March 09, 2021, 01:31:55 AM

Author Topic: Cap space  (Read 2360 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Cap space
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2021, 05:57:42 PM »
Releasing Preston Smith with a post-June 1st designation will save $12M instead of $8M right now.

This would make it more difficult for P. Smith to join another team. But it would be good for the Packers. As usual, team needs will be prioritized over players. Remember this the next time you want a player to take a "home town discount."

Well, P-Smith has already banked $24.35M in two seasons with the Packers.

I think he will understand the business side of that decision.

And, I really can't remember the last time any Packer of prominence gave the Packers a home town discount.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 06:00:28 PM by dannobanano »

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2021, 08:25:50 PM »
.........The Packers were $19.99M over the projected $180M cap. ..., but that was before they let Wagner and Kirksey go. So now the amount they need to shed is ~$11.5M....

Designating P-Smith as a post 6/1 release would save $12M more in cap. So that would fix the overage, straight up.

Any other further massaging of contracts gives GB ammunition for 2021.

Danno, if the cap ends up being $183 instead of $180, then maybe they'd only need to shed ~$8.5? 

But, don't they need to shed that prior to the 6/1 release window?  So, maybe in a little bit of a pickle? 
1.  *IF* they release Preston earlier, they shed only $8. 
2.  But *IF* they want to shed the $12 by releasing Preston after 6/1, then they've first got to shed $8.5-11.5 earlier than that?  In order to carry Preston till 6/1?

I think I've seen 1265 suggest that they need to shed the $8.5-11.5 apart from Preston to get under the pre-June cap;  then he suggested they could release Preston in June, and use that $12 to sign/resign expenses?  Does that make sense? 

Then Preston's $12 could go a long way towards signing draft class, Tonyan, and some other costs or mid-priced FA's that aren't presently guaranteed?  Does that make sense, or not really, or I'm just misunderstanding the details?.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2021, 08:46:30 PM »
Well, P-Smith has already banked $24.35M in two seasons with the Packers.

I think he will understand the business side of that decision.

And, I really can't remember the last time any Packer of prominence gave the Packers a home town discount.

The fans are the ones that always want the players to show loyalty to the team and give up money to stay with the team. But only if the player has exceeded his contract. If they underperform, cut their butts, because loyalty only goes one way. Yes, it's a business. But it's also sports. Which means we become emotionally involved, buy merchandise, and spend time talking about the team on sites like this. The players? They know it's a business. Except maybe Gilbert Brown, who was going to sign with Washington (I believe), but instead paid to fly to GB, and basically told the Packers he wanted to play with them or no one, just make a decent offer.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline TAYLORBOY

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2021, 09:42:33 PM »
Preston Smith could be a June 1st cut....or a restructure depending upon if/who they sign in FA/draft . That DL isn't exactly loaded

Also Preston was at Washington the same time Barry was the DC. Maybe Barry feels Preston is a good fit in his scheme plans...

One thing for certain this could be a wild ride...2020 just won't go away..

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2021, 05:20:59 AM »
For those that may not understand the post June 1st rule, Smith can be cut as soon as the new league year begins on March 18th(?) and still be designated a June 1 cut. His roster bonus of 4M is scheduled to be paid on the 3rd day of the new league year so the Packers would need to cut him on the 18th or 19th, if that is the decision they have made with him. Preston Smith would be free to work out a new deal with any team he wishes to at that point, he would not be held back until June 1st. This is a rule agreed upon by their labor union by the way.

Now ricky you will need to find something else today to apply your always offended all the time liberal spin to, I give you about 30 seconds and I'm sure you will have another half dozens things that are earth shatteringly unjust you can bang your keyboard about.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2021, 06:55:09 AM »
March 17: New League Year Begins & Free Agency
The 2021 NFL league year starts at 4 pm ET on March 17. Teams can begin to sign new

I'll ignore the insults.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2021, 07:06:01 AM »
Others based on lack of performance:

Vernon Scott    610,000
Holdman           675,000
Redmond DB     750,000
Boyle                750,000  (likely gone via FA)
Scott P              750,000
Josh Jackson     1.07 mil
Oren Burks        750,000
Greene                  ?

Drafting a capable punter who get punt inside the 5 yd. line not the 20 and one that doesn't shank punts would be nice.

The only highlight Greene had was a combined sack on Wentz.  The other highlights were wide receivers scoring TDs against us.

Boyle is gone and will likely end up elsewhere like Oakland after they trade Mariotta.

Josh Jackson, what have you done in the time you've been here?

This is a list copied from acmepacking.

Here is the list of the Packers’ 14 unrestricted free agents heading into the 2021 offseason:

DL Montravius Adams
WR Tavon Austin
ILB James Burgess
RB Tyler Ervin
DL Damon Harrison
RB Aaron Jones
CB Kevin King
TE Marcedes Lewis
C Corey Linsley
S Will Redmond
G Lane Taylor
OT Jared Veldheer
RB Jamaal Williams
DL Billy Winn

And 6 restricted free agents.

