October 25, 2020, 07:12:52 AM

Author Topic: Protests during the National Anthem  (Read 4928 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Protests during the National Anthem
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2020, 05:45:30 AM »
Here is something found when you google the site name:

CityLab Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that align with left.

And since it has a left bias I guess it is not even worth linking too. Is that how it works ricky? Like you discrediting a site because it might have a right bias and not even bother to open it to view the content.

The ricky quote, ' This is the problem. We don't watch the same programs; we don't listen to the same commentators; we don't talk to each other. We take our stands, gather the facts that we believe will support our position, and ignore anything that might shake our core beliefs. Now, of course, this is only the Left that does this; the Right are logical, sensible and carefully consider all viewpoints before taking a stand'. Kind of a hypocrite don't you think.

Hypocrite? Hardly. I saw the article and linked to it, because it was very careful to point out that Camden is more of an experiment in progress than a definitive answer. I googled the name, and Citylab was originally affiliated with The Atlantic, but was purchased by Bloomburg. So, yes, a Left political bias. But they also seemed to be careful to make the article nuanced. So, absolutely, as with anything, take it in with an eye toward pushing an agenda, or bias, or just plain being wrong. Try to have an open mind, but always treat anything political as if you're dealing with a used car salesman.

As for the article, it is nice to see an example of reform that is working and can give other cities something to work off of. Now if we could get some reform to the public educational system and put an end to the bigotry that is being pushed on the young we would will have a chance at real change for the coming generations.

Beautifully stated. This would be a titanic undertaking; but the last two words in American are "I can". The problem is that this sort of introspection has occurred repeatedly, and we fall back into the easy, comfortable path of denial and "not me" that prevents real change.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2020, 06:13:47 AM »
Part 1 of new video, clear trouble getting him in car. 

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1270253260201275392?s=20
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 06:24:39 AM by The GM »

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2020, 06:21:02 AM »
Part 2, video cuts short of what happened in car (Imagine that from the liberal media).  Police body cams could show what happened if released.

They ended up pulling him out of the car on the passenger side and onto the ground.

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1270253262105542656?s=20
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 06:41:06 AM by The GM »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2020, 06:40:13 AM »
GM, these are relatively old videos. They were part of a longer video that I posted twice. It shows it more clearly, but Floyd was being uncooperative after being compliant earlier. Definitely, release the body cam footage.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2020, 06:48:32 AM »
GM, these are relatively old videos. They were part of a longer video that I posted twice. It shows it more clearly, but Floyd was being uncooperative after being compliant earlier. Definitely, release the body cam footage.

I saw the video of the initial arrest you posted, that cut off when they walked  him to the car.  Did yours have the footage of getting him in the car?

Offline Premontre1969

• Starter
« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2020, 07:20:59 PM »
 I’m afraid that some players will kneel during the anthem from now on. They’ve convinced themselves that it gets headlines and will want the same attention the media has lavished on Kaepernick.

I think it’s time the NFL does the anthem in the pre-game show, before the players take the field. Don’t give them the opportunity to create the distraction.

What do you think?

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2020, 08:05:48 PM »
I’m afraid that some players will kneel during the anthem from now on. They’ve convinced themselves that it gets headlines and will want the same attention the media has lavished on Kaepernick.

I think it’s time the NFL does the anthem in the pre-game show, before the players take the field. Don’t give them the opportunity to create the distraction.

What do you think?

Agree, I think the league will try it with kneeling the first few weeks, and depending on the backlash will
A: Not do the Anthem at all
B.  Do it with the players in the lockerroom
C.  If you come out for the anthem, you must stand otherwise stay in until its over.

There's going to be somebody who insists on coming out and kneeling as a stunt.  That's where the Color Guard rifles come into play.

Offline Minny Packer Fan

• Rookie
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2020, 08:18:39 PM »
I lurk here a lot but rarely post.  I enjoy the back and forth on some of these issues we face.  I want to add when your discussing the accused there is one fundamental right that I and everyone should hold dear:

A key principle of the American criminal justice system is that a defendant accused of a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. This protection comes from the due process guarantees in the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments of the U.S. Constitution.

Everyone deserves this right.  While people can argue about what they see on a video or what they heard from a prosecutor or a TV anchor, this bedrock principle of our country is so important, especially right now.

