March 25, 2019, 05:09:15 PM

Author Topic: Barrett Jones- does anyone make more sense for the first pick?  (Read 3663 times)

Offline armchair qb

• All Pro
Barrett Jones- does anyone make more sense for the first pick?
« on: February 15, 2013, 05:21:07 AM »
I was thinking about this yesterday and wondered what others had to say.  Personally I want a D lineman or ILB for our first pick but was thinking, would Jones make more sense than any other pick?

Jones has demonstrated that he is an outstanding interior lineman and can also play on the outside.  He has first round talent and would give the packers a lot of flexibility within their O line.  While I don't believe that OL is our greatest need, if this guy is sitting there does it not make extremely good sense to pick him?

edit: some of the things I find most intriguing: multiple championships, remington winner, outland winner, and often find him associated with descriptions such as SMART, MENTALLY TOUGH, GOOD DECISION MAKER, HARD WORKER etc...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:32:12 AM by armchair qb »

Online TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
Re: Barrett Jones- does anyone make more sense for the first pick?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 07:26:39 AM »
A bad foot ona big guy is as bad as on a RB

57packer

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 07:34:25 AM »
I like Jones and have said so in other threads, but I'll offer some reasoning for not taking him in Rd 1.   He is not going to play LT in the NFL.  I see him as and OG/OC, which are not really premium positions.  I was OK with taking Jones in Rd 1 at one point in the season when it was clear Saturday was done and it was not clear anyone else could handle the OC spot.  In that scenario I saw Jones as an immediate starter at OC and if you are going to have a rookie starting at OC you want a smart kid who can lead. 

Once EDS was inserted in the starting line-up and showed that he at least belonged, I began to regard the drafting of Jones in a different light.  At this point he might be only an incremental improvement over Lang or EDS.  Heck there is a good chance he'd come in and not play much at all his rookie year.  That to me, is not the best use of a 1st Rd pick.  If we were to select a DT/NT, that guy would likely contibute significant snaps from day 1.  An ILB might be much the same, especially if Hawk were released or Bishop is not 100% right away, and would surely be heavily involved in special teams at the very least.  A WR in Rd 1 would be part of the 4-deep right from the get-go I would think - especially if Jennings is gone.  Even a RB (much as I don't want one in Rd 1) would have better odds of seeing the field more than Jones.   If a Rd 1 guy is not going to play as a rookie, it should be at a high value position like QB, LT, CB, etc.

Offline JimATX

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 08:36:47 AM »
Barrett would be a great pick @ #26.

Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Offline emc2feld

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 08:56:28 PM »
Halfway through the season I would have said he would be a perfect pick as he has lots of versatility on an offensive line that desperately needs an upgrade.  A couple things have changed since then...

1) EDS started playing well at center.  LT is a higher priority, and with Sherrod and Bulaga coming back and Newhouse a solid backup, the Packers are hopefully set at tackle.

2) Adrian Peterson and Colin Kaepernick torched the Packers defense.  Should big defensive linemen (Jenkins from Georgia or Williams from ALA) or a great linebacker (Ogletree from GA) fall to the Packers, I'd rather see them draft that person.  I think I'd even rather see Ertz from Stanford at this pick.

3) A trade out of the first round for a high second and additional picks make more sense.  I think Barrett Jones could be available at the top of Round 2.

4) He's injured.  The last thing we need is another offensive lineman (or any player) coming off of an injury.

5) He's lots of finesse and little power.  This would be a decade of Mike Flanagan/Scott Wells/Jeff Saturday at center all over again.  The Packers have struggled in short yardage running situations long enough.

6) I'm not sure I like the idea of GB spending 3 of their last 4 first round picks on offensive linemen.  It's happened 2 of the past 3 and it's still an area of need.

Jones is an incredible value in Round 2 (if he somehow falls to the Packers second pick or if they trade to the top of Rd. 2).  He's too high at #26.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 08:58:01 PM by emc2feld »

Offline PackerYakker

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 09:38:19 PM »
FYI, Mike Mayock has Barrett Jones ranked as the #3 OC behind Frederick (WIS) and Schwenke (CAL). 

Offline DWhitehurst

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 03:22:57 AM »
FYI, Mike Mayock has Barrett Jones ranked as the #3 OC behind Frederick (WIS) and Schwenke (CAL).

