October 27, 2020, 11:23:20 AM

Author Topic: McCarthy/Dallas  (Read 479 times)

Offline IBleedGreenGold

• HOF Member
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
McCarthy/Dallas
« on: October 04, 2020, 07:07:37 PM »
Dallas looks familiar to the MM teams in Green Bay. Lot of offense-at first and not much D. Sure turned them around in a hurry. Same old excuses too.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: McCarthy/Dallas
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 08:17:32 PM »
Dallas looks familiar to the MM teams in Green Bay. Lot of offense-at first and not much D. Sure turned them around in a hurry. Same old excuses too.

MM has a terrific OL and a terrific RB, and the Cowboys pass about 65% of the time. And their defense stinks. Maybe he can work on their pad level. Or utter the immortal words: "We're going to fix/address that" about perceived problems. Though he was a very good coach for a few years in GB, he clearly had outlived his stay. When he lost the respect of Rodgers, he was doomed. And how long will Jones stick with the coach if this season continues to circle the drain?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 08:52:36 PM »
I've always hated Dallas, and the criticisms of McCarthy's Cowboys are valid.  I was hoping he would do well in Dallas however, for old times sake.  They may get better as the year goes on, but it looks like they are still going to be a middle of the pack type team, or worse.  McCarthy should be given his chance, traditionally new coaches don't perform that well in their first year with a team.  We were a little spoiled last year with MLF's 13-3 record.  But Jones may not have the patience.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 08:30:37 AM »
There's the never ending discussion, does the QB make the coach or the coach make the QB?

We've seen, I think, coaches ruin QBs. David Carr was, imho, ruined by his coaching staff. So coaches can wreck things.

We're watching, right now today, Brady and Bellichick try to establish who was who in Patsville.

But I think McCarthy is showing that Aaron made him. I guess we have to allow that McCarthy fixed Aaron's mechanics and Farve taught him how to scramble; I suppose we all think had Aaron gone to Cincinnati or Cleveland he would not have gotten two MVPs and a SB ring. I think we all also think that had we switched coaches after the SB Aaron would have a couple more rings.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 09:05:04 AM by marklawrence »
These are the nine people whose votes will determine our next president. Your vote means nothing.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 10:30:28 AM »
Maybe not right after the SB, but definitely after the Seattle debacle, with the Packers dominating the game, but the Seahawks being allowed to come back, get the onside kick and ultimately win. After that, MM and AR went their separate ways, and their situation only got more toxic, with MM proving he was too stubborn to change the offense to make it more productive, depending on Rodgers to somehow pull games out with his heroics. Recall, MM was the guy who didn't feature Aaron Jones, decided that WR's were going to win one-on-one battles, even when it became apparent they couldn't, and let the entire team be unmotivated for games.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 01:03:56 PM »
I remember a lot of talk that McCarthy wouldn't scheme the receivers open, but wanted them to win one on one matchups.  But it now appears that MLF is scheming guys open.  It also seemed like the whole Packer community on the message boards embraced Aaron Jones before McCarthy did.

I'd like to see McCarthy have some success with Dallas, for old times sake.  Just not too much success.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 04:33:16 PM »
Bill O'Brian just got fired by Houston. Probably a few years too late. The guy was a failure, and they make him GM also? Of course, the Packers did this with Mike Sherman, and that was also a huge mistake. Right now, the Cowboys are 1-3; and if Atlanta hadn't shown epic incompetence, they'd be 0-4. And why? The defense is ranked 30th.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=D&cat=T

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 05:13:28 PM »
The defense is ranked 30th.
Sounds like the McCarthy curse, all right.  The better the offense is, the worst the defense has to be to compensate.
Maybe he had more to do with the defense than we thought.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 09:18:30 AM »
There's the never ending discussion, does the QB make the coach or the coach make the QB?

We've seen, I think, coaches ruin QBs. David Carr was, imho, ruined by his coaching staff. So coaches can wreck things.

