October 25, 2020, 07:18:52 AM

Author Topic: Kenosha police shooting  (Read 1371 times)

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
Re: Kenosha police shooting
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2020, 01:23:12 PM »
As of this writing I'm planning on watching the Packers when they're on, because I've followed them my whole life.  That may change, we'll see how it goes.
But I can't remember when I've had less enthusiasm for a season.  If they were to cancel the season tomorrow, I wouldn't care one whit.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2020, 01:43:06 PM »
I think it harms the integrity of the game.  A lot of NBA players said they didn't go into the bubble because of basketball, they went there to use their platform to speak on social issues.  Then when there was a police shooting, some wanted to boycott playoff games, and some wanted to cancel the rest of the season.  If they don't care about the NBA title, why should I?  Are we going to have football teams forfeit games if there is an incident?  Just do us a favor and cancel the whole season if it's all about politics.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2020, 03:17:40 PM »
Educate yourself. Go outside your comfort zone and try to see things from another perspective.
That goes both ways, you know.  I respect your posts because you try to use reason for your positions and don't resort to insults.  But here you seem to be implying that if we disagree with what the NFL is doing, then that means we are uneducated and unwilling to see things from other perspectives.  This seems to be a common theme among people arguing your position.  Has it occurred to you that someone may have actually considered the issue and come to a different conclusion? 

There are many black people also who are tiring of the identity politics and victim/oppressor mentality.  They are a minority, admittedly, but they are a growing minority.  As for the NFL, I would have hoped that they would have learned something from the NBA, but it doesn't appear that they have.

I was aware that my post might sound condescending. It wasn't meant to be. It was more of a plea. There is a long, sordid history of overt racism in the US. And we need to address the issue. And, yes, I do go outside my comfort zone. And when I read other opinions, my preferred site being the RealClearPolitics, I try to keep an open mind. And so, yes, I have considered other opinions, and still maintain my own, formed over just over 70 years. Have others come to different conclusions? Of course. But I've stated it before, and I'll repeat it. This is going to be a very tough election. Because no matter the winner, there are going to be a lot of people who are going to be very upset with the outcome. And there are many people who are heavily armed, and are more than willing to appear in camouflage, carrying military grade weaponry, who will be demanding that their candidate won, and that any other outcome is a fraud. That message is being broadcast loud and clear at this point. And there is an ongoing movement to slow down the mail system, and state legislatures are attempting to make it more difficult for people to vote through that venue. I know, the immediate reaction will be "Antifa; radicals; looting and burning." I won't defend any of that, because it's indefensible. But those actions don't prevent people from exercising the right to vote. I also appreciate that although we may disagree, we have done so in a respectful manner. And if I came across as condescending, it wasn't on purpose. I just happen to believe, as a retired teacher, that education can be the route to understanding.

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2020, 09:49:44 PM »
The NFL has been sending conflicting messages over the years.  A couple of years ago the Cowboys wanted to put stickers on their helmets for the 5 police officers shot in Dallas.  Great cause,  I understood why the NFL said no, because  then it opens the door for every organization to ask the NFL to put THEIR stickers on the helmets.  Now,  a few years later Goodell is turning these games into a BLM rally with a football game in the middle with support, signs, songs, end zone mottos.  I'll watch the Packers, but thats it.  BLM has turned into something much different and the violence sends the wrong message.  I get the NFLs intent but its a really bad look. JMO.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2020, 10:10:04 PM »
I understood why the NFL said no, because  then it opens the door for every organization to ask the NFL to put THEIR stickers on the helmets.  Now, a few years later Goodell is turning these games into a BLM rally with a football game in the middle with support, signs, songs, end zone mottos.
Reports are that Jaguars TE Tyler Eifert is going to wear David Dorn's name on his helmet.  Dorn was a retired police officer who was killed in the riots checking on a burglar alarm.  I am very, very surprised the NFL is going to allow this (if they do) because it doesn't fit with the woke narrative.  Maybe the only reason they are allowing it is because Dorn is black?  I just wonder if teams are going to make Eifert a target because his political message doesn't necessarily fit the same narrative the others are sending?  Just one more reason to keep politics off the field, IMO.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2020, 06:29:53 AM »
I'll see what the teams do. If BLM is put up on a pedestal and players are kneeling, that will be it. I'll read what happened, don't need to watch. I seriously doubt the NFL really cares about viewers this year.
There aren't a lot of things I can do, but I have been looking at trading in my car. I'll watch which car company advertises the most during the game and pick another brand. I will tell them why, know it won't matter, but I'll move on. It will give me more time to enjoy those pretty Sunday afternoons.

I'll post from time to time, but it probably won't be first hand information. I hope I'm wrong, but think this racism shown by the players is cast in stone.

On a side not, ricky, RealClearPolitics is a pretty good site to get informed as well as Just The News. I still want to know if you are referring to our long ties of racism need to be addressed or what is happening now? I think those two items are separate and not very equal. The election will be very ugly, but my take is this...who ever wins is going to find that the national debt that has occurred over the past 20 years, especially during our most recent lock-down, will put a crimp in our countries future.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2020, 08:02:09 AM »
On a side not, ricky, RealClearPolitics is a pretty good site to get informed as well as Just The News. I still want to know if you are referring to our long ties of racism need to be addressed or what is happening now? I think those two items are separate and not very equal. The election will be very ugly, but my take is this...who ever wins is going to find that the national debt that has occurred over the past 20 years, especially during our most recent lock-down, will put a crimp in our countries future.

I think the past influences the present. So, I think racism was and is still a problem that needs to be addressed. This won't be comfortable. And as far as the election getting ugly, just wait. Because if someone declares themselves the winner before all the ballots are counted (which is practically guaranteed), and encourages people to "stop them from stealing this election" (which seems very likely), expect there to be heavily armed people trying to prevent all the ballots from being counted. Same thing that happened in 2000, but instead of lawyers, it'll be guys in camouflage with military grade weaponry, demanding that the "fake" ballots not be counted. As far as the debt goes, as long as a Republican is in office, it won't matter. Never does, until a Democrat is elected, then suddenly we have to go after social programs with a meat ax, while increasing the extremely bloated military budget. Anyway. The first game is Thursday, KC v Texans. I'll probably watch. And if the broadcast outlets decide to show the fans, rather than players kneeling on the field, fine with me. Time to get ready for some football. Which is why I have been posting so many football topics. We have a choice.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2020, 08:41:13 AM »
Reading the last couple of days here and Bravo to you Hands, you absolutely knocked it out of the park.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2020, 11:51:16 AM »
RT, not sure it was my intent but thank you for the response. My Dad was from AL. so you can imagine his make up, but he taught us that the color of a person's skin has no indication of his character. He was a war hero in WWII and Korea and I grew up as an Army brat. He was tough but fair. Through him and my Mom  they never let us see racism in their actions.
Between them and my own engineering thought process...I take a critical view of events not as what one says but what one does. Not always right, but try to separate BS from fact.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!