Really like Schwenke. I'd argue he'd be the best OC prospect for the Packers. I wouldn't complain a bit if they used their 2nd rnd pick on him.

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 07:04:16 AM »
it looks like a lot of guys are now ranking jones out of the 1st round.  i tend to agree.  i think he will be a really good center and a solid guard but i would take cooper all day everyday over him.  i see cooper as being special... like a pouncey type or better.  I think jones is close to his ceiling.  while i like Jones alot i would take him at 26.  if we traded back from 26 then i could see it.

Offline PackerYakker

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 08:06:51 AM »
Agree on Cooper, he's the shutdown CB of OG's. An amazing player and one of a very few that wouldn't have me aggressively trying to trade back if they were on the board at 26.

Schwenke is a nice prospect, plays fast, aggressive, pretty at good hitting moving targets. Lots to like. As others have said, I'm not sure OC is a big enough need to justify a high pick.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 06:26:57 AM »
A bad foot ona big guy is as bad as on a RB

Ogden retired as a Raven because of a foot injury.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 09:56:01 AM »
Count on me as another who would prefer Cooper. i think there is a distinct difference in class between the two.

I don't hate on Barrett Jones. His greatest value is that because he can play T/G/C, he can be a solid option at LT, which allows Sherrod the time to get NFL strong and ready. Then if Sherrod can secure the LT spot he can slide in to C. Draftniks seem to rate Cooper and Warmack above Jones and Frederick and Warford a little below. I do entertain hopes of getting Frederick or Warford with our second round pick. Warford could start a real bunfight between Lang and EDS for the starting center spot. Frederick should be tried at center first (playing lighter, at about 325lb), shifting to guard if he proves not athletic enough for an NFL center.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 02:04:13 PM »
IF Jones is healthy, he is an interesting prospect because of his versatility.  Very few pure centers are worth a number one.

But I agree that we need more power in the middle of the line.  I would be interested in Cooper, Warmack or Frederick, even Schwenke.  That is if Cooper or Warmack can move to center.

I am not sure about EDS being the keeper at center.  I look at him more as a stopgap necessity since TT made a  rather predictable mistake in Saturday.

The point is we have little depth at guard or center.  So I think we need a guy who can play both.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 04:22:27 PM »
I was thinking about this yesterday and wondered what others had to say.  Personally I want a D lineman or ILB for our first pick but was thinking, would Jones make more sense than any other pick?

Horrible… I’d rather the Packers trade the pick for a 3rd rounder than waste it on Jones- the 3rd round pick would be of better value.

Jones is a byproduct of the Alabama machine. Just watch him against any kind of speed- he can’t handle it.

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 09:08:16 AM »
IF Jones is healthy, he is an interesting prospect because of his versatility. Very few pure centers are worth a number one.

But I agree that we need more power in the middle of the line.  I would be interested in Cooper, Warmack or Frederick, even Schwenke.  That is if Cooper or Warmack can move to center.

I am not sure about EDS being the keeper at center.  I look at him more as a stopgap necessity since TT made a  rather predictable mistake in Saturday.

The point is we have little depth at guard or center.  So I think we need a guy who can play both.

while i agree with you i think the thought that only certain positions go in the 1st round has changed with the rookie salary cap.  now that guys cant get a 70mil contract right out of the gate the risks are brought back to earth.  now you can draft a guy you like even if he isnt a high ceiling guy.  I have really no problem drafting any position (less punter and kickers of course) in the bottom on the 1st.

that said your right if you take a center in the 1st he better be special and a guy you see in the pro bowl in the near future.  i see that in cooper. 

50PoundHead

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 02:50:24 PM »
IF Jones is healthy, he is an interesting prospect because of his versatility.  Very few pure centers are worth a number one.

I think Jones is a Top 50 guy, but do we draft him at 26?  Doesn't seem to be value there.  We really haven't had a decent C since Flanagan, who wasn't a powerful guy but was simply a phenomenal athlete for a C.

If we trade out of the first, I could see Jones as being one of our 2nd round picks, but like several others on the thread, I worry he may be one of those great college players who got by on smarts over physical talent at Alabama.  Curious to see how he tests at the combine.