October 25, 2020, 06:39:17 AM

Author Topic: Protests during the National Anthem  (Read 4927 times)

Offline Premontre1969

• Starter
Re: Protests during the National Anthem - Police Unions
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2020, 04:46:40 PM »
Police Union’s

We hear lots of talk about the big Pharma lobby in Washington but the police union’s lobby is every bit as powerful. They now have the Democratic side refusing to allow Policeman decertification’s into the pending legislation. Even if a policeman has a record of abuse and complaints the police union will not accept this positive and needed managerial tool.

Do the players really want to effect real change or do they just want to be politically correct on the surface and grandstand on the field for personal glorification? If they want real change I implore them to take a stand against the police union lobby in Washington. Are they even paying attention? Come on NFL, let's hear you too.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 04:55:14 PM by Premontre1969 »

Offline Premontre1969

• Starter
Re: Protests during the National Anthem
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2020, 09:07:47 PM »
I’m also questioning the sincerity of protesters. If you really want change make your voice heard by your Congressman. Both of the recent shootings of black men were committed by police officers with mulitple complaints on their record. Proposed legislation would end police immunity or allow managers to decertify a bad cop.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/06/14/us/14reuters-minneapolis-police-congress.html

If you’re not making a poltical effort I discount your sincerity. Take the next step and express your support directly to your Congressman.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 10:15:48 PM by Premontre1969 »

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2020, 06:29:56 AM »
Just heard that the CDC and WHO both came out and said Floyd died of Covid-19....so there won't  be a trial....
just kidding on a Monday morning. Actually we have had several deaths/homicides in either Dallas or Houston that were blamed on the Wuhan virus...

You live in Texas too? We're in the RGV. And yes, Covid cases are on the rise as the lockdown eases. Why? Because people refuse to take precautions. Go the grocery store, and about half the people shopping aren't masked. We went to South Padre for a few days once it re-opened, and we, along with the staff of the hotel we were at, were the only ones wearing masks. If this was only a matter of personal preference- such as not wearing a seat belt- I'd be fine with it. But you can infect others; there is no cure; and the death rate is pegged at over 5% (from RealClearPolitics). This rises very quickly with age- and we're both retired. So I get a little testy when others want to impose extend their idea of personal freedom to "I don't care if I infect you". Or as Ken Paxton, the Texas AG said, if you're old, you should be willing to die to keep the economy going. I'm hoping he'll lead by example, the sooner the better.
Ricky, you're a valley guy...how about that. Live in McKinney and love South Padre. Actually it was our Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick who said that.
My daughter-in-law has a sister in Dallas that leans to the left. She's a pathologist and said the positive numbers are due to the large number of testing they are doing. She said the key is hospitalizations and if they are increasing. She doesn't wear a mask around me but does going to stores.
Ricky, we're also similar ages. We are the vulnerable ones so yes we are going to wear mask for a while until this settles down.
Paxton's from McKinney. Funny thing....his wife is really the political star of that family. Talking to Ken when I see him in our grocery store, which is often, you figure he's a smart guy. Talk to his wife and you think....future Gov or Senator. Whole different level of smarts.
Anyway stay safe we are the ones that are vulnerable have to protect ourselves.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2020, 10:24:32 AM »
Hands, yep, we moved here about 26 years ago after getting recruited for teaching jobs, and never left. Anyway, you're right about it not being Paxton, but Patrick. And you're also correct about hospitalizations being the gold standard of Covid increases. And Texas is indeed seeing higher hospitalization numbers, I believe, due to people just not being careful. We can't control what others do, just try to minimize the risk for us and those around us: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-coronavirus-highest-day-hospitalized-patients/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2020, 04:25:27 PM »
We moved to Dallas area from Greenville SC about 24 years ago. At my wife's 60th birthday party a close friend and native Texan gave her a plaque saying she was now a true Texan. He has since past on but she has that plaque up and tells everyone how proud she is of it.
Where are you from originally?
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #140 on: June 17, 2020, 06:45:26 PM »
We moved to Dallas area from Greenville SC about 24 years ago. At my wife's 60th birthday party a close friend and native Texan gave her a plaque saying she was now a true Texan. He has since past on but she has that plaque up and tells everyone how proud she is of it.
Where are you from originally?

Sheboygan, Wisconsin. Halfway between Milwaukee and Green Bay on Lake Michigan. Hated the winters. Grew up in a house on a corner with a two car garage. And a lot of snowy winters. And the snow plows came around several times, pushing the snow further and further back, so you had to shovel out the driveway three-four times after a big snowfall. I'll take the occasional hurricane anytime, thanks.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2020, 02:13:20 PM »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2020, 03:17:23 PM »
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/02/report-nfl-to-play-black-national-anthem-before-season-openers/

sooo, are they kneeling for this one too??   

Interesting question. We'll see. By the way, has anyone ever heard of this anthem before this? Here is something from the NAACP (perhaps they should re-think the name of this organization; after all "Colored People" seems a bit dated; maybe they could be the NAAPC (People of Color)?  :P

https://www.naacp.org/naacp-history-lift-evry-voice-and-sing/

Offline redfox33

• Rookie
« Reply #143 on: September 14, 2020, 06:53:57 AM »
I served under my country as is my grandson now. My brother died serving in nam. He got cancer from repeat agent orange and died. His last response was he fought for freedom and honored the American Flag, and he is dyeing a free man. I live in MN and when the team refused to honor the flag it was a slap in my brothers face as if he was wrong. After wiping the tears away i could not watch the game. As one of the owners i feel disgraced and shamed. Its just not right for any reason.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #144 on: September 14, 2020, 12:49:16 PM »
I served under my country as is my grandson now. My brother died serving in nam. He got cancer from repeat agent orange and died. His last response was he fought for freedom and honored the American Flag, and he is dyeing a free man. I live in MN and when the team refused to honor the flag it was a slap in my brothers face as if he was wrong. After wiping the tears away i could not watch the game. As one of the owners i feel disgraced and shamed. Its just not right for any reason.

