December 01, 2020, 01:01:48 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Colts Game Day Thread  (Read 1229 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v Colts Game Day Thread
« on: November 18, 2020, 01:46:36 PM »
This is a game that has me worried. The Colts have a terrific defense, and are actually the best passing defense in the NFL:

(From Sportsnaut) 2. Indianapolis Colts (LW: 3)
After Tennessee’s opening, 67-yard touchdown drive, Indianapolis did an excellent job defensively. While Derrick Henry had a few big runs, racking up 103 rushing yards on 19 carries, the Colts’ secondary excelled. After the Week 10 performance, on a short week no less, Indianapolis is holding opponents under 200 passing yards per game this season. On top of that, they’ve allowed the lowest passer rating (78.9) in the NFL.

They are also very good against the run, on average allowing less than 100 yards per game. So, the Packers better be ready for the Colts to try to dominate them physically, as other teams have done, even in losing. Because the Packers, by NFL standards, are a soft team. They have individuals who are tough, but overall? Their defense doesn't put fear into any team. Add in that the Packers are going to be playing the Bears next in prime time, and this has the looks of a loss. The last time something like this lined up, it was the Vikings and SF on a short week. Agreed, it was Dalvin Cook who was spectacular, and the Colts don't have as strong a running game. But if Rivers played like he did the last time these two teams faced each other, it could be a long afternoon for the Packers. Maybe this feeling of dread will pass; I hope so. But right now, this is a game that I've got a really bad feeling about.

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Colts Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 02:00:54 PM »
The secret is out.  Smack the Packers in the mouth and see if they respond.  Tbe lowly Jags did it last week and stayed in the game.  Granted, the conditions weren't the best, but its going to be a problem for the Packers when they face physical teams.  Gotta step it up. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 03:18:26 PM »

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 07:55:53 AM »
The Colts have a terrific defense

On the road, these are the games Packers struggle.

Looked at Colts offensive stats and better than I expected #15 yards / #14 points.

Rivers only 11 TDs and 7 interceptions, QBR #22 in league.  Hopefully our defense can continue to make him not look so good.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 10:16:14 AM »
Something is in the air in Green Bay. Both MLF and Rodgers have spoken about the Colts game, and both seem relaxed and confident. It's as if they've seen something they can exploit. Maybe this is going to be like the Texans game back in 2012. The Packers weren't playing very well, the Texans were cruising, we were going to their place, and I thought all was lost. But as the game got closer, for some reason I began to feel more and more confident in a Packers win. And Rodgers threw four TD's and the team won going away, 42-24. Right now, that is the trend in my gut. We'll see. But gloom and doom is giving way to the break of dawn.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 03:02:09 PM »
....Looked at Colts offensive stats and better than I expected #15 yards / #14 points.

Rivers only 11 TDs and 7 interceptions, QBR #22 in league.  Hopefully our defense can continue to make him not look so good.

I wonder if the yards and points is helped by the defense?  If the defense is making a lot of stops and getting you the ball back, that's more plays and opportunities for the offense?  In other words, perhaps those are pretty average volume stats.  But maybe the efficiency. stats aren't quite as favorable?  The flip might also be true.  If you're winning all the time, you can play a pretty conservative offense. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 05:11:48 PM »
Adams was held out of practice today. On a guess, it seems he'd be a game time decision. The question being, will the Packers again err on the side of safety and hold him out? Or will they have him on a snap count? Or will they just let him play? I know what Adams would say; but he doesn't have the final say.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 06:55:32 PM »
Something is in the air in Green Bay. Both MLF and Rodgers have spoken about the Colts game, and both seem relaxed and confident. It's as if they've seen something they can exploit. Maybe this is going to be like the Texans game back in 2012. The Packers weren't playing very well, the Texans were cruising, we were going to their place, and I thought all was lost. But as the game got closer, for some reason I began to feel more and more confident in a Packers win. And Rodgers threw four TD's and the team won going away, 42-24. Right now, that is the trend in my gut. We'll see. But gloom and doom is giving way to the break of dawn.
Agree, this feels like one of those games where the Packers might withstand a punch.  The Colts defense is legit, but Rodgers may have his weapons arsenal stronger than its been in weeks.   Cautiously optimistic for this one.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 06:36:33 AM »
Hard to guess.  Not sure when the last time was that the Packers were able to operate well versus a good defense.  And the Colts conservative short-underneath passing and running attack seems a misfit for our prevent defense which is vulnerable to exactly those things.  So I could easily see this being kind of a domination, like the Tampa game and the Chargers and 49ers games last year. 

But, who knows.  It's not like Indy is unbeatable.  They've lost 3 games, including to Jags and Browns.  Some of their wins haven't been against the greatest teams (NY Jets, NY Giants, Bears, Lions, Cinci). 

Their defense is good, but they've had some games giving up some points (opponents have at least gotten into the 20's or more in half of their games...). And they've had a couple of games where they didn't score 20's, and others barely. 

So it's not implausible to get a 27-20 win, or something like that. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 10:37:38 AM »
Here is what the defense should expect. The question being, if the Packers know what to expect, will they adjust to meet this style of offense?

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/colts-quick-passes-yac-worrisome-for-packers-defense-423

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 09:32:44 PM »
It sounds like the Packers are getting some guys back who were injured recently.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/19/packers-injury-updates-on-davante-adams-jaire-alexander-kevin-king/

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 12:41:28 PM »
Colts are a good defense..  OL is good also with the best guard in the game, Nelson.

But, I think we benefit from what the same thing the Jags did.  IMO, the Jags would have won that game with Minshew.

Rivers is a shell of the Pro Bowl QB he was.  Brissett is better. That gives us the advantage.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 12:42:26 PM by Gregg »

Offline whiterook87

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 02:34:13 PM »

Is King made of glass??? He was a in full participant in practice all week and then goes from a Quad to an Achillies injury?

Bill Huber
@BillHuberSI
·
2h
Packers P JK Scott (personal) has been added to the injury report and is questionable for Sunday's game against the Colts. He will not travel with the team. CB Kevin King (Achilles) has been added to the injury report and is questionable.
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 04:08:33 PM »

Is King made of glass??? He was a in full participant in practice all week and then goes from a Quad to an Achillies injury?

Bill Huber
@BillHuberSI
·
2h
Packers P JK Scott (personal) has been added to the injury report and is questionable for Sunday's game against the Colts. He will not travel with the team. CB Kevin King (Achilles) has been added to the injury report and is questionable.

This is an excerpt from a Packerswire report:

King started each of the first four games. He broke up 15 passes and intercepted five in 2020. A free agent after this season, King has missed 23 games due to injury since entering the NFL in 2017.

I'd be shocked if the Packers re-signed him to anything but an low guarantee, incentive laden contract.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 04:25:35 PM »
The Packers have never beaten the Colts in Indianapolis, including the most frustrating game I ever attended in 1997 when the 8-2 Packers were a 13 point favorite and lost to the 0-10 Colts 41-38.

Packers vs. Colts:

Regular season, all-time: 20-22-1
All-time, Postseason: 1-0
All-time, on road: 8-13-1 (0-1 at Lucas Oil Stadium)
Streaks: The Colts are 4-0 while playing at home versus the Packers since the franchise moved to Indianapolis in 1984