March 09, 2021, 03:27:56 AM

Author Topic: When the SHTF  (Read 383 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: When the SHTF
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 01:13:53 PM »
Hands, the "nuclear question" is one that has a lot of aspects that need to be addressed. But that's another question. You asked about how many other states had blackouts? Here's an article looking at that very subject (spoiler alert- 14 states are beginning "rolling blackouts", but only for a few thousand customers at a time, and only for short periods of time):

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/15/us/storm-blackouts.html

The question of whether Texas would be better off being affiliated with the national grid, rather than being independent, is also a subject that is worthy of informed debate. Also, there is a former Texas mayor who decided to tell people they should just deal with no power, take care of themselves, and not expect the government to do anything for them.

https://www.newswest9.com/article/news/local/former-colorado-city-mayor-under-fire-for-facebook-post/513-fe6dbca3-7c8e-4a43-8205-e971e5b93a2e

An interesting viewpoint. Elect me as mayor, and I won't do anything to improve anything. And if something bad happens, tough. Not my problem. A rather peculiar idea of "public servant". This is not to suggest that everyone give up any personal responsibility; only that when times get bad, it's time to try to help others as much as possible, after making sure you and yours are OK. JMO.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2021, 02:51:16 PM »
The cheapest and most reliable power plants are nuclear. Once people realize that and start building them again, will be a win-win for all.

Hmmm. does that take into account the cost of de-commisioning when their shelf-life ends...............and safe radioactive waste storage, for thousands of years*?  Just asking ?

* Paying another country to store the radioactive waste after de-commisioning  doesn't count, it just shoves the problem elsewhere onto people less well equipped to deal with it safely, over a very, very long time.

If only we could get a good handle on cold fusion, it would avoid much of the negative consequences of power generation. Maybe in the future someone will find a way to utilise an entirely new energy. Harness gravity-waves or something equally exotic. Given how fast tech has advanced, who knows what the next 30 years will bring.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 02:53:03 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2021, 05:54:42 PM »
Learn how to can meats. They will keep on a shelf for 6-7 years with no refrigeration. We are already canning ground venison.
Agree with Mark on rice and beans.

Pay attention to the first post regarding:
Generators
Gas
Water
Wood burner w/ wood (if you have to, find some place NOW that sells wood and buy a couple of cords)
Also, buy yourself a "JetBoil" and as many gas cannisters as you can find. Heats water FAST w/ minimal fuel usage.

You can fill a bath tub (before utilities crash) with potable water. Not great, but better than nothing.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2021, 06:58:46 PM »
The cheapest and most reliable power plants are nuclear. Once people realize that and start building them again, will be a win-win for all.

Hmmm. does that take into account the cost of de-commisioning when their shelf-life ends...............and safe radioactive waste storage, for thousands of years*?  Just asking ?

* Paying another country to store the radioactive waste after de-commisioning  doesn't count, it just shoves the problem elsewhere onto people less well equipped to deal with it safely, over a very, very long time.

If only we could get a good handle on cold fusion, it would avoid much of the negative consequences of power generation. Maybe in the future someone will find a way to utilise an entirely new energy. Harness gravity-waves or something equally exotic. Given how fast tech has advanced, who knows what the next 30 years will bring.

Well as a matter of fact the US does have a great storage facility for the spent rods. There are actually two solutions, but I'll tell you about one. This is not secret, but not well known either. About 3 hours outside Las Vegas is the government's nuclear test site. After you get through the gates, you drive another half-hour just to get to the offices. Along the way, you see these very, very large holes. Those holes are actually isotope testing that was done too close to the surface. There is no danger of radiation, the actual test are more than a mile underground through solid rock. We made or attempted to make a fiber cable that was gas blocked.  The government was testing isotopes and getting the data any way they could. The fiber cable gave a thousand X more data than a electrical cable but each test only got nanoseconds of data. It was great business...$100s/meter of cable compared to 2-3 dollars/meter. When they quit testing, I think in mid-90s, they had plenty of room to handle radioactive rods from power plants. There was a ton of discussion about that topic. If they can set-off isotopes w/o any radiation leaks they can store rods there for eternity or until solution one becomes available.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2021, 09:03:24 PM »
Want to read about a post-apocalyptic world? Get Cormac McCarthy's "The Road." They made a movie, but I haven't seen it. The book was more than depressing enough for me. It did get a 74% critics rating, and 68% viewer rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Warning, though, this is a bleak, harsh look at what could happen if things got really bad. The interesting this is that the cause is left ambivalent, though it's thought to be a meteor strike. Similar to what happened when the dinosaurs went extinct, or the theories about the "Younger Dryas". Or maybe it was a comet. Whatever- if you're thrust into that kind of world, the last thing you're going to be interested in is arguing over the cause. What will be important is survival. And you might well end up canning something other than venison.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 06:40:42 AM »
Want to read about a post-apocalyptic world? Get Cormac McCarthy's "The Road." They made a movie, but I haven't seen it. The book was more than depressing enough for me. It did get a 74% critics rating, and 68% viewer rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Warning, though, this is a bleak, harsh look at what could happen if things got really bad. The interesting this is that the cause is left ambivalent, though it's thought to be a meteor strike. Similar to what happened when the dinosaurs went extinct, or the theories about the "Younger Dryas". Or maybe it was a comet. Whatever- if you're thrust into that kind of world, the last thing you're going to be interested in is arguing over the cause. What will be important is survival. And you might well end up canning something other than venison.
Yeah that's getting into Billy Meier's area of predictions. It seems (not verified) that China and Russia are working to get nuclear weapons out into space to force a meteor/comet into a different direction when it's vectoring heading is earth. They have asked NASA to join them. I know Armageddon all over again but they seem to be giving Meier's prediction some credence.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2021, 09:11:09 PM »