We're watching, right now today, Brady and Bellichick try to establish who was who in Patsville.

But I think McCarthy is showing that Aaron made him. I guess we have to allow that McCarthy fixed Aaron's mechanics and Farve taught him how to scramble; I suppose we all think had Aaron gone to Cincinnati or Cleveland he would not have gotten two MVPs and a SB ring. I think we all also think that had we switched coaches after the SB Aaron would have a couple more rings.

Agree with most of this, especially the ruination of Carr behind a disgraceful O line.

Looking at how Rodgers is going this year, you may also be right about more SBs, though winning it all does take a good chunk of luck as well.

McCarthy had it relatively easy when he could rely on Rodgers and stellar receiver depth for that iso route philosophy. La Fleur (so far) looks much better at scheming guys open.

As for spelling Favre, Farve..................hmmm.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 09:22:02 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 10:00:31 PM »
Read this article in this morning's paper, and found it revealing. As usual, McCarthy can be as stubborn as a Missouri mule if he thinks he is right. And as far as the terrible defense of the Cowboys goes, he's right, not matter what the stats show.

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) -- The Dallas Cowboys have never given up as many points and yards through four games than they have under first-year coach Mike McCarthy and the new defensive scheme that came with him.

Blown assignments, poor gap control and bad tackling have fueled those per-game averages of 37 points and 431 yards in a scheme more complicated than most of these players had under the previous coaching staff.

McCarthy doesn't think simplicity is the answer with the Cowboys (1-3) coming off a 49-38 loss to Cleveland and facing the winless New York Giants (0-4) on Sunday at home in a divisional matchup from the woeful NFC East.

''The worst thing we can do is narrow everything down and be a one-call defense,'' McCarthy said. ''I refuse to do that. That's not the path. We have a defense that fits our players, and we have to make sure we are getting those guys in position.''

Change the defense not playing up to par with the Cowboys, and make it the Packers offense not playing as well as it could, and MM constantly saying the players just needed to play better, and there you have a recipe for McCarthy's main problem: ego. He's right, he knows best, and if the players only played the way they were supposed to, everything would be fine. Just like not playing Jones; not trying to scheme the WR's open; not trying a new approach when it was apparent he was losing the confidence of his players, especially Rodgers. In this case, the defense sounds like it's ready to give up. But then again, he's a very good coach who won a SB and had a very good winning percentage in GB. Will he be willing to change DC's next season? Because there is no way that Jones puts up with this for long. Oh, and here's the full article; living in Texas, we get a lot of Cowboys coverage.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cowboys-try-stay-course-amid-glaring-defensive-struggles-213708758--nfl.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKAcmRZozST2izG35ntQf-87750dq1Rse7BophWZVat9XiEZ3WN7TRsRHINtvSS_fkCF_GIGm-wwg3lUJ3i45azD2r0ZF6CcugU5YsRfzwSrUEsLDROpSNitrUeZ97w2uZKs6vU2-AZMaOpCX0rXqpqXJDCyB834P4eB3dPPe_Xy

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 06:49:11 AM »
Could be time for MM to hang up his coaching spurs and go into broadcasting.
And God so loved the Green Bay Packers, He reached forth his mighty hand and stamped his initial upon the sides of their helmets!--Lombardi 3-16

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 10:04:02 AM »
Could be time for MM to hang up his coaching spurs and go into broadcasting.

If Jeff Fisher and Norv Turner could get multiple jobs, McCarthy will be given at least one or two more chances. I still think if he is let go, he'll end up with the Jets. Young QB that needs to be developed, which is supposed to be a strength of his, and seriously clueless ownership make this likely.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 05:05:28 PM »

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 07:15:38 PM »
And the unraveling begins... https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/20/unnamed-cowboys-call-out-new-coaching-staff/
Oh boy.  That "no sense of adjusting on the fly" sure sounds familiar.