October 25, 2020, 07:35:21 AM

Author Topic: Protests during the National Anthem  (Read 4930 times)

Offline The GM

• HOF Member

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Protests during the National Anthem
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2020, 06:03:36 PM »
https://www.theblaze.com/amp/nba-to-pull-blm-messages-next-season-2648132130?__twitter_impression=true

Well, that was fun.

Pulled a statement from the article that was perceptive:

It should be noted that nearly all major sports have experienced a ratings decline in 2020 as off-schedule seasons and empty arenas have proven to be significant drawbacks for viewers. Given the confluence of events, it is difficult to determine precisely why fewer people are watching.

Sometimes things are more complicated than we want to believe.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2020, 08:31:38 PM »
True, but I have no doubt the injection of politics into sports is one factor in the ratings decline.  Especially with the NBA, who have taken it further than most.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2020, 09:14:33 PM »
True, but I have no doubt the injection of politics into sports is one factor in the ratings decline.  Especially with the NBA, who have taken it further than most.

No argument on that point. But some people say that is the only reason for the decline in viewership, when there are many factors to be considered. Including 2020 being an unusually sucky year.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2020, 09:41:54 AM »
No argument on that point. But some people say that is the only reason for the decline in viewership, when there are many factors to be considered.
Not only are the sports leagues directly suffering lower ratings, sports news programs have also taken a hit.  ESPN especially has fallen off of a cliff.  I know just speaking for myself, I used to (casually) watch First Take and Undisputed fairly regularly (annoying as they were).  But they've become so political and super woke that I don't bother with them at all anymore.  Well, I'm probably better off anyway.  But yes, I agree there are still other factors at play. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2020, 10:02:00 AM »
No argument on that point. But some people say that is the only reason for the decline in viewership, when there are many factors to be considered.
Not only are the sports leagues directly suffering lower ratings, sports news programs have also taken a hit.  ESPN especially has fallen off of a cliff.  I know just speaking for myself, I used to (casually) watch First Take and Undisputed fairly regularly (annoying as they were).  But they've become so political and super woke that I don't bother with them at all anymore.  Well, I'm probably better off anyway.  But yes, I agree there are still other factors at play.

+1,  Used to watch Undisputed every day.  Havent watched it in 4 months when it became a BLM, Kaepernick infomercial and Shannon Sharpe became Shannon Sharpton.   I get what they want to do but this drinking from a fire hose approach has turned many people off. JMO

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2020, 12:56:10 PM »
+1,  Used to watch Undisputed every day.  Havent watched it in 4 months when it became a BLM, Kaepernick infomercial and Shannon Sharpe became Shannon Sharpton.   I get what they want to do but this drinking from a fire hose approach has turned many people off. JMO
Agree, Sharp used to seem the more reasonable of the two (not hard when you're opposite Bayless), but he went completely off the rails.  Frankly, it was a barely tolerable watch to begin with lol.