QB Tim Boyle (undrafted)
S Raven Greene (undrafted)
DL Tyler Lancaster (undrafted)
CB Parry Nickerson (6th round pick)
CB Chandon Sullivan (undrafted)
TE Robert Tonyan (undrafted)

There is no need for the Packers to cut or trade any of these players Joe, because they are not currently under contract with the Packers and do not count against the salary cap.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2021, 11:10:49 AM »
For those that may not understand the post June 1st rule, Smith can be cut as soon as the new league year begins on March 18th(?) and still be designated a June 1 cut. His roster bonus of 4M is scheduled to be paid on the 3rd day of the new league year so the Packers would need to cut him on the 18th or 19th, if that is the decision they have made with him. Preston Smith would be free to work out a new deal with any team he wishes to at that point, he would not be held back until June 1st. This is a rule agreed upon by their labor union by the way. ...

Thanks, RT, that was me not understanding.  That's really helpful.  To review:
1.  If cut now, he'd have $8 in dead cap counted against 2021, none in 2022.

2.  If cut ~March 18th under new league year, they can just cut him, and take $8/$0 cap hits.  Which they don't want.

3.  So they can designate him as a June 1 cut, even though it's only March, and spread the cap hits to $4/$4. 
-Thus freeing $12 instead of $8.

4.  Even if he's formally cut in March but designated as a June 1 cut, he's immediately free. 
-This gives player time to find his next deal.  Why the weirdness of doing a "June 1 cut" in March

5.  If the Packers haven't cut him by day 3, they certainly won't cut him later. 
-To pay the $4M roster bonus for a guy you're going to cut anyway would make zero sense
-Thus the purpose of having early roster bonus protects players from getting held and released in June, after teams have already spent their money and built their rosters. 

6.  So, basically Preston's situation may remain uncertain until new league year.  If he's not released by day 3, we'll know he's back and not released.  If he is going to be released, that must wait until new year. 
-The only way to know his fate sooner is a restructure is agreed upon sooner. 

Makes sense!  Any flaws in my understanding? 

Again, RT, thanks much for the clarification. 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2021, 11:13:24 AM »
One last dumb Q:  are there any calendar dates, other than the season opener, by which they must get below the cap? 

They don't need to get under by the start of the new league year or anything, do they? 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2021, 01:02:51 PM »

They don't need to get under by the start of the new league year or anything, do they?

Yes.
They do need to be under the cap limit by the start of the new league (business) year.

March 17, 4 p.m. ET
The official start of the 2021 league year.

All 2020 player contracts expire at this time, and clubs can begin signing new free agents. All reported trades and signings can’t be announced by the teams until the new league year begins.

All 32 teams must be below the cap number at the start of the new league year.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2021, 01:44:07 PM »
Thanks, danno.  So, that wasn't a dumb question, glad you answered that.  :)

Not to belabor Preston or assume he's the guy who they'll want to cut to help make the cap.  But *IF* they want to cut him as a way to get under the cap for the new league year, then they can NOT use the June 1 thing; prior to the new year they can only reduce his 2021 cap hit by $8, not by $12.

Note:  I think it's kind of unfair to ask GM's to get under the new-year cap when it's less than a month and they haven't even decided it in detail yet.  The difference between $180, $181.5, and $183 might impact what a GM wants to do.   

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2021, 09:15:18 PM »
Is using a 2021 tag on Aaron Jones a viable idea ? About $8m+ for a 1 year rental (that's relatively cheap).

Aaron Jones himself might hate it, but you couldn't say the Packers didn't try to sign him with an offer that was (I think) in the $12m range. I guess the big question is would AJ play as hard as he did last season ?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 09:19:25 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2021, 07:10:39 AM »
1265, I wouldn't be at all worried about whether Jones would play hard.  I don't know where they'd come up with $8 to pay him, and at what expense to other parts of the team.  But effort, I wouldn't worry about that at all. 

Offline TAYLORBOY

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2021, 10:36:59 AM »
Preston Smith's fate is a wild swing from one side to the other on keep or cut..I watched Preston on taped NFCC and really he takes some plays off...especially run plays....in the 4th he really played hard and got good pressure though....

One other thing I remember was Pettine used Preston in drop coverage quite a bit...not really one of his strengths...

Barry could bring out the best in Preston

Here is a good article on Preston...good reasoning

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/five-reasons-packers-could-keep-preston-smith

Aaron Jones??? if I remember correctly  :o Jones wasn't happy with the Packers offer because of the amount of GUANTEED MONEY....not really the yearly dollar amount..so maybe the tag would be a way of solving that and could be a good way of transitioning from this year to next year when hopefully the cap is more solidified..
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 10:44:04 AM by TAYLORBOY »

Offline TAYLORBOY

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2021, 10:46:01 AM »
OK...so here is the next article on Aaron Jones....makes some sense

I must have my green and gold glasses on today  ::)

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/history-says-packers-wont-play-tag