First and foremost, Thank you for your service.  Keep your head up and ride this out.   There are millions of people that feel the same way.  TV numbers are down and rightfully so.  I understand what the NFL is targeting, and its good.  The method is the problem.  I think the "End Racism" slogan is much more effective than BLM because that has turned into something I dont think even the NFL expected.  JMO.

Offline Minny Packer Fan

• Rookie
« Reply #145 on: September 14, 2020, 03:18:04 PM »

First and foremost, Thank you for your service.  Keep your head up and ride this out.   There are millions of people that feel the same way.  TV numbers are down and rightfully so.  I understand what the NFL is targeting, and its good.  The method is the problem.  I think the "End Racism" slogan is much more effective than BLM because that has turned into something I dont think even the NFL expected.  JMO.

I agree that the "End Racism" slogan may be a more effective approach than BLM.  I think everybody supports the notion that Black Lives Matter, but many people, if they read what the organization "Black Lives Matter" stands for in their charter and the backgrounds of the individuals who are in charge of it will question or disagree with things in the organization's platform.  Players may want to distinguish between the two and this may be a good way to do it.

Apparently ratings for the the season opener between the Chiefs-Texans on Thursday night game were down about 11-16% from last years Packers-Bears game depending on who reported it.  Its just one game.  On the other hand, it was just reported that the ratings for the Cowboys-Rams game were down over 25% from last years first Sunday night game.  And the Cowboys are usually a solid draw.  Again, just one game....but if the trend continues...I would expect the networks to use that in negotiating the new TV contract amounts.   

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2020, 09:56:24 AM »
I agree that the "End Racism" slogan may be a more effective approach than BLM.  I think everybody supports the notion that Black Lives Matter, but many people, if they read what the organization "Black Lives Matter" stands for in their charter and the backgrounds of the individuals who are in charge of it will question or disagree with things in the organization's platform.  Players may want to distinguish between the two and this may be a good way to do it.

Apparently ratings for the the season opener between the Chiefs-Texans on Thursday night game were down about 11-16% from last years Packers-Bears game depending on who reported it.  Its just one game.  On the other hand, it was just reported that the ratings for the Cowboys-Rams game were down over 25% from last years first Sunday night game.  And the Cowboys are usually a solid draw.  Again, just one game....but if the trend continues...I would expect the networks to use that in negotiating the new TV contract amounts.

Like so many other things, you can look at the same data and come away with different conclusions.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/ct-nfl-tv-ratings-20190911-vndcvaa7nzhhhb42fudrxf7oky-story.html

Meanwhile, apparently NFL merchandise is flying off the shelves. So, either the NFL is in trouble, or they're doing fine. I'm not going to argue either case, just present another viewpoint from someone else. Because I'm going to watch the games if possible, but probably won't buy any merch- I've already got about six Packers T-shirts, four or five caps, a sweatshirt, swim trunks and several workout shorts. So I'm good.

Offline Minny Packer Fan

• Rookie
« Reply #147 on: September 15, 2020, 10:58:26 AM »

Like so many other things, you can look at the same data and come away with different conclusions.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/ct-nfl-tv-ratings-20190911-vndcvaa7nzhhhb42fudrxf7oky-story.html

Meanwhile, apparently NFL merchandise is flying off the shelves. So, either the NFL is in trouble, or they're doing fine. I'm not going to argue either case, just present another viewpoint from someone else. Because I'm going to watch the games if possible, but probably won't buy any merch- I've already got about six Packers T-shirts, four or five caps, a sweatshirt, swim trunks and several workout shorts. So I'm good.

Is the date of that report correct September of 2019?  Granted...yes...I will be very interested in how the full slate of games turned out.  I would imagine that the Buc's (Brady) against the Saints (Brees) matchup did very well for Fox.  Hopefully they are able to keep the rating at least steady.  I'm also seeing rating drops in the NBA and MLB, but with COVID-19 and everything, we are not at normal and peoples viewing habits I think are in flux right now.  If anybody could do it...its the NFL.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2020, 10:42:20 PM »
A few more tweets from Colin Kaepernick, showing what he is about:

"The white supremacist institution of policing that stole Breonna Taylor’s life from us must be abolished for the safety and well being of our people."

"When civility leads to death, revolting is the only logical reaction.
The cries for peace will rain down, and when they do, they will land on deaf ears, because your violence has brought this resistance.
We have the right to fight back!
Rest in Power George Floyd"

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2020, 11:08:47 AM »
A few more tweets from Colin Kaepernick, showing what he is about:

"The white supremacist institution of policing that stole Breonna Taylor’s life from us must be abolished for the safety and well being of our people."

"When civility leads to death, revolting is the only logical reaction.
The cries for peace will rain down, and when they do, they will land on deaf ears, because your violence has brought this resistance.
We have the right to fight back!
Rest in Power George Floyd"

Exactly what change has happened after 4 months of violence?   The law is the law, burning buildings down doesn't change it.