Before judging, let all the evidence be presented and then and only then judge.  Many people seem to have forgotten this principle in this era of rush to judgment.  I doubt any of us has seen all the evidence and we certainly at this point cannot pretend to know the intentions of the accused.  Our society depends on this right.  I live in the Minneapolis area and I still have confidence that our justice system can work.  Patience and an open mind to hear all the facts are required right now as this is very important to the family and friends of the deceased, the people of Minneapolis, and the accused.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2020, 10:21:08 PM »

What do you think?

This was how it was done until a few years ago. Then, the NFL decided the players should be on the field for some reason. Quite possibly a quid pro quo for getting the "free" flyovers and military color guards to assist in the pregame ceremonies. So, let the players warm up, return to the locker room until after the ceremonies, just like they did for years. Here is a link, if anyone cares to read it:

https://people.com/politics/nfl-players-national-anthem-2009-government-payments/

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2020, 10:24:15 PM »
I lurk here a lot but rarely post.  I enjoy the back and forth on some of these issues we face.  I want to add when your discussing the accused there is one fundamental right that I and everyone should hold dear:

A key principle of the American criminal justice system is that a defendant accused of a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. This protection comes from the due process guarantees in the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments of the U.S. Constitution.

Everyone deserves this right.  While people can argue about what they see on a video or what they heard from a prosecutor or a TV anchor, this bedrock principle of our country is so important, especially right now.

Before judging, let all the evidence be presented and then and only then judge.  Many people seem to have forgotten this principle in this era of rush to judgment.  I doubt any of us has seen all the evidence and we certainly at this point cannot pretend to know the intentions of the accused.  Our society depends on this right.  I live in the Minneapolis area and I still have confidence that our justice system can work.  Patience and an open mind to hear all the facts are required right now as this is very important to the family and friends of the deceased, the people of Minneapolis, and the accused.

Of course the accused should be given their day in court. If you could point out who said they shouldn't, please provide their poster name and quote them directly, or cut/paste the post that denies these rights. And recall that George Floyd also should have had those rights if he were still alive.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2020, 12:40:31 AM »

Thanks for the reminder Minny Packer fan, the court of public opinion certainly has him guilty already. If he has a good lawyer he will probably do no time and they will attempt to burn the city to the ground again. The troubles in Minneapolis are far from over.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2020, 06:48:22 AM »
Probably going to have to move this trial somewhere else.  Finding an impartial jury will be tough and you dont want them  traveling through what looks like a boarded up war zone to get to trial every day. Due to the media coverage you are probably going to have to sequester the jury.  We'll see, if they dont make a deal, this trial could take some time.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 07:00:53 AM by The GM »

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2020, 02:56:20 AM »
While the racial element to the treatment of Floyd is what the public has latched onto, it is not the only element.

What tends to be forgotten is that regardless of race this is unacceptable treatment of a person.

I was shocked at the TV footage of this, not because Floyd was black, but because it was one person killing another person.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 02:58:56 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2020, 09:43:43 AM »
Just heard that the CDC and WHO both came out and said Floyd died of Covid-19....so there won't  be a trial....
just kidding on a Monday morning. Actually we have had several deaths/homicides in either Dallas or Houston that were blamed on the Wuhan virus...
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2020, 10:50:30 AM »
Just heard that the CDC and WHO both came out and said Floyd died of Covid-19....so there won't  be a trial....
just kidding on a Monday morning. Actually we have had several deaths/homicides in either Dallas or Houston that were blamed on the Wuhan virus...

You live in Texas too? We're in the RGV. And yes, Covid cases are on the rise as the lockdown eases. Why? Because people refuse to take precautions. Go the grocery store, and about half the people shopping aren't masked. We went to South Padre for a few days once it re-opened, and we, along with the staff of the hotel we were at, were the only ones wearing masks. If this was only a matter of personal preference- such as not wearing a seat belt- I'd be fine with it. But you can infect others; there is no cure; and the death rate is pegged at over 5% (from RealClearPolitics). This rises very quickly with age- and we're both retired. So I get a little testy when others want to impose extend their idea of personal freedom to "I don't care if I infect you". Or as Ken Paxton, the Texas AG said, if you're old, you should be willing to die to keep the economy going. I'm hoping he'll lead by example, the sooner the better.