May 19, 2019, 08:55:57 PM

Author Topic: Tennessee-Chattanooga last year, Tennessee-Martin this year???  (Read 2167 times)

Online B

• HOF Member
Tennessee-Chattanooga last year, Tennessee-Martin this year???
« on: February 07, 2013, 03:56:56 PM »
Like QB B.J. Campbell last year, DT Montori Hughes, started his college career in the SEC at Tennessee. Also like Campbell, Hughes finished his college experience playing as a big fish in a small pond at a lesser division and quality of football.

At 6-5 328 lbs, this big man can move - running a 5.02 40 yard dash. The kid has some issues to delve into and is a bit of a character risk -  Hughes started the 2010 season as the starter at Tennesee, but was later dismissed from the team due to several non-football incidents.

Hughes is a gifted athlete for his frame, who despite some character issues has a skill-set that could translate well to the National Football League. He is quick, strong and tough, with an explosive first step, natural burst and balance. He is competitive as Hell and has a good motor on the football field.

With decent coaching, if this kid can get his head together, he could be a steal on Saturday, April 27 (day 3 of the draft) in the late 4th or early to mid 5th round IMO

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:58:09 PM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
Re: Tennessee-Chattanooga last year, Tennessee-Martin this year???
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 07:57:38 PM »
Some have said his character issues are overblown

Offline PackerBacker2012

• Second String
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 08:04:50 PM »
Some have said his character issues are overblown
From the tape I've seen on him he looks soft, gets pushed around even against inferior talent. IMO he will be a bust, but I've been wrong before.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 05:13:31 AM »
I'm tired of having a bunch of goody-two-shoes on this team. I want someone who can start up a bar fight and take on 5 different guys at once. If he has any character issues that include being a big, nasty, bad-ass MFER then we should take him.

But if what PackerBacker says is true then he's just a pushover.

Offline armchair qb

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 05:41:31 AM »
This teams biggest off field issues are Finley saying dumb things and Walden occasionally roughing up his wife (scumbag).  Walden is only around because he's practically free and he is currently getting his 1 second chance.  TT just does not take guys with known issues.  At least none that I can think of.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 06:03:08 AM »
I'm tired of having a bunch of goody-two-shoes on this team. I want someone who can start up a bar fight and take on 5 different guys at once. If he has any character issues that include being a big, nasty, bad-ass MFER then we should take him.

Off-topic but think you will like the story. I live in Dallas area and socialize w/ lots of Aggies. (Texas A&M grads) Before Johnny Football had played his third game, one of the older Aggies says to me he loves Manzel. The reason wasn't his running ability or his accuracy in throwing the ball........Manzel had gotten into a bar fight w/ some unsavory characters. He then said if that wasn't enough, they found him w/ a fake ID because he wasn't old enough to be in there. His teamates respected him and all of the old crusty guys thinks he walks on water.

That's the kind of player you are talking about.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 07:14:51 AM »
I can see how posting 17 winning seasons in the last 20 years (another being 8-8) and winning 2 Super Bowls could lead one to desire more $%^holes. 

50PoundHead

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 08:17:06 AM »

Mossy Cade for DB coach?

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 09:21:23 AM »
I'm not sure what tape you're looking at - but this kid is not soft.

Like I said, he is competitive as Hell and plays with attitude. He talks a lot on the field, which I don't mind from a defender, but at Tennessee he talked to much in practice, which most coaches mind quite a bit.

I've heard he's grown up, moving from the SEC to a lower level of ball can and he is no where near the "Titus Young" kind of character risk.

I think he is worth checking out, especially he will be available in the later rounds, despite having high round measureables.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline ClayAttack420

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 09:47:18 AM »
I wouldn't mind a mean crazy a** d-lineman or lb. Just build them a cage with weights and let them out on gameday. In all seriousness we do need one or two mean guys on D to make you think about getting to close. Being finesse on offense is ok. Being finesse or nancys on D is not. I still want Tramon gone after not showing interest in tackling. He has got to guard that corner on running plays. Young guys might learn something seeing him shipped.

Capers hasn't been resigned yet has he?