trading back would have been okay I guess; Chase Claypool?

You sort of answered your own question here clay.

Justin Jefferson is showing that a rookie WR CAN make a significant impact in their rookie year, IF the QB is willing to give him targets.

Jefferson, obviously, earned the trust/confidence of his QB and coaches fairly early in the process.

So the question still remains.

Is it the Packers WR's?
Or is it the Packers QB?

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2020, 04:36:44 PM »

You sort of answered your own question here clay.

Justin Jefferson is showing that a rookie WR CAN make a significant impact in their rookie year, IF the QB is willing to give him targets.

Jefferson, obviously, earned the trust/confidence of his QB and coaches fairly early in the process.

So the question still remains.

Is it the Packers WR's?
Or is it the Packers QB?

A couple of points:

The Packers success with Adams out and spreading the ball around is how I believe MLF wants his offense ran. 

I think Rodgers lack of spreading the ball around and tunnelvision to Adams was a small part in drafting Love. 

Cant argue with the success of either style.  Rodgers is having a great year.